Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:23:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer ethernet convert to USB  (Read 1027 times)
conceptxp (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 12:58:57 AM

Hi,

I don't know if this question fit here.

I am trying to convert my Antminer S5 to hash in USB cable instead of Ethernet cable.  Is that possible?

Reason is I can not use Ethernet in my environment.  Or is there any USB connection asic mining product out there beside BFL monarch? 
Those USB eruptor is too small..
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 07:35:56 AM

No, you cannot use USB and there is no WiFi on the control board either.

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
Sharma
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

GATCOIN : The New Currency Of Digital Marketing

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 07:41:31 AM

Just a quick question: why would you want to do this?
Your antminer will need a network connection to get it's work from the pool, or from your own node in case you're solo mining.

I think you'll need a way to figure out how to get network to your antminer instead of looking for a way to mine over usb... Since your usb needs to be plugged in to a raspberry pi, server or workstation, i assume you have at least one ethernet port... Maybe a switch or a router might do the trick?

█████▄▄▄▄
   ████████████▄▄▄            ▀██████
   ███ ▀▀▀▀█████████▄          ▀█████
   ███         ▀▀▀█████▄         ▀███
   ███              ▀▀████▄▄███    ▀▀
   ███                ▀███████▀
   ███                    █████
   ███     ███▄         ▄███████
   ▐██▌     ▀███▄     ▄███▀  ███
   ▐███       ▀███▄▄ ███▀     ███
    ███▌        ▀████        ▐██▌
     ███         ████         ███
      ███      ▄█████▄       ▐██
       ███   ▄████▀ ▀███▄     ▐██
        ███▄████▀     ▀███▄   ███
         █████▀         ▀███▄████
          ██▀             ▀█████▌
                            ▀███▌
  ██████                      ▀▀
  ▀▀▀███
     ███
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
             JOIN US             
TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN WHITEPAPER
conceptxp (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 07:56:52 PM

I don't want to have IP detected over network.  There is couple I was looking to do.

Bridge from Computer...  On my computer create a USB to Ethernet and hook up the Antminer - didn't work well.

This is the second thing I may want to try if I get chance.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/gaming-home-theater/WNCE2001.aspx - and connect the Antminer from here to Comcast xfinity wifi etc...

Legacy2005

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 08:12:20 PM

why dont you want the miner detected? you mining somewhere you shouldnt be?

yes that would work. ethernet cable from antminer to that unit then that connects to the wifi. however the network will still be able to tell that something is connected to it via wifi.

if you know what IP you can use set it to static and rename the unit to be called something else ie xbox.
Guruclef

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 10:10:53 PM

I don't want to have IP detected over network.  

Have you considered using 3G? That should solve your problem I think
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 11:26:55 PM

Now technically you should be able to hook a USB to UART converter right to the hashboard. You won't have temp sensing if you do that; the temp sensor runs through separate lines. There also probably doesn't exist any driver code to actually get work to the boards. But it should be possible if that existed.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 11:41:34 PM

Now technically you should be able to hook a USB to UART converter right to the hashboard. You won't have temp sensing if you do that; the temp sensor runs through separate lines. There also probably doesn't exist any driver code to actually get work to the boards. But it should be possible if that existed.
@sidehack  Somehow, I suspected that you might pipe in with a solution from an engineering standpoint. Smiley I had a similar thought to yours, but I am reasonably sure that nobody has done any coding with regards to a driver from this perspective.

I don't want to have IP detected over network.
@conceptxp  Your statement is confusing because the circumstances surrounding your intent are unclear. Are you trying to obfuscate your network traffic? Is ethernet not an option because it is simply not available? Are you trying to avoid having an unknown MAC address trip port security on another entity's ethernet switch?

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 12:00:29 AM

Yeah, we never got around to multi-chip code through a USB-UART converter. I ended up just using an S5 controller for any multi-chip testing, and then shifted toward a dedicated microcontroller instead of a generic converter.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:52:52 AM

Bridge from Computer...  On my computer create a USB to Ethernet and hook up the Antminer - didn't work well.

If you actually bridged your USB/Ethernet adapter with your other adapter on your computer and got your mining setup to actually work you are NOT hiding your Antminer's IP address from your local network.

Instead of a bridge the correct way to do this would be to setup some kind of routing/NAT software on your computer and create a new subnet between your computer and Antminer. I've done this before at work (not for mining) when I had to hide a cluster of rogue, non-compliant, development servers from corporate IT Grin.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 04:15:07 AM

Oh sure, if he's on Windows - uh, does Windows still have ICS? Grab a USB NIC and enable internet sharing on it. I'm not sure what the Linux solution is called but there's all sorts of routing and DHCP stuff out there. I've had to do that before when using failover internet off a USB cellular modem on an old XP laptop, backfed into the LAN at the house.

hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:20:04 PM

You need too look into running -ckproxy Search software thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: