Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:45:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 21.4Mhash/s ... is that decent?  (Read 26708 times)
rickylford (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:02:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I finally got GUIMiner and puddinpop's CUDA miner working together. At the bottom right it's showing 21.4Mhash/s. Is that a decent enough amount to start my venture into mining? Also, what is this ASICs I keep hearing so much about? Is it server hardware? Is it a full server in itself? Is it software?

Thanks!
Ricky
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:05:43 PM

what are you running it on

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:09:18 PM

ASICS are hardware, as in hard to get and expensive, but around 300 times more efficient than your setup.
rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:10:12 PM

I have a Dell XPS17 laptop. The system specs are as follows:

- Intel Core i7-2640m CPU @ 2.8GHz/2.8GHz
- 8GB memory
- 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:14:06 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Have you not read anything or used the Search feature? This is asked nearly everyday and the answer is again, no. You are wasting hardware, time and electricity. Search for a Bitcoin Calculator.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139747.0

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:14:39 PM

Stop mining with your laptop. Its not worth it.
If you want t mine, you must use an AMD GPU.

However, even that will be useless when ASICs hits the shelves, witch will be in some days or weeks.
rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:17:42 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Have you not read anything or used the Search feature? This is asked nearly everyday and the answer is again, no. You are wasting hardware, time and electricity. Search for a Bitcoin Calculator.
I've read quite a bit around the forums. Although I don't appreciate the undertone you replied with, I appreciate the response.
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:18:50 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

I've read quite a bit around the forums. Although I don't appreciate the undertone you replied with, I appreciate the response.

You've read nothing or you wouldn't have wasted time posting.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:22:37 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Do you have a tracking device installed on my laptop? If not, you have no way of saying for certain what I have and haven't read. There is information all throughout this forum and finding a straight-to-the-point answer is harder than you think, especially when it comes to specific computer setups. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to end this argument, and I would appreciate if your hostility was directed elsewhere.
KWH
Legendary

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:25:41 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Do you have a tracking device installed on my laptop? If not, you have no way of saying for certain what I have and haven't read. There is information all throughout this forum and finding a straight-to-the-point answer is harder than you think, especially when it comes to specific computer setups. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to end this argument, and I would appreciate if your hostility was directed elsewhere.

Because people like yourself are too lazy to do the search. This in turn floods the forum with these same type of questions answered over and over and people get tired of seeing them posted. Have you ever heard of Google?
 Do you own research!

Albert Einstein
rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:30:33 PM

- 8GB memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Because people like yourself are too lazy to do the search. This in turn floods the forum with these same type of questions answered over and over and people get tired of seeing them posted. Have you ever heard of Google?
 Do you own research!
Thank you. Apparently being new to bitcoin mining is something that's frowned upon seeing as how anyone who gets into mining starts out as an expert.

You may not realize it but there are plenty of tech-savvy people who visit this forum who need to know basic information that they've been unable to find elsewhere. I tried searching. Whether or not I was using the right search terms, I don't know. It's hard to get keywords right when trying to find the right topic, hence, why I made this one.

I'm asking you politely to stop being hostile in your responses. I agree that the information I'm looking for could be on this forum somewhere, and if it is, I apologize because I tried to find it. I did. The point of a forum is to ask questions, to get feedback, and to feed off of one another, whether you're new to mining or not.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:33:27 PM

You're doing lots of wear-and-tear to your laptop, you're also making a huge loss once you factor in electricity costs.

Mining on CPU's isn't worth it at all. The only profitable way to mine at the moment is a highly efficient GPU farm, an FPGA farm, or an ASIC farm once they're released.

Your mining income is around $0.07/day, its not worth it dude, and once the ASIC's are released, your mining income will be around $0.0035/day.

rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

You're doing much more wear-and-tear to your laptop than you're making iwth mining, you're also making a loss if oyu factor in electricity costs.

mining on CPU's isn't worth it at all. The only profitable way to mine at the moment is a highly efficient GPU farm, an FPGA farm, or an ASIC farm once they're released.
Thanks. I've uninstalled the mining software as I've realized that mining just isn't going to be profitable for me at the moment. I'll stick with what I know best until I can get a better upgraded Linux box running with the proper GPU cards.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:37:56 PM

Thanks. I've uninstalled the mining software as I've realized that mining just isn't going to be profitable for me at the moment. I'll stick with what I know best until I can get a better upgraded Linux box running with the proper GPU cards.

Keep in mind that once Bitcoin ASIC's are released, GPU mining will earn around 80-95% less, so you'll be operating at a loss there as well. At the moment GPU mining is barely profitable.

IMO now is not the time to start mining, its best to wait and see how things go once the ASIC's are released.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:02:22 PM

To be fair, I first got into mining by setting up phoenix 1.5 to run as a screensaver on my brother Nvidia 9800 GTX. I was able to tweak it up to 29MH/s. Then I built my own computer with 3 ATI cards to get ~1GH/s. I seriously thought I was the shit, I was so happy.

So no, while 21MH/s is not worth it, it can be enough to give you the "itch" and want to get into mining even more. I do agree with Blazr that this is a very questionable time to get into mining, as there are a lot of uncertainties concerning ASICs, which will totally change everything to do with mining.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Macht

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:19:25 PM

Hey everyone,

I finally got GUIMiner and puddinpop's CUDA miner working together. At the bottom right it's showing 21.4Mhash/s. Is that a decent enough amount to start my venture into mining? Also, what is this ASICs I keep hearing so much about? Is it server hardware? Is it a full server in itself? Is it software?

Thanks!
Ricky

I can understand KWH to some degree, as your question suggests that you really haven't read alot about mining. Which wouldn't be a problem per se but so many ppl ask questions like that. I have just recently been interested in bitcoins too, an the learning curve is steep Smiley

The evidence that 20mh/s is not much is everywhere to be seen. Although I also must say that it's easy to get confused with older threads, where 20mh/s might have been more worthwile. But as the others already said, it's not enough, it's actually pretty bad. Plus, the times are over where one could get into mining and make a profit without investing both a lot of time and thousands of dollars/pickyourcurrency.

I mined for a couple of days aswell, just to get an Idea, and it was fun. So as a newb I welcome you to bitcoin! Have fun exploring  Smiley
rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:31:22 PM

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Ricky

I can understand KWH to some degree, as your question suggests that you really haven't read alot about mining. Which wouldn't be a problem per se but so many ppl ask questions like that. I have just recently been interested in bitcoins too, an the learning curve is steep Smiley

The evidence that 20mh/s is not much is everywhere to be seen. Although I also must say that it's easy to get confused with older threads, where 20mh/s might have been more worthwile. But as the others already said, it's not enough, it's actually pretty bad. Plus, the times are over where one could get into mining and make a profit without investing both a lot of time and thousands of dollars/pickyourcurrency.

I mined for a couple of days aswell, just to get an Idea, and it was fun. So as a newb I welcome you to bitcoin! Have fun exploring  Smiley
Thank you. Smiley The road to learning bitcoin and immersing myself in it is going to be long and arduous. But as I've stated before, I'm in it for the long haul. Tongue
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:38:32 PM

21 mhash = you.
35 mhash = my Intel i7 6 core CPU @ 4.7 GHz
700 mhash = Radeon 5970 (I have about the equivalent of 17 of these)
60,000 mhash = asic (only rumored though)

You tell me if you think thats decent.

rickylford (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

21 mhash = you.
35 mhash = my Intel i7 6 core CPU @ 4.7 GHz
700 mhash = Radeon 5970 (I have about the equivalent of 17 of these)
60,000 mhash = asic (only rumored though)

You tell me if you think thats decent.
Looks like I'll surpass you in bitcoin in no time! Tongue
GIANNAT
Legendary

Activity: 1038

Bitcoin entrepreneur and Pro Trader

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 09:38:50 PM

Not the BFL asic ofc.. Ahah
Probably the avalon one

Pages: [1] 2 »  All