Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:21:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Positive Bitcoin write-up on Zerohedge  (Read 4349 times)
Hermel

Activity: 67
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:16:27 PM

I don't know. Maybe you're right. At this stage I think it's a moot point though -- why destroy Bitcoin when you can control it? And why advertise your power and risk losing everything?
Because you can't print bitcoins at will like with fiat money. They want to protect their power to print money at will and defend their privileges. Destroying bitcoin does this and about losing... what, some millions of $? They have hundreds of billions!

Note that while controlling the majority of the Bitcoin network does not allow you to print Bitcoin, it allows you to raise fees arbitrarily. For example, you could stop processing transactions with a fee lower than 1 BTC.

So the evil master plan would go like this:
1. Invest in enough computing power to control the majority of the network, you control the blockchain now.
2. Stop integrating blocks mined by others in the blockchain.
3. Stop including transactions with a fee less than X, forcing users to give larger fees.
4. Earn lots of transaction fees.
5. Invest transaction fees into more computing power in order to keep the majority.
6. The other miners will starve one by one as they won't be able to earn anything anymore.
7. Bitcoin is now a monopoly which you own.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:17:33 PM

I think they would fail even if they attempted it
That is the problem. If they attempt they will of course succeed, since it is not hard at all.

You're welcome to your opinion.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:20:49 PM

I don't know. Maybe you're right. At this stage I think it's a moot point though -- why destroy Bitcoin when you can control it? And why advertise your power and risk losing everything?
Because you can't print bitcoins at will like with fiat money. They want to protect their power to print money at will and defend their privileges. Destroying bitcoin does this and about losing... what, some millions of $? They have hundreds of billions!

Note that while controlling the majority of the Bitcoin network does not allow you to print Bitcoin, it allows you to raise fees arbitrarily. For example, you could stop processing transactions with a fee lower than 1 BTC.

1. Invest in enough computing power to control the majority of the network, you control the blockchain now.
2.5 Bitcoin is patched, other miners continue on their own chain.
3. Stop including transactions with a fee less than X, forcing users to give larger fees.
4. Earn lots of transaction fees.
5. Invest transaction fees into more computing power in order to keep the majority.
6. The other miners will starve one by one as they won't be able to earn anything anymore.
7. BitGovcoin is now a monopoly which you own.
8. Bitcoin is still happily chugging along.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:22:09 PM

For example, you could stop processing transactions with a fee lower than 1 BTC.
The instant you achieve such control, bitcoin would die because everyone would stop using it.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 12:21:48 AM

Is this forum now fully invested with blowhards these days?  Roll Eyes

... its kind of like watching 7yos talk about what-if techno-monsters that are engaged in make believe battles.

"... and then the Master Megatron dropped out of warp drive and descended on to the bitcoin network with the might and fury of the Decepticons from planet Cybertron ... "

okay kids you had your fun how about find another play-pen?

Hermel

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:38:54 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 02:26:23 PM by Hermel

2.5 Bitcoin is patched, other miners continue on their own chain.
Can you explain what kind of patch you mean? A patch that says the shortest blockchain counts instead of the longest? A patch that privileges a few miners, saying that their blocks must be included in the block chain? A one-time update to the client that hard-codes an alternative (shorter) chain of blocks to be accepted?
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

Oh look, its this thread again.
http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2012/05/neutralizing-51-attack.html?m=0

So not only getting the majority of the hashing power and maintaining it prohibiting, its only trivial for us to thwart.

This is why we wont see a 51% attack. The attacker would just be throwing money down a pit.
Hermel

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 04:44:21 PM

Thanks for pointing me to this blog post!
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

+1
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 11:58:18 PM

I suspect at least 3 different governments consider Bitcoin an 'asset' of theirs, and each have >50Th reserve hashing power (reserve = sitting there, not plugged in)

Oh boy ... which orifice did you pull that from? ... more blowhards ... i guess it is kind of fun living in a fantasy world ... "debate" all you want, I'll leave you to your Decepticons kids.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: