Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:19:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The performance claims and prices are unrealistic  (Read 5237 times)
pcm81 (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

You know......

With so many f*** Crypto/Hash and ASIC experts in this thread... by now the planet should be flooded with bit-coin producing ASICS

Please just  go buy an FPGA development board and build a demo engine ... or at the very least go do some research.
At the end of it.....you may even be able to have a decent conversation about clock buffers.........

Hold on a sec, I promise i will reply. Just give me a few moments to google what a clock buffer is/does.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:28:34 AM

You know......

With so many f*** Crypto/Hash and ASIC experts in this thread... by now the planet should be flooded with bit-coin producing ASICS

Please just  go buy an FPGA development board and build a demo engine ... or at the very least go do some research.
At the end of it.....you may even be able to have a decent conversation about clock buffers.........
Hold on a sec, I promise i will reply. Just give me a few moments to google what a clock buffer is/does.
No need to, I think what he meant to say is GTFO.

There has been dozens and dozens of people who did extensive cost analysis already, Thank you anyway.

Even if it took 2 year to pay for your said ASIC R&D, remind yourself bitcoin isn't going to stay in the XX$ range forever and some people will want do it even at a lost to secure the network.
abbyd

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:51:19 AM

Damn, people here know their sh*t!  A bit of FUD/BS here and there, but some good debates!
If only the NSA agent on this forum would post, and bring us a few years into the future...

A few thoughts:

* OP's post title could be applied to ANY technology industry: cars, phones, etc. - IT'S CALLED MARKETING.
* I doubt anyone here is particularly concerned with export restrictions - this is bitcoin, not a Corporation X board meeting!
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 06:01:49 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 07:51:49 AM by mrb

You know that 1110 hours is only a month and a half, correct?
Yes i do, but by the time you add in the cost of electricity, occasional down time, the designers profit margin etc, you are talking close to 6mo to pay for your ASIC chip.

Which is why BFL is selling ASICs (for an instant profit) instead of mining with them for months to recoup their investment. Congratulation for logically deducing that BFL's business actually makes financial sense, therefore is realistic!

PS: will you promise me that you will write an apology, once I receive my ASICs from BFL in the next few months, proving that you were wrong?  Grin
pcm81 (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:41:31 PM

Yes i do, but by the time you add in the cost of electricity, occasional down time, the designers profit margin etc, you are talking close to 6mo to pay for your ASIC chip.

Which is why BFL is selling ASICs (for an instant profit) instead of mining with them for months to recoup their investment. Congratulation for logically deducing that BFL's business actually makes financial sense, therefore is realistic!

PS: will you promise me that you will write an apology, once I receive my ASICs from BFL in the next few months, proving that you were wrong?  Grin
Please specify what "few months" means in real numbers. I don't think you will get 4.5GH/s for $150 price tag at 1000MH/J as the Jalapeno is specced here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be the "doom cryer" or a pessimist, I would LOVE to see ASIC products to be available for bitcoin. I just don't think it will happen. By ASIC i mean true asic, not FPGA conversion.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 03:03:49 AM

Please specify what "few months" means in real numbers. I don't think you will get 4.5GH/s for $150 price tag at 1000MH/J as the Jalapeno is specced here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be the "doom cryer" or a pessimist, I would LOVE to see ASIC products to be available for bitcoin. I just don't think it will happen. By ASIC i mean true asic, not FPGA conversion.

I see no point in continuing this discussion. I tried to reason with you but you avoided to answer all the technical arguments I spent time writing down in this post explaining that ASICs are very plausible. Besides, it is now proven that you were wrong. As widely reported today, "it happened": jgarzik, a core bitcoin developer, has received the first ASIC unit, and is mining with it as we speak. So, please stop trolling the forums.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: