Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:14:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If someone where to offer you slightly more BTC than the average mining bitcoin income to let your computer solve other problems than hashes, would you take it on, provided it was convinient & safe for your computer?  (Voting closed: June 16, 2011, 12:24:30 PM)
Yes absolutely - 32 (54.2%)
No, I want to mine, that is the purpose of it all - 4 (6.8%)
At least I would try it for a while - 14 (23.7%)
I don't know, maybe - 9 (15.3%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate use of your GPU's  (Read 1595 times)
mimarob (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:24:30 PM

My first poll ever, but I'm really curious of your answers to this!

Comments and other answers but the ones I stated are more than welcome!

/Erik

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:08:55 PM

Heck yeah, so long as they don't adjust for current market price.. ie the same amount of btc given for the same amount of time of hashing.  So let's say I get 1 btc every other day (which is about what I get now), then I would help out the new project so long as I still made 1btc (or more) every other day.

I'm all about advancing protein folding, SETI, whatever, but if they pay less, I'll just keep mining for slush Wink

But given equal (or better) pay, I'd more likely do the other projects, since I want to meet a hot alien woman Wink
jprowl

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:41:41 PM

That is stupid. If it takes so much processing power to create a bitcoin, why would someone else ask you to process something else for them which they will pay a btc for, they would have had to do the processing themselves to generate the bitcoin to pay you for folding. Very stupid idea fellas.

Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:54:50 PM

jprowl, he was probably referring to other stuff - such as, you do rendering/whatever work for them, and get paid in bitcoins which they've bought from a market or have already... :?

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
LnxPeng

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:49:40 PM

There's still the EFF prizes for prime number solutions, which in essence are limited to how fast you can perform the FFT/ inverse FFT (or NTT if you chose). Those start at $150,000 USD.
bitcredit

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:56:38 AM

That is stupid. If it takes so much processing power to create a bitcoin, why would someone else ask you to process something else for them which they will pay a btc for, they would have had to do the processing themselves to generate the bitcoin to pay you for folding. Very stupid idea fellas.

I've never processed a block in my life and I have plenty of BTC you fucking idiot. There are many ways to buy Bitcoin, dumbass.
mimarob (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:36:43 AM

Sorry, maybe I was unclear in my statements, the pay would be slightly above the amount of bitcoins currently made on average (using the alloscomp site for instance).

The details of these agreements I have not worked out, but I guess one could either agree on a price in bitcoins or in dollars, euros, intergalactical pounds or whatever.

The idea of renting out computing power on-the-spot I intended for people who have a short and bursty needs for calculations and are very impatient for their answers. Instead of buying a rig and then only use it 1% of the time, they could use the same amount of cash to have 100 times more computing power when they actually need it.

Also not everyone is as nutty as I and thinks a big rig with lots of fans producing noise and heat is the most beautiful thing in the galaxy or they may have partners that are of an opposite oppinion....

Another problem I just realized would be trust and proof-of-work, a thing which is most elegantly solved in the pools of the bitcoin network.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:40:09 AM

ugh like money, ugh has puter and want money for com-pu-te-shons.

Tongue seriously though, most people mining are mining for money, if they could make more money somewhere else, i'm sure they would in a heartbeat.

ZOMG Moo!
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:36:46 AM

I first noticed bitcoin due to wondering why Distributed.Net's RC5-72 encryption cracking challenge had rapidly dropped off in keyrate around mid March.  GPUs give a tremendous boost to processing power (40Mkeys/s for an i7, 1500Mkeys/s for a 6870).  My search led me to bitcoin, where the natural assumption was people gave up cracking keys for hashing BTCs and making loads of money.

If I wasn't creating bitcoins I would aim my GPUs back at D.Net.  I now have 3 extra 6950s, solely due to the BTC effort.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: