Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:17:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt not unpacking bootstrap.dat  (Read 809 times)
natonnelier (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:13:51 AM

I downloaded a copy of bootstrap.dat for a node I'm trying to set on a raspberry pi (raspbian OS, based on Debian). I placed it on ./bitcoin dir, wich is the right place according to what i read.
Still, when I open bitcoin-qt it acts likes there's nothing there and starts synchronizing the chain from scratch.
Am I missing something?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 11:18:52 AM

What version of Bitcoin Core are you using? In most cases letting it sync is faster compared to bootstrap.dat since 0.10.x.

As far as "unpacking bootstrap.dat", do you mean you left it compressed?
natonnelier (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 11:58:32 AM

Im using Bitcoin-Qt version 0.11.2.
bootstrap.dat is unpacked, sorry if i got you confused there. The problem is bitcoin-qt acts as if it wasn't there.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 01:33:17 PM

bootstrap.dat is unpacked, sorry if i got you confused there. The problem is bitcoin-qt acts as if it wasn't there.
First of all, after 0.10, the bootstrap.dat will not be faster to sync.

Bitcoin core does recognize the bootstrap but it needs to index all of it so it will appear as if it is syncing from scratch.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 01:35:38 PM

Bitcoin core does recognize the bootstrap but it needs to index all of it so it will appear as if it is syncing from scratch.

You can test this with getnettotals. The node should hardly have any network traffic when syncing from bootstrap.dat.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
natonnelier (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:04:42 PM

Wont be faster to sync from bootstrap.dat? Even if I'm using a Raspberry Pi?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 02:16:59 PM

Wont be faster to sync from bootstrap.dat? Even if I'm using a Raspberry Pi?

No it wont, the limiting factor for your RasPi is the CPU. Whether it reads the data from disk/sd or internet does not matter. In fact the bootstrap.dat slows you down, because you first download >60GB of data and later verify it, instead of doing both at the same time (regular sync).

What you can do however is sync the blockchain on a different (besides windows if you are using > 0.12 due to the obfuscation) machine and copy the entire data directory to the RasPi.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: