Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:49:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Security PSA: Using brave could seriously compromise your privacy  (Read 273 times)
tkoham (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 07:26:54 AM

It's explained better here, but the essence of it is that the Brave browser tracks every detail of the user's actions, down to what the mouse hovers over and such, natively, and stores the info locally. While Brave Inc doesn't technically collect this information, they still have access to it and will be leveraging it for sale to their nebulous "partners" now and in the future. I would not trust these people with any amount of Bitcoin, or provide such a centralized, desirable attack surface to would-be intruders on my machine. Don't believe me, give their FAQ a careful read. the fact they're marketing their product as private and secure is something that needs to be talked about, and people need to be informed about the privacy implications associated with the product.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
27aume

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

Hi, i'm a pationed about cryptos and their symbol.

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 03:06:49 PM

It's explained better here, but the essence of it is that the Brave browser tracks every detail of the user's actions, down to what the mouse hovers over and such, natively, and stores the info locally. While Brave Inc doesn't technically collect this information, they still have access to it and will be leveraging it for sale to their nebulous "partners" now and in the future. I would not trust these people with any amount of Bitcoin, or provide such a centralized, desirable attack surface to would-be intruders on my machine. Don't believe me, give their FAQ a careful read. the fact they're marketing their product as private and secure is something that needs to be talked about, and people need to be informed about the privacy implications associated with the product.

ANONIZE algorithm: Separate your identity from the marketing information that is tracked.
https://basicattentiontoken.org/index/
https://brave.com/

trying to make a good balance between our privacy and marketing needs is hard and not easy to understand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: