Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:40:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft's BaaS on Azure: More = Merrier?  (Read 945 times)
child_harold (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:34:09 PM

So MS is going balls out adding coins to BaaS (blockchain as a service). Ive lost count.

Does anybody else feel the significance and fanfare of being added to BaaS is diminished every time they add more coins?

Or maybe Im being cynical.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:56:05 PM

So MS is going balls out adding coins to BaaS (blockchain as a service). Ive lost count.

Does anybody else feel the significance and fanfare of being added to BaaS is diminished every time they add more coins?

It's not diminished yet. The day when Microsoft accepts something like Paycoin on their BaaS platform without doing any diligence, then it'll show that they just don't care about who they partner with. For now, I think they're willing to do a modest amount of vetting before putting a product on their platform.

For a new crypto platforms, getting listed next to ETH, FCT and others is still a good thing.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 10:39:58 PM

I don't know internals of all added platforms but those that I know are all good ones. Either MS is lucky or they do put some effort into making the choices.
useless eater

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 10:54:45 PM

So who is on the list?

going down the coinmarket cap list we have

ethereum
factom
bitshares
emercoin
syscoin

adding a coin that Microsoft supports is an easy way to build a portfolio for someone who doesnt live on these forums. Its no different than trusting a hedge fund or investment service to do some due dilligence for you, or at least give you a starting point to do your own dd
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 11:55:52 PM

So who is on the list?

going down the coinmarket cap list we have

ethereum
factom
bitshares
emercoin
syscoin

adding a coin that Microsoft supports is an easy way to build a portfolio for someone who doesnt live on these forums. Its no different than trusting a hedge fund or investment service to do some due dilligence for you, or at least give you a starting point to do your own dd

LISK too
boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:05:52 AM

You are not being cynical. MS related BaaS announcements are often exaggerated in importance.
child_harold (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 07:25:39 AM

Ethereum
ConsenSys*
Ripple
Eris
CoinPrism
Factom
BitPay
Manifold Technology
LibraTax
Emercoin
MultiChain
Netki
AlphaPoint
STRATO*
IOTA
Augur*
Lisk
BitShares
Syscoin
Slock.it*

*ethereal

patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 08:09:27 AM

Wasn't there an actual statement that said they want all blockchains on their platform.
I mean MS really doesn't stand to lose anything from adding any and all blockchain projects. I think to them it really is the more the merrier. I mean they've now added a platform pre-release. If you get the template right and deployment works I really think they'd add any platform that comes their way.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 08:40:17 AM

Wasn't there an actual statement that said they want all blockchains on their platform.
I mean MS really doesn't stand to lose anything from adding any and all blockchain projects. I think to them it really is the more the merrier. I mean they've now added a platform pre-release. If you get the template right and deployment works I really think they'd add any platform that comes their way.

That statement was like "We want peace in the whole world". A general motto-like style. Not "We want all shitcoins".
child_harold (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 11:49:21 AM

That statement was like "We want peace in the whole world". A general motto-like style. Not "We want all shitcoins".

And yet… what of Emercoin, Lisk and Syscoin for example?

These 3 examples have not been audited or vetted (iirc) and could ultimately be condemned to shitcoin status

Lets focus on SYS for a sec. they're about to do a split from SYS1 to SYS2 coins at some arbitrary ratio. What version of SYS is MS hosting exactly? And why?

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 12:34:52 PM

I'll level with you all…

It is specifically the addition of Lisk and Syscoin which has raised a small red flag for me…
and WTF is Emercoin really… anybody??

Lisk: Dont get me started… What of Crypti?

Emercoin looks interesting and somewhat-legit (I don't own any). It allows you to use a blockchain as a place to store pub keys for authentication. Aka, you use your Emercoin pubkey to login via SSH or encrypt a file, etc. No idea about the others.

http://emercoin.com/

child_harold (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 09:17:25 AM

I mean MS really doesn't stand to lose anything from adding any and all blockchain projects.

What if some of the adoptions turn out, for example, to be insecure or have broken crypto? Would MS not lose some credibility by having hosted it prematurely?
This is purely hypothetical of course.  

Id like to know what kind of audits MS performs (if any) before adding a crypto.

sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 09:30:50 AM

MS is the shitcoin samaritan   Tongue

child_harold (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 11:01:30 AM

Emercoin looks interesting and somewhat-legit (I don't own any). It allows you to use a blockchain as a place to store pub keys for authentication. Aka, you use your Emercoin pubkey to login via SSH or encrypt a file, etc. No idea about the others.

http://emercoin.com/

I hadnt heard of Emercoin before Azure added it altho it does look somewhat legit as you said. There are so many 2.0 projects now its hard to keep track.
I can see Trex trading it altho Polo still hasnt added it for some reason

benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2016, 12:08:59 PM

yes, there is a statement somewhere on coindesk i had read which stated microsoft azure want to have all coins in one place, including all the shitcoins.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: