Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:23:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe him?
yes 100% - 26 (32.9%)
yes, but i think he's pushing it to far.. - 26 (32.9%)
not really - 22 (27.8%)
What he says is complete BS - 5 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] - The U.S. Dollar Collapse Is Accelerating  (Read 6294 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 11:05:58 PM

http://youtu.be/US0c8POzIR4

is the CAD doomed aswell?  http://seekingalpha.com/article/1139891-can-the-canadian-dollar-collapse?source=google_news

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:29:40 PM

When he showed the OBV for the dollar I about shit my pants. Dat volume.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
XxionxX

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

Digital money you say?

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:57:13 AM

I keep reading all this stuff about the dollar, and I feel like I should find some people saying some kind of opposition. Does anyone NOT think the dollar will collapse? Why? This all seems like a far off doomsday scenario even though I understand that this is happening now. Even though I understand, I can't believe it. Why aren't more people worried? I am prepping with what little I have... Not like hedging your bets ever hurt anyone.

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:07:50 AM

Just go read something by Paul Krugman, the international man of idiocy.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:28:11 AM

I keep reading all this stuff about the dollar, and I feel like I should find some people saying some kind of opposition. Does anyone NOT think the dollar will collapse? Why? This all seems like a far off doomsday scenario even though I understand that this is happening now. Even though I understand, I can't believe it. Why aren't more people worried? I am prepping with what little I have... Not like hedging your bets ever hurt anyone.

i go over this alot in my newsletter.  it's called the deflationary theory.
XxionxX

Digital money you say?

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:28:48 AM

Here is a great article contrasting the two views.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 01:32:39 AM

deflation is unacceptable!
governments will fight deflation with inflation, no matter what.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:34:50 AM

deflation is unacceptable!
governments will fight deflation with inflation, no matter what.

until they lose control.
XxionxX

Digital money you say?

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:47:49 AM

I particularly like this quote from Krugman in the Rolling Stone article:

The deficit is way overstated as an immediate action-forcing issue. It's something to worry about over the next decade, but not something that should be dictating your policies right now

Lol wut? You mean, just let the kids in 10 years handle it!? Wtf is this? This is the opposition!?

From his opinion column in the NYT:

You say in the book that higher inflation would be a good thing. That's not something you hear very often.There's nothing in the Fed's charter that says inflation has to be at 2 percent. Back when Ronald Reagan was president they used to consider 4 percent perfectly OK.

I was going to try and play devil's advocate in this thread, but I don't even understand what this man is saying anymore. I think I need to read some more about Keynesian economic theory before I can understand what is going on here...

Can anyone explain this to me?

btcprophet

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:54:54 AM

I know nothing about nothing but here it goes:

Kurgman's position isn't 'party hard on a credit card, let our kids pay for it'. It's a pragmatic observation that if you drastically slash spending in a sluggish economy to balance the budget, you'll inevitably tank the economy and thus also reduce tax income - leaving you with a deficit again plus a nasty recession. And a ginormous debt that we already have that our kids will inherit minus any means to ever pay it down.

Economy is not a zero sum game. Government doesn't (just) spend money on hookers and blow, it educates the next generations of our workforce, builds crucial infrastructure, funds early (commercially unviable) r&d that will power the economy that our kids will work in. That's not wasteful spending that our kids will have to pay for, it's a crucial investment in their future.

Now I believe that the economy is a ridiculously complex, recursive system that we just can't model. Both Keynesians and Austrians latched onto different bits that kind of make sense but neither can guarantee what's going to happen 10 years from now. Interestingly I think there's little disagreement about the effects of 'real' austerity - the death spiral of the current system. From what I can tell, that's kind of the goal of many austrolibertarians - they want to rebuild from there on their (somewhat idealistic) principles. Growing up on the wrong side of the iron curtain has left me deeply suspicious of idealists Smiley.

TLDR: we appear to be on course to economic Armageddon
Austrians: nuke it now and start over with gold!
Keynesians: poke it like we always did but harder! If that doesn't work, it'll nuke itself Smiley

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 11:07:16 AM

Economy is not a zero sum game. Government doesn't (just) spend money on hookers and blow, it educates the next generations of our workforce, builds crucial infrastructure, funds early (commercially unviable) r&d that will power the economy that our kids will work in. That's not wasteful spending that our kids will have to pay for, it's a crucial investment in their future.

Now I believe that the economy is a ridiculously complex, recursive system that we just can't model. Both Keynesians and Austrians latched onto different bits that kind of make sense but neither can guarantee what's going to happen 10 years from now.

Yes, all government does is waste capital because it has no pricing mechanism to perform economic calculation like the market that arises from voluntary human action.

And it is the Austrian school which makes the assertion that you cannot guarantee things in economics because of human action which is inherently unpredictable. So, you misstated.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 07:29:12 PM

Yes, all government does is waste capital because it has no pricing mechanism to perform economic calculation like the market that arises from voluntary human action.
Come now. It's totally possible to have a government that spends money without totally invalidating its nation's markets. If the US doesn't have a pricing mechanism, who's telling the grocery store how much to charge for my peanut butter?

The economic calculation problem is the wogly in command economies, not all government spending everywhere.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:39:59 PM

Come now. It's totally possible to have a government that spends money without totally invalidating its nation's markets. If the US doesn't have a pricing mechanism, who's telling the grocery store how much to charge for my peanut butter?

The economic calculation problem is the wogly in command economies, not all government spending everywhere.

talk to me about Libor.  it's only the most fundamental interest rate upon which all bonds are priced and thus every other risk asset.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:41:15 PM

talk to me about Libor.  it's only the most fundamental interest rate upon which all bonds are priced and thus every other risk asset.

Yep... It's the bankers controlling the peanut butter prices, not the peanut farmers or the grocery store, who should be the two actors concerned with pricing.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:56:20 PM

This is less of an issue than the fact that in the waste of that capital, it consumes goods services and labor.

For example, Instead of doing something that helps grow the economy, Billy Bob is standing around in the airport, frisking up innocent civilians. Jimmy Joe is managing Billy Bob and friends, Mary Sue is managing their payroll, Marky Mark is cleaning their crapper, Big Dave is building the office they all work in and *it's all for nothing*. Repeat this many, many times over. It's a tragedy of waste.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:18:21 PM

And a ginormous debt that we already have that our kids will inherit

ARE WE MARRIED?Huh?

Shocked

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

And a ginormous debt that we already have that our kids will inherit

ARE WE MARRIED?Huh?

Shocked

He's probably speaking as a US citizen and by "we" he means other citizens.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
XxionxX

Digital money you say?

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:58:13 AM

I am no economist but... This is looking like it might be bad(Or good if you hold silver, gold, or bitcoins).

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 01:02:54 AM

I am no economist but... This is looking like it might be bad(Or good if you hold silver, gold, or bitcoins).

Weed has been under price for years now... fuck gold and silver buy weed and bitcoins.

XxionxX

Digital money you say?

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:29:13 AM

Weed has been under price for years now... fuck gold and silver buy weed and bitcoins.

I have plenty of weed, it is the others I need.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: