Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:02:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC Miner antenna  (Read 1269 times)
Uranium (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:09:21 AM

Hi,

I made an account to reply to this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.740

I did not invest in any ASICS or even mining equipment (but i have 1.6BTC Smiley)

When seeing this picture:
http://puu.sh/1U4ry
I wanted to say: When shipping to Europe, and especially France, Belgium, Italy and Spain, please unscrew the antenna and do not put the antenna in the package. The customs in these countries are really butthurt if they think it contains a transmitter for which a CE declaration does not exist. It's not really a problem, you can self-certify for CE, you just need someone in Europe to sign the declaration of conformity. Avalon could provide the required documents, have the receiver sign them (but he is then fully responsible for meeting the requirements), submit them to the customs, and get the package. This would add at least on month of delay for these costumers.

Also, put a CE mark on the box and on the equipment. You can still get the package if it has none (suppose you are the importer who is going to put the product on the EU market and who will put the CE mark on it), but this requires a lot of paperwork and delay.

This is a pretty large box that has a high chance of being opened by the customs if its sent by HK post or certainly if sent with EMS. DHL has little problems, since they do customs declaration in advance, and only 1:100 packages is typically opened.

BTW: This newbie rule is really stupid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:22:21 AM

I posted it there for you.

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.msg1486626#msg1486626

[Incidentally, you can request to be whitelisted so that you can post in other boards.]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TehTDK

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 03:13:12 AM

Uranium, I am pretty sure that rule applies for most if not all european countries. BUT doesn't the unit only need to be CE approved in one EU country and then that approval carries over?. The transmitter issue however is an entirely different fish to fry. I know for a fact that I would most likely not get such a unit across the border here if customs got their hands on it, unless the transceiver was certified from other equipment. If the transciever is made from scratch then it would have to be submitted for thorough testing here and risking not getting the unit out.

Or I could run it, and risk massive fines due to signal disruption caused by the unit. And considering where I live and am sitting I would personally not want to risk that gamble on the second option.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 03:17:01 AM

FFS... it is NOT an Antenna.

It is an Anal probe..... Notice how it has a thin tip that gradually tapers down to a box sized load.

The pre-shipping feeling is the tip...

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Gestas

Activity: 54

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:04:46 AM

Hi,

I made an account to reply to this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.740

I did not invest in any ASICS or even mining equipment (but i have 1.6BTC Smiley)

When seeing this picture:
http://puu.sh/1U4ry
I wanted to say: When shipping to Europe, and especially France, Belgium, Italy and Spain, please unscrew the antenna and do not put the antenna in the package. The customs in these countries are really butthurt if they think it contains a transmitter for which a CE declaration does not exist. It's not really a problem, you can self-certify for CE, you just need someone in Europe to sign the declaration of conformity. Avalon could provide the required documents, have the receiver sign them (but he is then fully responsible for meeting the requirements), submit them to the customs, and get the package. This would add at least on month of delay for these costumers.

Also, put a CE mark on the box and on the equipment. You can still get the package if it has none (suppose you are the importer who is going to put the product on the EU market and who will put the CE mark on it), but this requires a lot of paperwork and delay.

This is a pretty large box that has a high chance of being opened by the customs if its sent by HK post or certainly if sent with EMS. DHL has little problems, since they do customs declaration in advance, and only 1:100 packages is typically opened.

BTW: This newbie rule is really stupid.
I dont know what I think is cuter, you thinking that Avalon will ship anything or that you think that's not just a bunch of electronics tossed together.
Uranium (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:35:21 PM

TehTDK, The rule applies to all EU countries. Some just care more than others. For example UK accepts everything, even a device that is obviously a pirate radio transmitter or something related.

Also, CE is not really approved. You just have to prepare a technical document that must meet certain standards and sign a declaration that you meet the requirements. Depending on the facilities you have in-house, you never need to pay anyone for testing. If it is a product containing a radio transmitter where testing criteria are not established, the frequencies are licensed (in some cases), and in some other cases notified body approval is required. For a WiFi or other ISM product the testing procedure is clearly specified and you may self certify if you can do all required tests in house.

Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:59:34 PM

It is an Anal probe..... Notice how it has a thin tip that gradually tapers down to a box sized load.

So, Avalon is playing an epic game of "just the tip" with the bitcoin community?

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:40:42 PM

So, Avalon is playing an epic game of "just the tip" with the bitcoin community?

Sit on it, and let your gut do the hashing!
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:44:36 PM

Put four of them on a trolley and rent them out as a de humidifier for $50/week.
TehTDK

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:03:23 AM

TehTDK, The rule applies to all EU countries. Some just care more than others. For example UK accepts everything, even a device that is obviously a pirate radio transmitter or something related.

Also, CE is not really approved. You just have to prepare a technical document that must meet certain standards and sign a declaration that you meet the requirements. Depending on the facilities you have in-house, you never need to pay anyone for testing. If it is a product containing a radio transmitter where testing criteria are not established, the frequencies are licensed (in some cases), and in some other cases notified body approval is required. For a WiFi or other ISM product the testing procedure is clearly specified and you may self certify if you can do all required tests in house.

Sorry what I meant to say was that as soon as it was approved in one EU country, it was "safe" to import in "any other". More or less.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: