Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 03:55:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I share bitcoin wallet through different users on computer?  (Read 668 times)
Klerni (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:35:49 AM

Hello,

I have huge issue because must share my bitcoin blockchain through different users.
Just finished downloading all data on one user and to avoid downloading it again wanted to share it with different user (just need it very fast - today).
To share blockchain used applications folder (I'm OS X user) and copied all data to place where bitcoin should download files but before it started downloading (made backup before run wallet). Strange thing is that after creating bootstrap file there is nothing happen to import anything..
More, after I deleted bitcoin file from downloading location after running bitcoin wallet its running and downloading files but probably somewhere else? Don't know where because nothing was created after deleting my copied file with bootstrap.. That's true that I changed location of files folder on main user to documents/bitcoin but it's also not downloading it there as second user.

Really must to solve it in next hours otherwise have some problems.. Could u help me somehow import all data from first user to second user, so there is no reason to download all files again? Strongly appreciate.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1304

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:46:40 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2016, 06:17:46 PM by cr1776

Hello,

I have huge issue because must share my bitcoin blockchain through different users.
Just finished downloading all data on one user and to avoid downloading it again wanted to share it with different user (just need it very fast - today).
To share blockchain used applications folder (I'm OS X user) and copied all data to place where bitcoin should download files but before it started downloading (made backup before run wallet). Strange thing is that after creating bootstrap file there is nothing happen to import anything..
More, after I deleted bitcoin file from downloading location after running bitcoin wallet its running and downloading files but probably somewhere else? Don't know where because nothing was created after deleting my copied file with bootstrap.. That's true that I changed location of files folder on main user to documents/bitcoin but it's also not downloading it there as second user.

Really must to solve it in next hours otherwise have some problems.. Could u help me somehow import all data from first user to second user, so there is no reason to download all files again? Strongly appreciate.

A few questions:
1. You are not actually asking about sharing a *wallet* between users, just the block chain, correct regardless of the subject?  (Bitcoin Core, presumably)
2. Are you intending to have both users running Bitcoin Core simultaneously?
3. Are you talking about merely copying the downloaded data with the second user or actually sharing the downloaded block chain at the same time?

A few notes:
1. If you used a bootstrap file, that is slower than actually letting it sync.  At least since 0.10.x.
2. If you copy (not move) the bitcoin folder to the new user and just let Bitcoin Core run there, that can save time.  You won't be sharing the wallet or the block chain between users.

The default data directory on OS X is here:
~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/
See:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory#Mac

So you should be able to copy that directory to the other user.

How did you change where Bitcoin Core is storing its files?  Have you checked to see if it is downloading to the default location?

Klerni (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 09:49:03 AM

A few questions:
1. You are not actually asking about sharing a *wallet* between users, just the block chain, correct regardless of the subject?  (Bitcoin Core, presumably)

yes I mean blockchain, u r right.

2. Are you intending to have both users running Bitcoin Core simultaneously?

that is also correct.

3. Are you talking about merely copying the downloaded data with the second user or actually sharing the downloaded block chain at the same time?

No matter which solution, just working. Tried first one.

A few notes:
1. If you used a bootstrap file, that is slower than actually letting it sync.  At least since 0.10.x.

oh.. didnt know..

2. If you copy (not move) the bitcoin folder to the new user and just let Bitcoin Core run there, that can save time.  You won't be sharing the wallet or the block chain between users.

To be honest I tried copying but the problem if I'm going to create bitcoin folder here ~/Library/Application Support/
and paste all data from copied blockchain it's not getting anything imported. More its updating bitcoin wallet once again and i dont even know where because for sure not in this path (after deleting folder it was downloading still but nothing appeared) and not in place where I set directory on main user.  Its strange..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: