Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:07:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facts Based Thread  (Read 1553 times)
Tamerz (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:53:23 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 06:29:02 AM by Tamerz

I know this is asking for a lot, but I noticed the mods have finally locked down. I'm not asking for censorship (I'm all for every piece of evidence either way), but could we get a sticky with known facts that is updated without all the speculation and BS?

I'm invested (not as much as some) and don't need to go through 20 threads of who said what. It would be nice if we had one place with facts posted as they happen. Only a mod can do this and only a mod should start that thread.

Then all the speculation and bickering can just continue in other threads. I have no problem with this, in fact I think it is healthy. I think with BitCoin everything should be heavily questioned.

WHAT WE KNOW:

Avalon -
1. Jeff Garzik has received a working miner from Avalon. Jeff's box has 3 modules and mines around 66 GH/s. He has mentioned some issues with rebooting, but also acknowledged that they may be due to his external environment(I missed where he said this had been resolved). Either way, incredible results. The power usage appears to be about 620 watts:

http://garzikrants.blogspot.com/2013/02/avalon-miner-power-usage.html

This is all based on Jeff's posts, but I don't see any reason at all to doubt them. If you have evidence otherwise, please post. I'm taking this as "fact".

2. Bitcoin Foundation has posted a video of a 4 module machine doing 89 GH/s:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=112

I would assume they would not be lying (and in fact will).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:36:16 AM

you're probably best off going to the producers specific forum.  less trolling there...

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

lets see:

BFL: appeared at CES with a box of fans. has pictures of casings and LOTS of boxes of fans. pictures of hardware also, but no operational details/demos because no chips are ready yet.

AVALON: has 1 box of fans, with no confirmation of what is inside it. pictures of boards and a single questionable image of operational details from a week ago. Claims to have shipped but no tracking numbers or customers who have received.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:33:09 PM

The problem is that there are many many here that will accept anything stated by a vendor's rep as *FACT* and anyone that disputes anything stated by a vendor's rep is a *TROLL*.

Tamerz (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:34:38 PM

lets see:

BFL: appeared at CES with a box of fans. has pictures of casings and LOTS of boxes of fans. pictures of hardware also, but no operational details/demos because no chips are ready yet.

AVALON: has 1 box of fans, with no confirmation of what is inside it. pictures of boards and a single questionable image of operational details from a week ago. Claims to have shipped but no tracking numbers or customers who have received.

As far as I see, this is all we know so far. Exactly what I'd like to find right away when coming here.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:36:33 PM

lets see:

What questionable about the image showing operational status?

Kano checked the stats and said they look okay and in line with what you would expect.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

lets see:

What questionable about the image showing operational status?

Kano checked the stats and said they look okay and in line with what you would expect.

While it was nice for them to post a pic.. anyone with a brain could have created and faked that. Naturally showing that type of picture
will cause avalon to say, "see! we show proof and you still doubt us!".

How about something more substantial that would take about 10 minutes to create with a cell phone that can do video.
Show the insides of the box. Show it hooked up to a computer and clicking on the diff tabs of the web interface.
Show it running and how the operational status actually changes as it works. Show it hooked up to a public mining pool.
That would shut up 99% of us and we would say.. uh yea.. they got something there. Can I order now?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:46:06 PM

That would shut up 99% of us and we would say.. uh yea.. they got something there. Can I order now?
Are you sure about that?
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:49:40 PM

Are you sure about that?

Do you have 500ish radeon 5830s to point to a public pool to fake what would happen if they
pointed 3 of those 60 gh/s asic monsters to it?

No? hm.. kinda hard to fake such a thing. unless of course the pool operator is now in on it.
creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:54:38 PM

A simple third party review by a respected member of the BTC community that's unaffiliated with Avalon and I'm purchasing multiple units. This is what we were told would happen prior to batch 2 pre-orders.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:04:05 PM

Are you sure about that?
Do you have 500ish radeon 5830s to point to a public pool to fake what would happen if they

No? hm.. kinda hard to fake such a thing. unless of course the pool operator is now in on it.
It'd be hard for the average user, but there are people who can do it. Between people running multiple BFL MRs or any other FPGAs, proxy pools, or botnets, it can be pretty accessible to direct 60GH/s to a pool for five minutes.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:19:34 PM

Are you sure about that?

