Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:02:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple iPhone Factory Unlocking - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158490  (Read 5376 times)
theboss (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:05:20 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 08:43:46 PM by theboss

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

This service is now provided by "wtfvanity" here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158490

17zXyv5ty7DoukdGHtAReHymR8BewjPUkX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:26:33 PM

A couple questions...

1) Is this unlock performed remotely, or do I have to ship my phone to you?
2) Does this involve any kind of jailbreak, or is the stock iOS left intact?
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:02:15 PM

A couple questions...

1) It's a remote unlock (I forgot to add that to the listing); All that is required is the IMEI number and the model being unlocked
2) It does not require a jailbreak; it's a permanent factory unlock that always stays with the iPhone

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:08:04 PM

A couple questions...

1) It's a remote unlock (I forgot to add that to the listing); All that is required is the IMEI number and the model being unlocked
2) It does not require a jailbreak; it's a permanent factory unlock that always stays with the iPhone
Very nice...
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:12:03 PM

To get my service started (and prove my legitimacy), I'm willing to do my first unlock via BTC for very small amount:

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:22:54 PM

To get my service started (and prove my legitimacy), I'm willing to do my first unlock via BTC for very small amount:

Alright, I'll take you up on it for that price.
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:39:47 PM

Great, you can PM me your IMEI and iPhone model.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:06:05 PM

Great, you can PM me your IMEI and iPhone model.
Sorry, changed my mind after reading this:  http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090816175338AA61UpL

It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't trust anyone on the internet anymore.  Wink
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:12:51 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2013, 08:49:55 PM by theboss

Not a big deal, I don't really see what harm anyone can do with an IMEI though.
There, unfortunately, isn't another way to factory unlock an iPhone without the IMEI.

Many people on here know were I'm employed and have much of my info for previous trades (and I would be willing to share those details with trustworthy people) if that helps build trust.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:30:29 PM

Note that this service is now illegal in the US.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-unlock-phone-illegal-20130125,0,3942514.story
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:47:10 PM

Not quite, this policy/law is only for phones that are purchased brand new on or after January 26th. 2013:

"'Legacy' or used handsets purchased before today can still be unlocked without any finger-wagging from federal courts."

Also:
"So, what does this mean exactly? Well, Electronic Frontier Foundation attorney Mitch Stoltz told us, "What's happening is not that the Copyright Office is declaring unlocking to be illegal, but rather that they're taking away a shield that unlockers could use in court if they get sued.""

Source:
Library of Congress: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf
Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/26/unlock-phone-exemption-ends/

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:51:44 PM

Quite right.

Just putting it out there because a lot of people don't know about this yet.
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:57:55 PM

Quite right.

Just putting it out there because a lot of people don't know about this yet.

Thanks for the info, I added that requirement to the list just to be safe!

iPhone's can still be unlocked if purchased after that date, it's just up to the purchaser if they don't mind taking that risk.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:02:44 PM

Does the phone currently have to have service for it to work? Say I moved to the iphone 5, have an old iphone4 sitting around, it has no SIM card in it now... but would love to toss it on tmobiles $30 prepaid plan.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:06:39 PM

There, unfortunately, isn't another way to factory unlock an iPhone without the IMEI.

Many people on here know were I'm employed and have much of my info for previous trades (and I would be willing to share those details with trustworthy people) if that helps build trust.
From what I understand (and this is just from some quick random internet reading), someone could emulate or rewrite a phone's IMEI to gain access to the same plan at the original phone is on.  So, theoretically, you could take my IMEI and put all sorts of fun stuff (text messaging, data roaming, purchases, etc) on my next phone bill.  I am no expert, so it could be that this is completely wrong.

I'm not saying you would, as I really don't think you would, but I don't like to take chances like this anymore.  If you could point me to a reliable source stating that this isn't possible, then I might reconsider.  Also, the trust-building things you mentioned wouldn't hurt.
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:06:55 PM

Does the phone currently have to have service for it to work? Say I moved to the iphone 5, have an old iphone4 sitting around, it has no SIM card in it now... but would love to toss it on tmobiles $30 prepaid plan.

It does not need to be in service to be unlocked

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:08:51 PM

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp%3Fsid%3DKB414532%26cv%3D820#fbid=WfLJgTwPamw

ATT says they do it for free if your old account wasn't unpaid or terminated early. If you are a current customer, the account has to be in good standing.

I never realized that before, google search showed me that. I'm just going to submit it to ATT.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:14:09 PM

From what I understand (and this is just from some quick random internet reading), someone could emulate or rewrite a phone's IMEI to gain access to the same plan at the original phone is on.  So, theoretically, you could take my IMEI and put all sorts of fun stuff (text messaging, data roaming, purchases, etc) on my next phone bill.  I am no expert, so it could be that this is completely wrong.

I'm not saying you would, as I really don't think you would, but I don't like to take chances like this anymore.  If you could point me to a reliable source stating that this isn't possible, then I might reconsider.  Also, the trust-building things you mentioned wouldn't hurt.

I don't have an official source but it's likely hard, if not impossible, to "create" a new/different IMEI number on an iPhone's Logic Board.

I understand your precautions and don't blame you for having them. I'll PM you for some more details about me.

theboss (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:18:26 PM

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp%3Fsid%3DKB414532%26cv%3D820#fbid=WfLJgTwPamw

ATT says they do it for free if your old account wasn't unpaid or terminated early. If you are a current customer, the account has to be in good standing.

I never realized that before, google search showed me that. I'm just going to submit it to ATT.

You're correct, the main benefit to my unlocking service compared AT&T is listed below:

•Less wait time (typically unlocked in 24 hours vs. 5-7 business days)
•No application denial (Any iPhone that meets my requirements will be unlocked or you get a full refund)
•Unlock for iPhone's whose contract has not yet expired/terminated (AT&T will not do an unlock for iPhone's still under a contact)

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:21:02 PM

You're correct, the main benefit to my unlocking service compared AT&T is listed below:

•Less wait time (typically unlocked in 24 hours vs. 5-7 business days)
•No application denial (Any iPhone that meets my requirements will be unlocked or you get a full refund)
•Unlock for iPhone's whose contract has not yet expired/terminated (AT&T will not do an unlock for iPhone's still under a contact)

If they deny me, I'll PM you. Not in a hurry, it's sat in a draw for a month.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: