Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Armory users!  (Read 20628 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 01:21:17 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2015, 10:05:53 PM by etotheipi

Armory Links: (Armory Homepage) (Get Armory) (Quick Start)  (Cold Storage) (Github Project Page) (Report Issues)

Thanks to theymos for making a subforum just for Armory!  It will now be much easier to discuss smaller issues/bugs/feature-requests without triggering notifications for every user who's ever used Armory!  Don't be afraid to start new threads, even for small things!  It will de-clutter the general-discussion thread, and will make searching for previously-discussed topics easier.

If you're new to Armory, please checkout its homepage, or use the links at the top of this post to jump directly where you want to go.  Please see below for general information about Armory features:

• Deterministic wallets:  Your entire wallet is recoverable from only the root address and a "chaincode."  You only need to backup your wallet once, and your funds will be safe forever.  (NOTE: if you have imported private keys, consider using the "Backup Individual Keys" dialog instead --you can backup both the root key & chaincode, along with the raw private key data for imported keys, all in one screen).
  • Paper-backups:   Print a paper backup of your wallet on one sheet of paper, and keep it in a book on your bookshelf, in a safe, or drop it in a safe-deposit box at your bank.  Paper wallets are superior to digital media, because paper is cheap, easy to store, and you can verify the integrity of the backup by eye.  If you backup your wallet to a USB key, how do you know that it will still work when you plug it in two years from now?  If you can read the characters on the paper backup, you can recover all the funds you ever received to it!
  • One-time-only Backups:  Did you know that you need to backup your Bitcoin-Qt wallet every 100 addresses?  This is a dangerous and unnecessary burden for most users.  With Armory, regardless of whether you make a paper backup or digital backup, it will be good forever.  Do it once (though, maybe multiple copies).  Store it safely.  Never worry again about whether your coins are protected against hard-drive failure
  • Multi-wallet interface:  Manage as many wallets as you want simultaneously.  Armory was designed from the start for multi-wallet operations without limit on number.
  • Usermode Options:   Choose between "Standard", "Advanced" and "Expert", to scale the functionality according to your experience level.  "Standard" user mode has a reduced set of functionality and only presents information necessary for basic wallet management and transactions.  "Advanced" and "Expert" modes have a plethora of extra options and information that most users don't need or want.  
  • Watching-only wallets:  "Watching-only" wallets can be used generate addresses and confirm incoming payments, but cannot spend the money.  Keep the full wallet on an offline computer, and maintain it safely from the online computer.  Or create a master wallet for your business, and give a watching-only copy to your employees to do business.  It's impossible for a hacker (or employee) to steal your Bitcoins if your private keys are on a computer that never touched the internet!
  • Offline Wallet Interface:  This is the holy-grail feature of Armory!  You can use Armory to create a wallet on a computer that will never touch the internet again, and then make a watching-only copy to use on the internet computer.  You can monitor transactions online, and sign transactions offline without needing the blockchain.  And since it doesn't need the blockchain, even a computer with 512 MB of RAM can be used as the offline system.  Please see the offline-wallet tutorial! (you will need a USB key to shuttle data between computers, but the entire process for offline transactions can be done in under one minute!).
  • Wallet encryption with GPU-resistent key derivation function:  AES256 in-place key encryption.  Encryption key is generated with a scrypt-based algorithm to renders GPU-acceleration useless for brute-force passphrase guessing. Speed and memory parameters are calibrated to your system speed.
  • Corruption-resistent wallet files  Wallet code auto-corrects bit-flips on your hard-drive, and also uses a synchronous backup wallet scheme that guarantees no matter which nanosecond the power goes out, your wallet will never be corrupted (or automatically recovered if it does).
  • Import/Sweep Addresses:  Import trusted private keys into your wallets, or just "sweep" the funds to another address in your wallet.  Supports private keys in hex, base58, and mini-private-key format used on Casascius physical bitcoins (it does work with Vanitygen addresses!)
  • Get your private keys!  There is no database software obscuring key data.  All keys are stored in a straightforward binary wallet format, and easily extractable.  If you want to switch to another wallet application, you can simply "Backup Individual Keys" and import them into the other wallet.
  • Developer-Friendly!  Thoroughly-commented Python code.  Thoroughly-commented C++ code.  Thousands of lines of unit-test code for verifying almost every sub-function of the entire library.  Simple wallet files.  And the "Developer" user mode will give you everything you could possibly need to help you with your own development:  browse the blockchain, examine tx scripts, etc.
  • Windows and Linux! (Mac/OSX with some work).  Exhaustive instructions for compiling on the Building Armory page.  Will eventually offer real OSX support, but for now it can be downloaded and installed with only a few terminal commands (after installing xcode).   See Red Emerald's instructions if you want to take a shot at it.  Will eventually figure out OSX packaging, but for now users who attempt to do it with RE's instructions have reported wide success.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 07:21:35 AM

Many links are already not working, time to update it a bit maybe?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 10:42:52 AM

.9 out!

omegaflare

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:06:12 AM

I wouldn't use Armory because it constantly CRASH! Fuck this shit, find another service.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 08:41:48 AM

I wouldn't use Armory because it constantly CRASH! Fuck this shit, find another service.

Lol make your own then

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:44:23 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 10:49:14 PM by Akka

OMG, your are constantly complaynin about a free software where you paid nothing for and which developers work in their free time. Just don't use it and shut up.

If you want a better software, how about you pay the developers something?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Tay

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:46:32 PM

I think this has huge potential.

I love the back up options and with a bit of UI refinement (already posted some screen shots with the UI issue on Github)  and some fixes it'll be great.

I like the fact that it tells me exactly where my BtC is, Multibit doesnt seem to have an option of showing you what is where..damned annoying when trying to tidy up addresses and export priv keys for security.

Keep up the good work.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:54:20 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 01:17:26 AM by thezerg

what github branch should we use if we want something that is mostly stable but contains the latest bug fixes?

EDIT: tried "master" branch seems to work fine
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:26:04 PM

what github branch should we use if we want something that is mostly stable but contains the latest bug fixes?

EDIT: tried "master" branch seems to work fine

Master is only updated with code you'll find in release packages. We have a team of several devs now and each and every one keeps their changes in a dedicated branch until they are stable enough to be merged into the dev branch.

That being said, the dev branch is not guaranteed to be stable at any given point in time. The testing branch is more stable but gets updated way less.

armoryhelper

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 10:03:55 PM

cool, i can post
churst1z

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:47:24 PM

Have you figured out a way to load Armory onto a 32 bit system?  I have an Acer with Windows 7 startup in 32 bit.  Under the Cold Storage instructions I should be able to use the notebook, but Armory will not install on the 32 bit system.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:18:54 PM

Have you figured out a way to load Armory onto a 32 bit system?  I have an Acer with Windows 7 startup in 32 bit.  Under the Cold Storage instructions I should be able to use the notebook, but Armory will not install on the 32 bit system.

Use version 92.3, there's a 32-bit build, and you're not really missing much from 93.x if it's only run in offline mode. You can run 93.1 as your online client, they're compatible.

Vires in numeris
churst1z

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:41:28 PM

Thanks!  But how do I get to 92.3?  I searched for it, but the download always says 93.1.
josephbisch

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:44:22 PM

Thanks!  But how do I get to 92.3?  I searched for it, but the download always says 93.1.

Click on "Previous Stable" at https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:45:13 PM

It's available from this unlikely link:  https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/

Vires in numeris
churst1z

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 04:02:34 PM

Thanks all.  I have it installed successfully.
goldfarb

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 08:48:42 PM

I'm having problems accessing my wallet. I purchased some bitcoins and received confirmation of the release. When I start Armory to run the transaction scan, I encounter one of two problems every time. Either Armory just crashes, or I get an error message that there are missing headers and I'm prompted to restart Armory. When I restart I encounter the same issues. I did a factory reset twice but it's still not fixed. Any suggestions?
rif

Activity: 118
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 28, 2015, 11:45:04 AM

With this purse always some problem, everything seems to be interesting to do a lot of useful features, but works through time.
Trouble821

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 12:45:29 AM

If you're new to Armory, please checkout its homepage, or use the links at the top of this post to jump directly where you want to go.  Please see below for general information about Armory features:

The http://bitcoinarmory.com/ link lead me to the default Apache2 server welcome page. This is an excerpt from it.

This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Ubuntu systems.

It seems like something is broken on http://bitcoinarmory.com/
doug_armory

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 04:47:03 AM

The http://bitcoinarmory.com/ link lead me to the default Apache2 server welcome page. This is an excerpt from it.

This is the default welcome page used to test the correct operation of the Apache2 server after installation on Ubuntu systems.

It seems like something is broken on http://bitcoinarmory.com/

Works for me. It actually redirects to https://bitcoinarmory.com/ but it does work.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: