Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:50:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoins soon be outlawed everywhere if called a currency ?  (Read 6504 times)
cloud9 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:10:08 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 09:34:59 AM by cloud9

Bitcoin network:  I'm the key holder  Smiley

Satoshi:  I'm the key keeper  Wink

Swimmer: "Who you gonna call?"

Dan Aykroyd:  "Ghost Busters!!!"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000101/

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cloud9 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:35:17 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 09:46:12 AM by cloud9

Some more fiction:

Swimmer:  "But its anonymous!"  Huh
Anders:  "No it is not!"  Roll Eyes

Swimmer:  "But its untraceable!"  Huh
Anders:  "No it is not!"  Cheesy

Swimmer:  "But its illegal!"  Huh
Anders:  "No it is not!"  Smiley

Swimmer:  "But you can launder it!"  Shocked
Anders:  "Yes you can!"   Sad

Swimmer:  "But if you LAUNDER it, THEN it will become maybe untraceable or even anonymous!"  Angry
Anders:  "Yes."  Sad

Swimmer:  "But laundering is illegal!"  Angry
Anders:  "Yes it is."  Sad

Swimmer:  "Oh I get it!, Ghostbusters go after those LAUNDERERS we can LITIGATE .... THEM!"  Smiley

All legal Bitcoin users:  Cheer!!  Cheesy

cloud9 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:12:13 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 12:29:42 PM by cloud9

Wouldn't it be illegal in most parts of the world to issue currency backed by an empty promise?

If I bought an internet commodity however at MtGox, called Bitcoin, and it is known to have fairly secure properties as an accounting utility, wouln't that be legal in most parts of the world if I would like to exchange it for goods or services or to sell it?

Really bitcoin.org - see a lawyer about the "currency" thing please.  Are you seeking cheap publicity.  As you are definitely getting it.  For now I will continue to barter my Bitcoin accounting utility which I have bought at MtGox and which I can sell at MtGox if someone wants to buy it or accept it in any barter exchange transaction at the fair market value attributed to my/your Bitcoin accounting utility.  And please everybody - I declare that I am not giving you any currency through the process of our barter, buy or sell transactions.
Do show the applicable laws.

Calling your Bitcoins that you buy/sell/(trade for goods) a currency is stepping into a legal minefield in my opinion, as the financial industry is regulated by numerous laws beyond the scope of this posting, for legislation administrative rulings see http://fincen.gov/

Is calling your Bitcoins that you buy/sell/(trade/barter for goods) a digital P2P crypto-commodity not maybe more accurate and legally acceptable if it is traded/exchanged/bartered or bought/sold not within the scope of financial industry?

It seems like Australia and the United Kingdom's tax offices view Bitcoins in the latter manner.  see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/bitcoin_under_attack/

UK considers Bitcoins legal and taxable unique intellectual property assets? : "... quoting Her Magesty’s Revenue & Customs as saying that turning Bitcoins into currency could make transactions taxable..."  (turning Bitcoins into currency = Bitcoins not a currency, but a digital good?)

Australia considers Bitcoins legal and taxable unique intellectual property assets? : "... If traced by the Australian Tax Office, Bitcoins would probably get the same treatment as “barter” exchanges, with tax assessed on the value of traded goods or services. ..." (barter of digital goods?)

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: