Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:02:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality Web Wallet Help  (Read 829 times)
counter (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:49:00 AM

I've lost my first wallet info which had little to no bitcoins so I'd like to start a new wallet now.  I'm looking for a site that is relatively simple to use doesn't require a lengthy startup process.  I've read good and bad a about a few and wanted to get a summary on my own thread from those that understand my situation.

I have a regular old desktop and I'd prefer to not download alot of programs unless I need to.  I assume I'll do something like that when I set up a secure wallet but at this moment I just want advice for a good place for my web wallet I'm not into blockchain.info I think it's called because it takes a while to sync to my understanding and I'd like to get started now I've been on here reading about sites like Multibit Walletbit etc so any advice that can save me time and make the start up process easy for now and the future is very much appreciated.  Currently have a storm knocking out my power so I'll leave it at that before I lose power again.  Thanks for the help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:49:51 AM

Don't use web wallets.

That is all.
counter (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 10:57:12 AM

u post confuses me, I asked for a web wallet recommendation and u state not to use one.

I'd like u suggest a web wallet if that wasn't expressed in my first post not deter me from doin so.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 11:10:05 AM

Block chain .info

Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:23:31 AM

Block chain .info

This. If you must use a web wallet it gives you the most control and it is widely used enough that it has earned a decent amount of trust. There's also people with real names to take the pitchforks to if it turns out to be a scam.

If the problem is the main client sucking up too much of your data connection, Multibit and Electrum are nice light clients you can run on your own machine.  Blockchain.info has a lot of nice advanced features you can use when you grow more comfortable though. And Mobile Apps!!!

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:27:23 AM

I'm not into blockchain.info I think it's called because it takes a while to sync

you are confusing blockchain.info (the web wallet) with Bitcoin's blockchain (the p2p distributed transaction database).
counter (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:34:49 AM

Thanks Atruk, for taking the time to reply and explain ur suggestion.  
My pc is slow and I just want to get start right now and to my understanding
Block chain. info is quirky for a new user like myself and takes a little while to sync.

When u say I have control I like the sounds of that but I also don't know exactly what that means.
I'd perfer to start with something simple now and if need be transfer coins to Blockchain.info in the future.
I don't have a dog in the race as they say just taking baby steps until I feel comfortable jumping in the pool.

counter (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:49:23 AM

thanks for the help so are everyone,  my connection is the worst right now so I'll have to come back later and read what has been added and give rep for the help!  Thanks for the clarification of the Blockchain misunderstanding E&G, anyone else please feel free to add  any helpful info.
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 11:58:05 AM

Thanks Atruk, for taking the time to reply and explain ur suggestion.  
My pc is slow and I just want to get start right now and to my understanding
Block chain. info is quirky for a new user like myself and takes a little while to sync.

When u say I have control I like the sounds of that but I also don't know exactly what that means.
I'd perfer to start with something simple now and if need be transfer coins to Blockchain.info in the future.
I don't have a dog in the race as they say just taking baby steps until I feel comfortable jumping in the pool.

Then try MultiBit. It is a local application on your computer, but it will sync in one or two minutes.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:06:23 PM

. . . Block chain. info is quirky for a new user like myself and takes a little while to sync . . .
As has already been pointed out, you are confusing https://blockchain.info/wallet/ with "The Blockchain" which the reference client Bitcoin-Qt has to download/sync.

I set up a blockchain.info wallet yesterday.  It took be about 75 seconds to set up a completely anonymous wallet.  Nothing to install on my computer, nothing to sync, no personally identifying information required (no email address, no name,  no mailing address, etc).

blockchain.info/wallet allows you to maintain control of your wallet file (they send you a backup whenever you want).  So if they suddenly cease to exist, you can still access your bitcoins by loading the information from that wallet file into another client.

blockchain.info/wallet only stores an encrypted copy of your wallet on their servers, so the people who run the site are unable to spend/steal your bitcoins.

Of all the wallets mentioned here so far (Bitcoin-Qt, Electrum, Multibit, WalletBit, and blockchain.info), blockchain.info/wallet is the only one that is a web hosted wallet.  All the others require you to install a program.
counter (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:37:02 PM

Thanks for the helpful and detailed post DannyHamilton and evey1 else It makes way more sense now.  I'll be using blockchain.info   Grin
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:39:15 PM

i am using blockchain.info too , is by far the best online wallet and the most popular i think.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 12:38:56 AM

blocchain is the BEST. if you want offline, use Armory.

GsR

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:30:16 PM

blockchain.info is the best solution for an on line wallet in my opinion
counter (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 10:48:39 AM

Very much respect to everyone for chiming in I'm glad I asked for help first.  Haven't figured the rep yet but I'll look into it and make it right. Thanks again!  Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 11:17:52 AM

Thank you

counter (OP)

View Profile