It'd be hard for the average user, but there are people who can do it. Between people running multiple BFL MRs or any other FPGAs, proxy pools, or botnets, it can be pretty accessible to direct 60GH/s to a pool for five minutes.
See, anything can be faked. And many can subsequently believe it to be faked.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:30:23 PM

Are you sure about that?

60 gh/s? Sure. But they made, supposedly, 300 of these units. Turn on 5 of them. 300 gh/s at btcguild.com would get noticed
from one user. Turn on 10 of them! Whatever.

But now if this conspiracy has grown to include people not even directly connected with avalon.. well.. they pulled off a good scam.
Getting a person to assist them with that kind of hashing power is doable but you just show so much hashing power it becomes
impractical to fake. Just for 30 minutes or so. Then donate the money made to some cool thing and reap in the kudos.

What bothers me about your way of thinking is.. why show anything at all if everything can be faked? That is silly.

But another poster had an excellent idea too. Wait until a 3rd party actually gets a fricking unit they said they shipped. Delay the
2nd batch sale until then. But eh.. it sounds like they have no idea when that will be.
RoboCoder

Activity: 388

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:01:15 PM

As far as I see, this is all we know so far. Exactly what I'd like to find right away when coming here.

THen you need to start the list by updating your original post with the 1 Fact we are sure of.  You could add a second list in your original post that is for Unverifiable Facts, like the hash rate and the ship date. etc.

That way they will know right away without having to read through the pages of ensuing discussion.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:45:51 AM

Are you sure about that?

60 gh/s? Sure. But they made, supposedly, 300 of these units. Turn on 5 of them. 300 gh/s at btcguild.com would get noticed
from one user. Turn on 10 of them! Whatever.

But now if this conspiracy has grown to include people not even directly connected with avalon.. well.. they pulled off a good scam.
Getting a person to assist them with that kind of hashing power is doable but you just show so much hashing power it becomes
impractical to fake. Just for 30 minutes or so. Then donate the money made to some cool thing and reap in the kudos.

What bothers me about your way of thinking is.. why show anything at all if everything can be faked? That is silly.

But another poster had an excellent idea too. Wait until a 3rd party actually gets a fricking unit they said they shipped. Delay the
2nd batch sale until then. But eh.. it sounds like they have no idea when that will be.
I hoped you would have realized I was being facetious.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:21:39 PM

The interesting thing about this whole thing to me is... Serious miners don't care about Avalon.

The simple fact is, the power consumption is just too high.

Based purely on the power being drawn... it may very well be hybrid design using fpga or maybe existing sha2/3 chips in large arrays to produce the hashing. Nothing wrong with it as an offering... But it is what it is... inferior technology. I for one won't be buying any.

The other option is that it's simply a scam in the sense that they're losing money on each unit... in which case, they'll release 1 test box - claim the rest are delayed by CNY then accept orders for the second build (only in bitcoin) and harvest a million or so in orders for batch 2 before rolling up and vanishing.

creativex

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:27:08 PM

Until there's something better the Avalon is by far the most efficient mining device on the market.

BTW there are now two confirmed in the wild(7 modules).

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=112

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 11:37:02 PM

Are you sure about that?

And thus is reborn the ever eternal paranoia that is bitcoin.

more or less retired.
Tamerz (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 06:23:13 AM

I'll try to keep this updated even though it was never my intention to do so since I am only a 1.7 GH/s miner. I only know what I read here, but I will try to only use what I think is reliable data. If you have evidence otherwise, please post it here.
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 06:44:27 AM

Are you sure about that?

Look its hard to accept (for some) AVALON are real and have delivered....end of story

This photoshop bullshit is really about DENIAL ..(BFL driven maybe) DENIAL

Congratulations to AVALON..  FACTS so far AVALON 1 the rest 0

There is no more proof needed...how many units can they produce... dont know but they have the goods

BFL can go suck on all of their vile/bile & negativity...results speak louder than words....

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: