Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:10:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox changed the bank transfer message!  (Read 3288 times)
Rocketfella (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:19:40 PM

What is going on?

Last week, I transfered money to Mt.Gox via SEPA and Mt.Gox said I had to include "MTGOX 31337" as the message to identify myself. The money still isn't there, but now I see that they changed the message to "MTGOX 31337X"? What's up with that extra X and where did my money go?  Angry

Has anyone successfully moved any money to or from Mt.Gox using SEPA in the last 7 days?

(No, 31337 is not my actual account number)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:28:56 PM

Have you tried contacting them before coming here to rant?
This forum is about bitcoin. You're on the Bitcoin Discussion board. This is not MtGox support forum.

Of course that if you're actually scammed by a bitcoin merchant, letting the entire community know about it is a nice thing to do. But at least try to solve the problem directly with the merchant and only come here after it's clear you've been scammed. I'm pretty sure that's not your case.
jashan

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 02:34:20 PM

Has anyone successfully moved any money to or from Mt.Gox using SEPA in the last 7 days?

I did, and I still had the number without the X. But I just checked and now I also have it with the X. So it seems they've changed it (probably for some good reason).

IIRC, I sent my money last Friday in the late afternoon and it was on the account Tuesday evening (I was still able to buy at < $20 ... watching it go up from $14 at which I bought with my first transfer ... but at least before it jumped to $30 - even though I wish I had bought much more while it was still at $9; but at that time I still thought I could somehow do it via PayPal ... which "kind of" worked via VirWoX going over Linden$ and www.youtipit.org, which so far was the best experience - but has a pretty low max limit).

Well, I'd still buy at $30 since I'm sure it will eventually go up to $100 and then up to $1000 (we have time ;-) ). Unless, of course, the Universe collapses (in that case, we'd obviously lose all our Bitcoins ;-) ).
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:39:41 PM

I did, and I still had the number without the X. But I just checked and now I also have it with the X. So it seems they've changed it (probably for some good reason).
I have also successfully sent money to Mt. Gox this week. I just checked and I now also have an X at the end of my number. I hope the transfer I sent yesterday (without X) goes through...

I know this because Tyler knows this.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:05:18 PM

I think there's no reason it won't. With or without the X, mtgox should know who you are with just the numbers.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
athcnv

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:15:11 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 11:26:27 AM by athcnv

Glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat! I had thought I had made a mistake! (phew!)

Yeah, that "X" now appears at the end of the message that Mt Gox wants you to put, and it wasn't there on the Mt. Gox site when I actioned the transfer from the bank.

I sure hope the funds go through - the money left the account on Tuesday 7th June! It was in EUR for SEPA transfer

Note: Is there a Mt Gox support forum? All I know is the info@mtgox.com and the aml one for USD.

EDIT: (12/06/11): Yay! Me money is in!! Now to attempt to buy bitcoins.....
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:38:09 PM

I believe this was done to remove the number prefix and to shorten the reference as some banks only allow 11 or so characters as a reference number/description when transferring funds.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
finnthecelt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat! I had thought I had made a mistake! (phew!)

Yeah, that "X" now appears at the end of the message that Mt Gox wants you to put, and it wasn't there on the Mt. Gox site when I actioned the transfer from the bank.

I sure hope the funds go through - the money left the account on Tuesday 7th June! It was in EUR for SEPA transfer

Note: Is there a Mt Gox support forum? All I know is the info@mtgox.com and the aml one for USD.

I find it inconceivable that they would make a system change and not consider transactions in progress. Think about it.....if you were they what would be the first thing you would think about with a systems change? Your product flow.....
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:49:59 PM

I have also successfully sent money to Mt. Gox this week. I just checked and I now also have an X at the end of my number. I hope the transfer I sent yesterday (without X) goes through...
UPDATE: The money made it to Mt. Gox without problems.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
Rocketfella (OP)

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:51:28 PM

Yes, turns  out that the problem is with Postbank not handling SEPA transfers properly. If you want to move EUR to Mt.Gox, don't use Postbank, it's hit or miss and Mt.Gox has to manually correct Postbank transfers before they get credited.

Don't use Postbank, my money hasn't reached Mt.Gox and it's been a week already.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:56:47 PM

has taken 11 days for dwolla to move money from my bank to purgatory and still not to mt gox, or it is and they are not telling me.  Angry
ChupacabraHunter

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

Chupacabra = Corrupt Gov't,Lies and Fraud

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:04:44 PM

I used SEPA as well... it is sooo frustrating, makes you wanna go an mine instead of this wait!!!

I actually have no idea, is it better to buy equipment for $3000 or invest $3000

where is a good thread discussing this.

Here, I just have to plea that someone listens and makes our money appear...

oh, and another question, does anyone know in what order buy transactions are processed?

Like, if I have a buy order at $30, and so do you... who gets it, if there is only 1 sell at $30.

or

If I have a buy order at $30 for 100 BTC, and you have a buy order at $30 for 50 BTC and someone wants to sell 25 BTC at $30, who gets it?

Growling at the evil in the world!
Chupacabraaaaaa
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 09:08:37 PM

I have an account number below 1000 and the X appeared as well.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ChupacabraHunter

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:37:41 PM

Are there any other SEPA (euro) exchanges that work FAST?

Mt Gox is just too slow nowadays.

Grrrrrrrr.  Smiley

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:40:29 AM

Grrrrrrrr.  Smiley

I just spent 2 full days manually checking the ~1000 pending transfers that couldn't be processed (mostly because of postbank, but also because there was a lot of stuff last week).

Please contact info@mtgox.com (and include your name as it appears on your bank) if your funds are not credited. We have moved to ZenDesk for support to allow easier support (you can also securely add tickets on http://support.mtgox.com/ - will redirect to ssl).

As for the X, it's to detect when your bank decided to truncate the description to avoid crediting funds to the wrong account. If you do not put it it didn't make any difference last week (giving one week for everyone to see the new instructions) and starting this week, transactions without the X will go to manual processing.
ChupacabraHunter

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:02:49 PM

Grrrrrrrr.  Smiley

I just spent 2 full days manually checking the ~1000 pending transfers that couldn't be processed (mostly because of postbank, but also because there was a lot of stuff last week).

Please contact info@mtgox.com (and include your name as it appears on your bank) if your funds are not credited. We have moved to ZenDesk for support to allow easier support (you can also securely add tickets on http://support.mtgox.com/ - will redirect to ssl).

As for the X, it's to detect when your bank decided to truncate the description to avoid crediting funds to the wrong account. If you do not put it it didn't make any difference last week (giving one week for everyone to see the new instructions) and starting this week, transactions without the X will go to manual processing.

Thanks for the reply, my funds did show up just as the BTC crashed down towards $10... I got 'in' at around $16... still better than $25, so the long wait actually was good for me

I wish you made it about 7 hours longer Wink  hehehee  that would have been even better.

I know you are busy, so I just kept waiting, and was patient, and only sent you one email, which wasn't responded to.  Perhaps you could have an automated message saying:

"Thanks for the email, we'll get to your query soon..."

or something like that... otherwise I was just worried you are attacked, and robbed of all my email Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: