Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:17:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: They are real: The Bitcoin Foundation Opens Up Avalon’s First ASIC  (Read 4346 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 11:27:12 PM

Hey All,

(Pictures and Video - click the link)

They are real: The Bitcoin Foundation Opens Up Avalon’s First ASIC
Charlie Shrem    Feb 01 2013

Link: https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=112

As most of the world awoke to see Bitcoin priced over $20, a new 18-month high, a few of us were fortunate enough to see another miracle this morning – the world’s first ASIC Bitcoin mining machine alive and kicking.

Since the beginning of Bitcoin mining, it’s been understood that the hardware would specialize to the point of dedicated process-specific chips, known as “ASICs” (application specific integrated circuits). However, until today, it was all hope and speculation. And for a year now, the community has been abuzz with rumors and a fierce competition by several companies to be the first to market with the holy grail of hashing.

And to be sure, ASICs are not just a marginal improvement in technology – they represent a mining efficiency upgrade of roughly 50x. Big money, for anyone who can get one up and running and out of the land of unicorns and rainbows.

A winner has finally emerged. Yifu Guo, head of BitSynCom LLC and his soon-to-be infamous Avalon brand, has slaughtered all the unicorns. Yifu arrived in New York City last night, after more than two months in China finishing his masterwork. With him, Avalon’s first ASIC V1. As we poured over it this morning, the thought occurred that it should perhaps be named, “Helicopter Ben.” The difference between this machine and Ben Bernanke, of course, is that this thing prints real money, not the unlimited digital currency known as the US dollar.

As we plugged the beast in (and it is a beast – the size of a desktop computer in a thick aluminum exoskeleton), three NMB MAT7 fans roared to life. It actually sounded like a helicopter. Once the software starts running, however, the temp-controlled fans quiet down markedly. It’s worth pointing out that, while large, the Avalon V1 looks beautiful inside and out. Clean lines, well-organized, and sturdy – it looks professional.

But how does it perform? Beautifully. The unit in front of us, after 30 seconds configuring it with the laptop, was churning out 89 gigahashes of raw crypto-juice every second. This is equal to roughly 250 Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards. And while each of those graphics cards would suck up 200 watts, the Avalon V1 takes only 500-600 watts in total. This isn’t about slowing carbon emissions, it’s about bringing maximum security to the network at the lowest possible cost.

Buyers of the first batch should know that the Avalon units are modular and upgradeable. The stock V1′s will have 3 hashing modules putting out roughly 67 gigahashes per second in total. This model unit in front of us had been upgraded to 4 sets of chips (one more than stock) which is why it puts out over 80 gigahashes. Buyers of the V2 batch, which goes on sale within a day or two, will have room for six sets of chips (V1′s maxing out at 4).

While Helicopter Ben was humming away on the desk, we did some quick calculations. We realized, amazingly, that the machine is actually earning more than minimum wage here in New York City. But unlike a typical employee, this thing works 24/7, taking no holidays, and demanding no healthcare or special benefits. And it won’t ever unionize.

But more than just techie hardware advance, there’s a human narrative worth observing. Sitting on the desk, next to the V1, is a 23 year old bottle of Ron Zacapa rum, to commemorate Yifu Guo’s 23rd birthday today. He’s 23, and he just took Bitcoin mining into a new era. We could tell that Yifu was proud of his creation, and he should be.

Yifu had begun this process a year ago, as he was worried that if only one or two companies built ASICs, and they built too many of them for themselves, it would represent a threat to the Bitcoin network. What if those companies held all the chips and commanded 51% of the network? It was unlikely, but possible, and so Yifu set out to build ASICs of his own, knowing he could trust himself to get them into the hands of diverse customers. Decentralization, and all that.

While he knew he’d never be the first to market, at least he’d be protecting the network. As it turns out, Yifu’s competitors suffered delays, and a couple competitors dropped out of the market completely. Yifu eventually realized that Avalon would be the first brand of ASIC to actually hit the market, “I became the centralization that I set out to destroy,” he jokes.

Those who trusted Yifu with their capital will be richly rewarded, and the Bitcoin network is about to become far more secure. ASIC’s have gone from hypothesis to product. A new piece of the Bitcoin infrastructure has been built.

Many of us see the Bitcoin world as the Wild West, and it’s an apt analogy. Rife with danger, fraudsters, adventure, and opportunity, the Bitcoin landscape is both hostile and beautiful. Upon it, a crucial monetary revolution is happening, and on days like today, we’re reminded that the good guys are winning.

Enjoy  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:13:41 AM

Maths gurus: how slowly would 89GH have to switch in and out of the network for it to be visible above the hash-rate noise floor?

I wanna see glitches on bitcoincharts or it didn't happen! Wink
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:27:49 AM

But more than just techie hardware advance, there’s a human narrative worth observing. Sitting on the desk, next to the V1, is a 23 year old bottle of Ron Zacapa rum, to commemorate Yifu Guo’s 23rd birthday today. He’s 23, and he just took Bitcoin mining into a new era. We could tell that Yifu was proud of his creation, and he should be.

Yifu had begun this process a year ago, as he was worried that if only one or two companies built ASICs, and they built too many of them for themselves, it would represent a threat to the Bitcoin network. What if those companies held all the chips and commanded 51% of the network? It was unlikely, but possible, and so Yifu set out to build ASICs of his own, knowing he could trust himself to get them into the hands of diverse customers. Decentralization, and all that.

While he knew he’d never be the first to market, at least he’d be protecting the network. As it turns out, Yifu’s competitors suffered delays, and a couple competitors dropped out of the market completely. Yifu eventually realized that Avalon would be the first brand of ASIC to actually hit the market, “I became the centralization that I set out to destroy,” he jokes.

Wow, sounds like a new legend to rank up there with Art Forz ... bitcoin magazine needs to do an article on Yifu Guo

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 01:38:53 AM

Strong work!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 01:53:55 AM

we did some quick calculations. We realized, amazingly, that the machine is actually earning more than minimum wage here in New York City

A great reward for the first few out there but that return will drop once that single machine is multiplied by hundreds/thousands.

Awesome stuff though.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:56:10 AM

Finally they arrived! This is very nice

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:13:22 AM

Maths gurus: how slowly would 89GH have to switch in and out of the network for it to be visible above the hash-rate noise floor?

Whatever pool you aim this at is definitely going to notice it, but for the network at large it is a single Avalon Asic is still roughly one third of one hundredth of one percent of the bitcoin network's hashing power or a bit less.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:56:42 AM

Whatever pool you aim this at is definitely going to notice it, but for the network at large it is a single Avalon Asic is still roughly one third of one hundredth of one percent of the bitcoin network's hashing power or a bit less.

Or in other words, on average, a solo mining Avalon ASIC should find a block once every 2 days, 4 hours at current difficulty.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:58:36 AM

Your maths is incorrect by a couple orders of magnitude.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 04:15:52 AM

Or in other words, on average, a solo mining Avalon ASIC should find a block once every 2 days, 4 hours at current difficulty.

Ahhh, this takes me back to early days of the first of the double 5970 rigs ... actually was a block per day when we hacked up the PCI extension cable/power breakout trick I seem to recall.

Atruk

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:05:51 AM

Which is awesome, but just a couple aren't going to spike the network into a steep incline as long as the avalon release continues to ship steadily, probably at least a few days before there is a noticeable impact

I just roughly divided 25 trillion by 80 billion (I think it was a few hours ago).

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:08:15 AM

Which is awesome, but just a couple aren't going to spike the network into a steep incline as long as the avalon release continues to ship steadily, probably at least a few days before there is a noticeable impact

I just roughly divided 25 trillion by 80 billion (I think it was a few hours ago).

Off by a single order of magnitude. The correct math should be: one third of one tenth of one percent.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

Off by a single order of magnitude. The correct math should be: one third of one tenth of one percent.

89 / 24,500 [current network estimate from bitcoincharts.com] = 0.0036.  x 100 = 0.36%.  So two orders of magnitude.  One third of one percent.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:13:14 AM

89 / 24,500 [current network estimate from bitcoincharts.com] = 0.0036.  x 100 = 0.36%.  So two orders of magnitude.  One third of one percent.

Ah, that's embarrassing.  Embarrassed
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:54:12 AM

Sick math burn.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
grubles

Activity: 180

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:15:06 AM

Enjoy finding blocks every 2 days or so for a couple weeks until difficulty inevitably shoots up and you realize you would be better off selling your hardware and just buying btc.  Cry

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 06:47:07 AM

Ahhh, this takes me back to early days of the first of the double 5970 rigs ... actually was a block per day when we hacked up the PCI extension cable/power breakout trick I seem to recall.

Hahah...I found 4 blocks in one night on my laptop CPU...man have things changed. If only I had found Bitcoin sooner...it was literally a week later that CPU mining went kaput...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:53:59 AM

Very nice!

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
grubles

Activity: 180

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:57:43 AM

“I became the centralization that I set out to destroy” that is the essence of mining at this point.

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
Atruk

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 07:51:40 AM

It figures my brain would have skip the step that converts it to a percent when I'm trying to do math in public.

Hahah...I found 4 blocks in one night on my laptop CPU...man have things changed. If only I had found Bitcoin sooner...it was literally a week later that CPU mining went kaput...

Sometime in the spring of 2009 I'd just heard of this bitcoin thing on some forum, it was probably a cold story in the Slashdot firehose. It was Friday and I was headed out of town for the weekend so I just left my laptop mining these things. I come back there's a 150 bitcoins in my wallet and I just forget they exist for a few months. That fall I'm cleaning out app I hadn't used and stumble on this bitcoin thing again and decide to see if they are worth anything. When I find out they are worth somewhere between a dime and a quarter I'm like fuck this shit... uninstall. When the news of dollar parity hit I spent a good several hours finding out that wallet.dat was definitely overwritten.

At least I donated their value to all of the other bitcoins instead of helping that Pirate fellow overdose on mountains of cocaine and strippers.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: