Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:09:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do if I'm looking to generate a new multi-signature address ?  (Read 599 times)
SLRman (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:30:47 AM

I have an electrum wallet installed on my computer and I wish to use a random address from it to use for the escrow. Is it a bad idea ?
In the electrum wallet I can see the private and public keys of the address so it should be all good ? t

though I don't understand why I can see 3 different public keys to be related to one address?  why is there 3 ?  
.. upon generating a new multi-sig address, I'm asked for a public key but I'm not sure which to choose of that 3 for that, please help ? or just choose random?

Thanks!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 01:58:23 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2016, 08:40:21 PM by shorena

I have an electrum wallet installed on my computer and I wish to use a random address from it to use for the escrow. Is it a bad idea ?

No (at least not the address part, I cant judge whether you are suitable to do escrow or not).

In the electrum wallet I can see the private and public keys of the address so it should be all good ? t

though I don't understand why I can see 3 different public keys to be related to one address?  why is there 3 ?  

2-3 multi sig addresses have 3 public keys and 3 private keys. Any 2 private keys can spend the coins.

.. upon generating a new multi-sig address, I'm asked for a public key but I'm not sure which to choose of that 3 for that, please help ? or just choose random?

Thanks!

You need to get the public keys from the other 2. You also need make sure you all use the same order, e.g.

pubkey#1
pubkey#2
pubkey#3

and

pubkey#2
pubkey#3
pubkey#1

result in different addresses.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 04:19:06 PM

Is there any web wallet that have this feature of creating multisign addresses? i have asked this within this topic to not increase the thread about same thing here.

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 04:32:30 PM

Is there any web wallet that have this feature of creating multisign addresses? i have asked this within this topic to not increase the thread about same thing here.

Yes ,https://xapo.com/ IE Xapo .They do have multi sig wallets usually the addresses starting with digit 3xxx. Other such service is https://copay.io/ ,haven't really used any of them ,you can do your researches.Not really recommended to use an online wallet for multi-sig purposes.Try electrum ,a better alternative,here is a small tutorial on how you can create a multi-sig wallet using it  http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/multisig.html
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2016, 12:52:57 PM

Bitgo and Coinkite also provide multisig wallet creation I believe but its not safe, its better if you create a multisig wallet safely on your desktop or an offline machine because the whole point of having a multisig is to make sure your coins are more secure, isn't it?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
El3k0n

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

USA TRUMP USA TRUMP USA TRUMP

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 07:07:37 PM

No (at least not the address part, I cant judge whether you are suitable to do escrow or not).

2-3 multi sig addresses have 3 public keys and 3 private keys. Any 2 private keys can spend the coins.

Thanks!

You need to get the public keys from the other 2. You also need make sure you all use the same order, e.g.

pubkey#1
pubkey#2
pubkey#3

and

pubkey#2
pubkey#3
pubkey#1

result in different addresses.

Thanks for this detailed breakdown, I was also confused.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: