Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:48:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 automatically installs without permission, complain users  (Read 1144 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:10:25 AM

Windows 10 automatically installs without permission, complain users

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/15/windows-10-automatically-installs-without-permission-complain-users

<< Windows 7 users are reporting that Windows 10 is automatically installing on their PCs without permission. Scores of users have posted on Twitter, forums, Reddit and gaming sites to complain about Windows 10 automatically installing, seemingly without asking, and often in the middle of doing something important. Reddit user LHoT10820 posted a warning, which has attracted over 2,800 comments, about the forced Windows 10 upgrade after it "bricked" his father's computer.

Geekygirlhere said: "Yep this happened to me this morning. Working and all of a sudden Windows closed all my programs, logged me out and started the upgrade. I quickly shut down my computer and was able to stop it but my son wasn't so lucky. Same thing happened to him today."

8165128200 said: "We've been getting calls trickling in all week from doctor's offices, dental practices, B&Bs and roofing companies – among others – that have been hit by this and it's a fucking mess. In some cases the upgrade went OK and the user is just really confused. In others, Windows 10 is asking for a login password the user set years ago and hasn't used since, that was fun. In still another it's screwed up access to their shared folders."

Even senior reporter Patrick Klepek for gaming site Kotaku was seemingly forced into an upgrade to Windows 10.

Microsoft recently changed the Windows 10 upgrade from "optional" to "recommended", making it one level below the highest "critical" designation within Windows Update, the software update system built into Windows. The change means that if users have Windows update on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 set to 'install all recommended updates', which many will do, the Windows 10 upgrade will automatically download to a user's computer. >>

Source: The Guardian
Tongkar

Activity: 512
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:18:44 AM

Oops. Have to check my install settings.
Thankfully, I still see the "Get Windows 10" button on my laptop.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 12:47:42 PM

And this is why I always turn automatic updates off, can confirm as somebody I knew was talking about this too and was asking me about it, take control of your own computer and don't install updates unless you know what's actually in them.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:04:35 PM

i was not affected by the windows 10 update, before i have upgraded my old PC to windows 10, none of the sign which kicks me to the windows 10. in that case, i decided to upgrade it actively so microsoft won't force us.

i am with bells on to get it upgraded, unless the upgrade wouldn't let me keep my own data there. (this emotion is come from the snitz)
AFAIK there will be a newer update when you are in windows 10, which gives you a feel like when you are/were still in windows 7.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Loimu

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 03:20:49 PM

Thank god I do not allow automatic updates. Didn't happen to me. If Windows would do this to my computer that would probably be the last nail to the coffin and I would change to Linux after. It's not like I game with my PC anymore anyway so those other operating systems have pretty much only benefits.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2016, 07:36:05 PM by Spoetnik

And this is why I always turn automatic updates off, can confirm as somebody I knew was talking about this too and was asking me about it, take control of your own computer and don't install updates unless you know what's actually in them.

Agree but .. just set them to "Notify But Don't Download"
Then when you see the list click on the support link for each one that *might* be a windows 10 "nag"

Microsoft keeps sliding in deceptive updates masked as "Preparation" for future updates.
Often times deliberately avoiding mentioning Windows 10.

I use WIN 7 x64 and do NOT want Windows 10 so i obviously do not want to be nagged about it either.
So far i have identified a lot of Win10 related *preparation* updates and set them to "Hidden"

I also found a program before that i checked and tested and it was clean and worked perfect.
But it's a couple months old now and may miss some of the newer "Nag updates"
I will upload it if you all want to check it out Wink ADDED: Source link below + code

I also can confirm what the OP said is true.
I had seen news about this status change for Win10 on Windows updates on the Tech news site Neowin.net.
This is not cool at all !
That is predatory / unfair practices on users.

WHY would i NOT want WIN10 ?
WOW LOL ..where would i start ?

- They screwed up the start menu.
- They added that lame crappy Start-Screen Windows store crap.
- They added excessive "Telemetry Data" collection practices.
- They removed Window Transparency.
- They changed icons to look ugly with a "Flat" style.
- Various other visual aspects are ugly all over. (compared to WIN7)
- They added a pile of news services that i would have to research and maybe disable.

There is to many too list, i'd be here forever if i listed them all Sad

The biggest one that spits in my face is this..
- They removed the ability to install Windows Media Center on to Win10. (Deal-Breaker for me)

I won't use any Microsoft product ever again.. Windows 7 is it, then i wash my hands of them forever.

EDIT:
Ok so here is the little program i mentioned earlier..
https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/
It's clean & open source Smiley
What it does is check for a specific update and uninstalls it if found.
It looks for the update that will nag you ..i think with tray alerts etc.
This will not help with the Full update on Windows-Update though (you still need to set that to "Hide")

NOTE:
I also have my "Action Center" Tray-Icon set to hidden (right click the bar and look for system tray icon options)
I think this might be causing me to miss update alerts though.. but i have been using Windows since the mid-90's basically.
So i already know about "Patch Day Tuesday" is.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday
So.. what i do is i just check for updates by clicking on the Shortcut once in a while (once a month on average)
Might all sound complicated but it's easy trust me Wink

EDIT2:
Some guy posted this online and i LOVED IT !

Windows 10's inevitable failure goes well beyond the smartphone-oriented dumbed-down UI and "apps". How convenient that you're overlooking forced Windows Updates, forced Cortana integration, forced telemetry, major updates that can break the entire OS because they're equivalent to an upgrade install, advertising built into the OS, and a whole host of bugs, glitches, quirks and oddities.

EDIT3:
Yeah forced updates !!!
And no that guy was not kidding about ad's either..
Get this people.. Microsoft put in "Sponsored Content" ad's for app's to MS app's in the Start Menu.
..and probably all over the damn Start Screen too i bet.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 02:54:31 PM

Chances are people already seen this news when it was new LOL
I seen the story at Neowin.net before it actually happened.

HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 04:28:41 PM

Windows 10 also will send all things from your computer on auto mode to somewhere too. Therefore it is very good to use another software, which do not allow Windows 10 to spy on you.  Wink
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2016, 05:38:47 PM

NSAKEY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 05:21:32 AM

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1291352-microsoft-slips-windows-10-upgrade-banner-inside-security-update-for-internet-explorer/

D3ViL

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 12:14:44 PM

if you are not careful enough a single click will upgrade it to win 10 , which is silly
Suntouri

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 12:47:40 PM

Few days ago a countdown appear on my netbook, i deleted the win10 update, i should CHOOSE the moment
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

I have 2 computers with Windows 8.1. On may main laptop, I disabled GWX last summer, and I haven't heard of it since them. On the second I tried Windows 10, only to uninstall it 2 days later, but I have to be careful with updates. Each time I'm updating, I have to uncheck W10, otherwise, it would get installed without asking me.

You shall disable automatic updates, it's too worrisome. I was caught once with an update while I was about to board a flight, with the damned thing telling me not to shutdown. I don't want that to happen ever again. You just need to check if there are updates twice a month.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:53:17 AM

@countryfree
You should be able to right click the Update to Win10 and select "Hide"
Then it won't bother you again.

But i am surprised someone running Win8.1 would not want Windows 10 since they are some what similar.

The leap from Win7 to WIn10 is huge though..
All i know is the negatives for me personal out weigh the positives.
I run a custom heavily stripped down and *highly* customized version of Win7 x64
If i start using Win10 there will be a huge amount of stuff i will have to disable / hack / remove etc.
Start Screen crap ? Tied into the OS causing bloat.. Cortana crap ?
Since it's ugly as fuck with the whole flat style trendy BS and "App's" it's not even worth my time fucking with.

Before long they will ram the cloud based subscription model on you all too.
And with forced updates and massive spying (Telemetry data collection practices)
I foresee a nightmare ahead..

There is not one product or service i like from Microsoft.
I used to.. but gradually everything they touch turns to shit.
Then all the software makers and hardware makers follow their lead.
There is a massive growing list of Software programs i will never update again for example.
The last one was Today actually..
I used to like UltraEdit and have been using it daily for a decade+
But i made the final decision today and rolled back to a previous version.
I always have updates disabled and for now on i will not manually check anymore either.
Why ?
They very recently overhauled / changed the UI drastically..
Right away i found it irritating and of course bloated (over time it's been getting more bloated)
The final straw though was i had used the new version many times last couple weeks
and i couldn't find the "Save as" button / option anymore (once i got it by accident)
But i figured when i had some time i would dig into it and try and learn this new "Flat / Bloated style UI"
So today i went though it and checked every drop down menu trying things and i STILL can't find it !
the most important part of the whole damn program.. the fucking SAVE "AS" button (yes i DID try the normal save button)
..had enough last straw.
Your done.. 3 strikes .........bye bye assholes !
Take your pandering bloated Ugly ass gay piece of shit program and fuck the fuck off.. forever !

Same with you MS your done.. you can go bankrupt for all i care.

Microsoft is pure Tech-Dog Shit .

arlene05973

Activity: 616

A day without a buzz is like a day that never was

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:12:45 AM

Yes, turning off the setting from automatic to manual (or choose let me manually accept update)

I switched-off the automatic update when i first notifced the constant msg in regard's to upgrading to windows 10.
This seems to be another pitfall for microsoft.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: