Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:20:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does SegWit require any change in using send/receive API?  (Read 1418 times)
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 10:21:45 AM

I am using blockcypher send/receive API in certain services and accept Tx with 1+ confirmations. Post SegWit, do I need any change to be made at my end?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 11:40:45 AM

I am using blockcypher send/receive API in certain services and accept Tx with 1+ confirmations. Post SegWit, do I need any change to be made at my end?
It depends on whether blockcypher changes their API but it shouldn't matter unless you are getting raw transactions and verifying then.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 04:03:32 PM

No, only if that API did something weird.
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 06:48:05 PM

Is the API doing "something weird" predictable?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 06:49:16 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Nope. You only know it if the service running the API announces that something will change or if it suddenly changes and now nothing works.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2016, 10:19:26 PM

The prediction is it wouldn't.

I mean, if you're using a third party API then at any point they could make you add an argument "moon moon fish moon"... but there is no reason for them to do that; likewise for segwit.
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 05:50:57 PM

I mean, if you're using a third party API then at any point they could make you add an argument "moon moon fish moon"... but there is no reason for them to do that; likewise for segwit.
Reading a little about SegWit, what I understood that SegWit addresses will be different from usual addresses. So, how a fund sent to a normal address from a SegWit address will be determined by the API?

p.s. I'm sorry if my Q does not make sense. But, I'm getting a little confused here.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2016, 07:49:10 PM

Reading a little about SegWit, what I understood that SegWit addresses will be different from usual addresses. So, how a fund sent to a normal address from a SegWit address will be determined by the API?

p.s. I'm sorry if my Q does not make sense. But, I'm getting a little confused here.
Your question is not clear. What are you asking about? The API's node will have to be segwit compatible in order to understand the outputs.

waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 09:30:45 PM

As I understand it, there is no as-yet agreed on address format for "pure" segwit (p2wpkh, p2wsh), but segwit can be done in p2sh (see bip 141), so initially a segwit-supporting wallet can receive funds from a non-segwit-supporting wallet using p2sh addresses.

Edit: well, but knightdk's answer still applies if you are talking about APIs. I was just trying to interpret what you were really asking.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: