Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:12:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we be doing a no tolerance policy on newbies?  (Read 977 times)
bitcoin revo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:11:36 PM

I'd like your opinions on if we should be acting with a no tolerance policy towards newbies; this includes trying to get loans, exchanging PayPal for bitcoins, all of those shady things that scammers indulge themselves in, but is very possible for a new person to try and do.

So should we be acting out against them instantly, no questions asked, or going with a more friendly but serious tone? I've been thinking about this question for a while now and I haven't been able to think of the best course of action.

Thoughts are appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 03:20:27 PM

"more friendly but serious tone" in my opinion this is the way.
Not every newbie is or will be a scamer. You do remember that you where noob at one time?
They are entitled to make mistakes and post things that they should not.
Ostracism is the last thing i would want on forums in general, aspecialy in high tech like this one.

Pointing out mistakes, guiding through tricky subjects and overal help is what newbies need.
However obvious scamers should be literally destroyed.

onepix

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:59:37 PM

No. This will do nothing more than scare away new members, alot of newbies come here and do deals without causing issues
Also. Why is this in meta? Mods or the forum have nothing to do with this.
bitcoin revo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 05:33:33 PM

It's about the forum and members inside of it, so I figured putting the thread in Meta would be the best choice. Let me know if mods think otherwise.
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 05:51:09 PM

Think limiting access to marketplace would be a good thing. Would eliminate a lot of the problem of new accounts getting tagged for not reading the rules and give them something to work towards.
Alot of the obvious scams are under 40 posts.

Do not think it would cause a drop in memership, might actually establish marketplace more.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 05:56:38 PM

I think it will be a good thing that accounts under the rank of Jr. Member for example can't access the forum sections - Goods - Currency exchange - Lending, and so on. Sounds quite harsh, but it may help.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2016, 06:50:18 PM

Well obviously the first thing that one should do is to try and help them. However, if they ignore your advice then one should be hard on them. As a new member, at least what they could do is read the rules. Unfortunately many fail to even do that.

Depends on what he means by "acting out".

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
lolnabtc

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:59:47 PM

I think it will be a good thing that accounts under the rank of Jr. Member for example can't access the forum sections - Goods - Currency exchange - Lending, and so on. Sounds quite harsh, but it may help.
I don't think limiting them from the Goods section would be a "good" idea. Sure, there are lots of Newbie members who are here to scam (it seems more often than not a Newbie is trying to scam), but there are new members here are well who are genuinely interested in purchasing or selling something. If users use escrow when dealing with Newbie members, they're covered pretty well. Currency Exchange and Lending might be something to think about though, especially the Lending section. I'm not sure I've ever seen a legitimate loan request from a Newbie member (legitimate as in having valid collateral).
Zeke2345

Activity: 98

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 09:42:02 PM

If you watch lending for example, there are threads created daily asking for 2-3 bitcoins with 14 posts and nothing for the loaner to hold.
Just getting that aspect to stop would allow serious loan threads to be read. Once someone is over jr. member they will be less likely to ask for a small loan because they have ability to carry a signature.
Would taper off scamming a little. Also more posts to guage someones trust worthiness.

Do not see it as a attempt to create a business wall for new accounts to climb, like say leaving negative trust for not knowing the rules.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
lolnabtc

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 10:54:27 PM

If you watch lending for example, there are threads created daily asking for 2-3 bitcoins with 14 posts and nothing for the loaner to hold.
Just getting that aspect to stop would allow serious loan threads to be read. Once someone is over jr. member they will be less likely to ask for a small loan because they have ability to carry a signature.
Would taper off scamming a little. Also more posts to guage someones trust worthiness.

Do not see it as a attempt to create a business wall for new accounts to climb, like say leaving negative trust for not knowing the rules.

Well a great example of a lot of Newbie loan requests for ridiculous amounts of bitcoin and no collateral was when ManyProofs was around giving out loans up the yin-yang. That REALLY clogged up the Lending board. I'm not sure if he was loaning out BTC to alts of himself or if he was really giving out huge amounts of money to Newbie scammers, but eitherway it made it tough to sort through and look for valid loan requests.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 12:54:50 PM

How about putting a sticky topic in the market place section saying..
"Using any digital currency is against Paypal's TOS"

And then telling users they will have their accounts perma locked and their funds seized by Paypal.

Why is the forum permitting 75% of all topics in that section to do it ?

It's not legal and i would laugh if this place got sued for it too.

I sat in my lawyers office when i made an apt to discuss this with him.

i also Google'd the email i got from Paypal in late 2013 and guess where i seen it word for word ?
Here in 2012 LOL

It's one thing to play dumb but once you have been caught numerous times
you can't just keep creating new accounts so you can do it again..
actually..i am wrong that is EXACTLY what you can do here LOL

But "Tolerance" i have little for them..
They all spout off like experts here (prob because they are hiding from a past account with a bad history)
You would think NOOB's here would be humble and be looking to learn but they are not like that !
They stomp in here on post 1 shooting their mouth off arguing etc.

Further more what bothers me the most is there is a culture these days on the internet that
has created Meme's (Google what it REALLY means)
What i mean by that is Users who communicate via Youtube links
or for every comment they make they create new parody joke name Disqus account.
For example..
I got a Death threat PM from a guy saying he was going to hire a hitman to kill me here.
14 minutes after "Donator" Kluge gave me a long winded rant about how i was mentally Ill via PM out of the blue
(i had never spoke to or about him before)
I also would bet he was using an "alternate" account for shit coin bs in the altcoin section <-- the root of it all.
What he did i am 90% certain is create a new account name here called "SpoetnikIsFucked"

That account was used to post 1 message then abandoned.
THAT.. Is common.

I have for years here gotten new accounts created simply to Troll on me with a 1 sentence insult.

Such as when i had started to comment late on the Cryptsy Scam topic late on page 75'ish
All of a sudden a new account was created using the name i registered at Cryptsy back in Mid July 2013
Some person came here and posted a couple snotty remarks at me a couple times then never used the account again.
I said on that topic now isn't that fishy..
I had said hey Cryptsy guys how in gods name did my Cryptsy account name get used as a "Troll Account"
on this topic here to lip me off ?
Mullick responded back .. he had no idea.
Interesting how Mullick never came back to Bitcointalk ever again either.
Check his post history and you will see what i just said.

POINT ?

MOST of these noob accounts are NOT noobs LOL
They are old timer users Trolling & scamming.

And by all means slap some rules on them.. put the "Nooby Jail" *back* in too !
When i started i had to post my way out of the nooby jail..

EDIT:
and why would an idiot give a noob a loan anyway ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:02:46 PM

Thoughts are appreciated.

You can't force common sense on someone.

If someone wants to enter into a deal with a newbie, logic dictates they should be well aware of the risks. If not, they deserve whatever the negative consequences resulting from the transaction.
By your logic, scammers should go scot-free , even without a negative because anyone can see his last posts and scour for the scam accusations against him and see his reputation
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 03:47:12 PM

How about putting a sticky topic in the market place section saying..

There is already a sticky on the Currency Exchange board:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14632.0

Nobody reads it.

That's why I started tagging noobs offering PayPal. Otherwise most of those would end up in Scam Accusations where it's too late to do anything.

Being nice doesn't work, most of them know PayPal risks and are deliberately bullshitting with fake assurances.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 09:45:45 AM

In the end "caveat emptor" applies. You also have to consider blocking newbies who have bought members accounts. imho, they are more likely to be scammers. A genuine newbie could have joined to respond to a post in the market place. Banning/blocking him could deprive the board of a valuable contributor.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: