Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:41:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More Bitcoin extorsion demands  (Read 1671 times)
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:01:17 PM

... The people behind these DDOS quite often also offer the victim several payment options. But as always Bitcoin is receiving all the blame.
"Other payment options" such as?

Western Union, Money Gram, prepaid debit cards and I am quite sure that there are a few other options too where you can get the money without leaving any personal details behind.
ahpku

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:01:51 PM

This was surely just a duplicate of the earlier attempt or rather something similar that has no validation at all. It seems that most just jump in with a hope of getting easy money through this way (in this case BTCitcoin). Unfortunately most don't spend much to strengthen their security and as result some might still choose a safe way (not risking their website getting dos, if ever) and as result, pay these criminals what they want and that's makes this process to actually never end.
You mean, thousands of institutions should spend billions to harden their websites, just so that you can use BTC?
Might they not think outside the box & ask their jackbooted friends to ban Bitcoin instead? Kill it before it lays eggs, so to say?
ahpku

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:11:27 PM

Western Union, Money Gram, prepaid debit cards and I am quite sure that there are a few other options too where you can get the money without leaving any personal details behind.

WU/MG/most PPCC all require ID. But let's forget about hypotheticals, give me some examples of ransomware which offers multiple payment options.

Like "In December 2013 ZDNet traced four bitcoin addresses posted by users who had been infected by CryptoLocker, in an attempt to gauge the operators' takings. The four addresses showed movement of 41,928 BTC between 15 October and 18 December, about US$27 million at that time" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker#Money_paid
Only not that, b/c that's BTC only Sad
LarryHocks

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 08:07:32 PM

This trend is very alerting. Not only online but also offline scammers/hackers/criminals extort companies.
Even a hospital in the US. I do hope the law enforcement will act harder and very aggressively towards this demands.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 08:42:30 PM

What a way of extortion...
This, however, had already been expected by many before, as and when Bitcoin came into existence, that due to its anonymity and decentralization, it cannot be traced...
This is the easiest way for any criminal to give their activities the outcome these bloody crime forces need to...

calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:32:11 PM

I reckon it is a tooth less threat hoping that payment will be made.  If they had the ability to do it they would have and then asked for payment....... Grin
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:49:14 PM

Offcourse this is bad, criminals thing bitcoin is here to provide them a safe have for their illegal conducts.
In fact i hope it gives the police some extra control to punish them. it's really stupid and it's giving our beloved bitcoin a bad name..
arcticlava

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:56:43 PM

It's very easy to DDOS a certain site and tell them to pay a certain amount of BTC to stop it. In many cases you will get paid as the people that are getting attacked want it to stop directly. It's a shame, but it happens. It's not only Bitcoin. The people behind these DDOS quite often also offer the victim several payment options. But as always Bitcoin is receiving all the blame.

It seems like any entity vulnerable to DDOS should take measures to protect from attack, or hire a service to protect them.
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 10:48:44 PM

It's very easy to DDOS a certain site and tell them to pay a certain amount of BTC to stop it. In many cases you will get paid as the people that are getting attacked want it to stop directly. It's a shame, but it happens. It's not only Bitcoin. The people behind these DDOS quite often also offer the victim several payment options. But as always Bitcoin is receiving all the blame.

It seems like any entity vulnerable to DDOS should take measures to protect from attack, or hire a service to protect them.

Or, since these are Swiss financial institutions we're talking about, they might just call their puppets, the gubermint (who, in turn, will sic jackbooted thugs upon our Bitcoin).

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:07:33 PM

WU/MG/most PPCC all require ID. But let's forget about hypotheticals, give me some examples of ransomware which offers multiple payment options.

Like "In December 2013 ZDNet traced four bitcoin addresses posted by users who had been infected by CryptoLocker, in an attempt to gauge the operators' takings. The four addresses showed movement of 41,928 BTC between 15 October and 18 December, about US$27 million at that time" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker#Money_paid

Some one I know downloaded music and his PC got locked due to a virus. He had to pay €200 and they offered the payment options I listed in order to get his PC unlocked again.
ahpku

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:21:23 PM

Some one I know downloaded music and his PC got locked due to a virus. He had to pay €200 and they offered the payment options I listed in order to get his PC unlocked again.

Right. And someone I know got mauled by a unicorn due to a virus.
Citations or pics. Or it didn't happen.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: