Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:50:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: scammers posting other people's heatware...  (Read 926 times)
wol-va-rine (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:03:35 PM

and trying to pass it off as their own, this is a common practice people, do your homework, if someone posts an ad and references a specific heatware account make sure the email you get originates from that account, if they say "this is just another account I use more often" or something, tell them that you will email them at their heatware email and to respond using that email...

I had this happen and it was pretty easy to figure out it was a scam...

- I checked the heatware posted in the listing and sent an email to the email account registered with heatware (the linked account had over 1,200 positive evals) , no response for 3 or 4 hours...
- I then contacted directly through the ad (Bitcoin Classifieds) and voila, minutes later I get an email from a different email account..
- red flags...
1. the first name was spelled differently...
2. the last name was totally different, not even close...
3. I traced the ip to Washington (state, not DC), the heatware account listed Georgia as the state of residence...

- I asked why the email account was different than the one registered to heatware and told him/her I would email the heatware registered account to make sure the account belonged to him/her...
- still no response from the heatware registered email account (the real account user is probably wondering wtf I'm talking about in the eamils...lol)...

be careful people, if a deal is too good to be true...well, you know the rest...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: