Bitcoin Forum
November 24, 2017, 01:24:18 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming downtime  (Read 4078 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:47:49 AM

Strangely enough I have only ever gotten one 502 in the last few days. What browsers are you all using?

Chrome 24.0.1312.57 on Win7 Home Premium SP1
Chrome 18.0.1025469 on Android 4.2.1 GNex Build JOP40D

When the 502 problem appears, it's on both devices.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 10:07:14 AM

I'm going to find some way of upgrading the hardware. There's probably some way to get more performance out of this hardware, but I don't know how.

If you tell us everything you know i would be happy to help.
And yes, upgrading the hardware is certainly the right thing to do.

The error log has too many trivial errors. I wasn't able to immediately find the 502s. I may look into it more later.
Most probably the 502s are caused by the php-fpm daemon, you won't find a lot of info on nginx/logs/error.log, it will just say "your php-fpm sucks".

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
greyhawk

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:17:51 PM

502s again at 15:15 CET on IE 8.0.7601.17514 (don't judge  Sad ) / Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:35:37 PM

502s again at 15:15 CET on IE 8.0.7601.17514 (don't judge  Sad ) / Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

That's interesting.

I have none. Yesterday I had some during the same time as you with my normal connection (from Germany)

Today US proxy and none.

Probably just coincidence.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
greyhawk

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 02:45:34 PM

I don't think it's connection related. I'm connected via X-WiN/GÉANT 2/Internet2 right now.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 03:24:06 PM

I use chrome as well. I've tested it when I get the 502's and I'll open Firefox 19 and get the same error. Only lasts for a minute or two. When you first switched, it was longer, now, just momentarily.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
sounds

Activity: 140

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:53:14 PM

Just got a 502 for a few seconds
21after2

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:23:24 AM

The last two days I've been getting major lag again. I just had a couple errors on Chrome saying that the server shut down the connection, or something like that. First time I had seen the error.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 2856

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:23:59 AM

I improved some more settings and restarted the web server.

I will probably switch to a much more powerful server in a week or two. I've been making arrangements.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
21after2

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:26:14 AM

That would do it then, lol.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:12:18 AM

I improved some more settings and restarted the web server.

I will probably switch to a much more powerful server in a week or two. I've been making arrangements.
Can we know the details so that we can help?

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 12:24:53 PM

Getting the 502 error every couple of hours or so.

Spawn more overlords fastcgi instances. PHP-FPM has this adaptive spawning feature to handle load spikes. If you are memory starved you can do a custom PHP build (--disable-all and enable only what SMF is using) which will make the processes a lot leaner.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:03:32 PM

The forum is neraly unsualble today.

I hope we are ddosed or something. If not this really needs to be fixed ASAP. It's not OK if the forum collapses everytime we get a huge amount of visitors.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:09:02 PM

The point is that we could help... Hell I manage 50M pageviews daily... But there is no collaboration at all from the admin.

It must be a plot to make bitcoin look less professional so that we have more time unitil it explodes.

21after2

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:39:21 PM

I hope we are ddosed or something. If not this really needs to be fixed ASAP. It's not OK if the forum collapses everytime we get a huge amount of visitors.

I agree. I had multiple 500 errors today (500, 502, and 503), and it seems like the forum was completely down for quite a while.

theymos, was this because of new changes again? We need to be more pro-active about forum stability and software if we want to match forum growth, and the growth of Bitcoin as a whole.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:16:42 AM

I agree. I had multiple 500 errors today (500, 502, and 503), and it seems like the forum was completely down for quite a while.

theymos, was this because of new changes again? We need to be more pro-active about forum stability and software if we want to match forum growth, and the growth of Bitcoin as a whole.

Same here. This is the first time I've been able to stay on BT for an extended period of time, and have no guarantee that I'll be able to post this post. I've had the 500, 502, and 503 errors as well all day. Along with an SSL warning of some type via Chrome (using Vista on laptop) and another really weird warning I've never seen before, nor bother to remember. Taxing my memory, it read similar to an SSL type warning, yet completely different.

Any chance the meteor had anything to do with this?  Roll Eyes

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

EDIT: Had a 504 (first time) Gateway Problem when I posted this and this is the first time I've been able to get back on BT. Compare timestamps with original and edit version of this post to see the difference.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:51:46 AM

theymos, it is time to make a choice. This forum is running on the crappiest forum software out there. SMF 1 was released in 2003, that's 10 years ago. It is still using <tables> for formatting for crying out loud. This dinosaur cannot support a community like this. Even SMF 2 would be an improvement at this point. A faster server won't make the problem go away, it's just like patching a wound with duct tape.

Your other post about developing forum software makes absolutely no sense. Even if you paid 3 people to develop custom forum software it would take months for a working solution and at least a year for it to become stable enough. It's only a case with big companies that they develop their own forum software, the reason being that it's a huge undertaking to do something like that. There are many commercial options available right now which are already deployed on websites handling 50K+ concurrent visitors. They all support plugins so bitcoin specific parts can be developed by the community after the fact.
21after2

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:36:14 AM

EDIT: Had a 504 (first time) Gateway Problem when I posted this and this is the first time I've been able to get back on BT. Compare timestamps with original and edit version of this post to see the difference.

Just had one myself. It's taking upwards of two minutes to load a page, if it loads at all.
humanitee

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:59:46 AM

Just became usable for me.
paraipan
Legendary

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 02:14:52 AM

theymos please enable cloudflare caching and ddos protection, the forum is not usable lately.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.