Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 03:05:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balance not showing in Bitcoin core wallet  (Read 1996 times)
Bitconified (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:45:30 PM

Hi everybody:)I just bought 0.1541 worth of bitcoins on localbitcoins and later i transferred bitcoins from my online wallet at localbitcoins to my bitcore core wallet which is installed on my desktop.I used one of receiving address of bitcoin core wallet(1M5ToiHG1NRjsSmE8iwWHePUPYyQNymDGH)which is also appearing on the blockchain as you can see(https://blockchain.info/address/1M5ToiHG1NRjsSmE8iwWHePUPYyQNymDGH) but the problem is that the balance in my bitcoin core wallet is not updated yet.Well i have just installed bitcoin core on my windows PC and it was still syncing and downloading the blockchain when i used the receiving address. Well i think this is the reason my balance is not up to date?After the synchronization the balance will appear automatically?
Thanks
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:59:04 PM

Yes, after synchronization completes you will see your correct balance.

The client is downloading and verifying blocks from way back when the network first went up to this day, so until it reaches the block your transaction was in, it can't know about it. If you are in a hurry, you might want to use a light wallet such as Electrum.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Bitconified (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 05:38:27 PM

The client is downloading and verifying blocks from way back when the network first went up to this day, so until it reaches the block your transaction was in, it can't know about it. If you are in a hurry, you might want to use a light wallet such as Electrum.
Thanks for the quick reply :)I should have used electrum now i am getting a little impatient. Well is there any way i can transfer my balance to some other wallet which its still syncing ?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 04:25:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply :)I should have used electrum now i am getting a little impatient. Well is there any way i can transfer my balance to some other wallet which its still syncing ?

No, but you can export the private key from the console (Help -> Debug window -> Console). Lets assume your password is 'passw0rd', so you enter:

Code:
walletpassphrase passw0rd 180

which unlocks your wallet for 180 seconds.

With

Code:
dumpprivkey 1M5ToiHG1NRjsSmE8iwWHePUPYyQNymDGH

you expose your private key. Make sure no one else sees it. Dont store it in the cloud, dont send it by mail. If you have to transfer it to a different machine use an USB stick.

Now (I assume you have your new electrum wallet open on the same machine here) switch to electrum and:

#1 Make sure you have a backup of the seed.
#2 Make sure you have a backup of the seed. Yes, I just wrote that, but you wouldnt believe how many bitcoins have already been lost because people have no backup of their seed. Make. a. backup. now.
#3 go to Wallet -> Private keys -> sweep, copy the private key into the box and click sweep.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: