Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:17:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bank of England wants centralized and anonymous Bitcoin version.  (Read 626 times)
owm123 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 11:50:23 PM

Bank of England looks into ‘centralised’ bitcoin alternative, RSCoin

https://thestack.com/cloud/2016/03/10/bank-of-england-looks-into-centralised-bitcoin-alternative-rscoin/

Referring to transparency of funds, Meiklejohn explained that an RSCoin ledger could be published publicly by a central bank. She added that the system’s design would also allow a central bank to make transactions entirely, or partially, anonymous.

Why Banks wound not be happy with fully transparent ledger? What are their afraid of? And why to centralized it? What's the point of centralized cryptocurrency then? They already have centralized system anyway currently.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 11:59:20 PM

Banks want to design their own cryptocurrency because they don't want to see a shift in power to decentralized corporations.
The whole purpose of liberalism is to maintain the power in the hands of a few and banks want to protect that!
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:10:21 AM

https://thestack.com/cloud/2016/03/10/bank-of-england-looks-into-centralised-bitcoin-alternative-rscoin/

Referring to transparency of funds, Meiklejohn explained that an RSCoin ledger could be published publicly by a central bank. She added that the system’s design would also allow a central bank to make transactions entirely, or partially, anonymous.

Why Banks wound not be happy with fully transparent ledger? What are their afraid of? And why to centralized it? What's the point of centralized cryptocurrency then? They already have centralized system anyway currently.

they want it centralized because if not then they will not have control over people's money.
they are happy with transparent ledger. that's actually all they want. nothing more, nothing less.
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:22:11 AM

I read something about that on newspapers today, they want a copy of bitcoin, that is centralized and with one key that could freeze or stole user coins. I see it as a bad copy that no one that believe on bitcoin would use it.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 3463

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 06:29:06 AM

So Another bank is trying to take control (like all the others) but not in regards to blockchain but rather to build their own alt coin in which they will have full control of, but with some transparency as promised. The only point someone use this, is for transaction fee's and no other benefit will be given to users which it sucks considering they could take 10 more steps into improving the situation for their users.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:30:05 AM

A centralized version can not be anonymous. Centralized version may be just an electronic format of fiats. I guess with internet banking we're already having it.
How a bank will tackle 51% hash power attack with their own private blockchain?
kingntking

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:54:19 AM

That would be a fake copy of bitcoin, I doubt a bank in the current time can actually use an anonymous version of Bitcoin or any currency, decentralization is an important part of bitcoin core as well.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 08:17:59 AM

I read something about that on newspapers today, they want a copy of bitcoin, that is centralized and with one key that could freeze or stole user coins. I see it as a bad copy that no one that believe on bitcoin would use it.

Thats it.
But not just in England, in quite a few countries in the EU this could be seen.

louisLavery

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 08:42:01 AM

At a guess, I think the BoE wants, in part,  a more efficient way for the banks to transfer reserve currency between themselves. At the moment it's likely pretty inefficient and done at the end of each day, AIUI, They likely want a system that updates throughout the day, a system that's fit for the internet age, not the legacy system they have now, that's fit only for the age of the quill pen. Seems reasonable to me. I don't see it as a competitor to bitcoin. It'll not make much difference to bank customers other than large transactions might be verified more rapidly. It ought reduce costs to banks and BoE but whether customers will benefit remains to be seen.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 08:55:17 AM

a centralized copy of bitcoin is nothing more than a worse version of an altcoin, and we have plenty of those in the altsection

at best only a portion of their citizen will accpet that shit, i prefer to deal with altcoin at this point than touching anything centralized
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:00:20 AM

Interesting news article you have there. I doubt their plan will succeeded.

a centralized copy of bitcoin is nothing more than a worse version of an altcoin, and we have plenty of those in the altsection

at best only a portion of their citizen will accpet that shit, i prefer to deal with altcoin at this point than touching anything centralized

Yes agree. If I were to use a centralized version of Bitcoin, I'd prefer Altcoin or normal fiat.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:08:21 AM

There is plenty to hide and more money flows behind the curtains and closed doors that we can imagine. That is the reason why Bank of England want to have their own version of digital currency.
Their ledger would be a joke, where only insignificant and standard transactions will be stored.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:51:23 AM

So Another bank is trying to take control (like all the others) but not in regards to blockchain but rather to build their own alt coin in which they will have full control of, but with some transparency as promised. The only point someone use this, is for transaction fee's and no other benefit will be given to users which it sucks considering they could take 10 more steps into improving the situation for their users.

This is pure nightmare. Forget about the cheap transactions if a bank is having the whole control and a masterkey to freeze and steal what you think you own.This is a bigger scam than the actual fiat scam.At least with cash in your pockets this cash is out of control from banks and governments.
With such a stupid coin they plan to launch you would be enslaved totally.
SuperCoinGuy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Defender of Bitcoin

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 11:58:50 AM

The banks want a centralized version of Bitcoin so that they can pre-mine all the coin and offer you loans later on with high interest fees obviously  Grin
ctlaltdefeat

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 12:01:01 PM

not this time for the banks to do that, it takes a fairly long process to receive the ledger, they are still thinking about the consumer and their income is still stable and the main destination of people save their money, but I believe the next few years, there will be some banks that started receiving ledger.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: