Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:21:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Active Bitcoin discussion on the TalkGold forums  (Read 4135 times)
The Madhatter (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 06:00:37 AM

I stumbled upon this very active discussion about Bitcoin over at the TalkGold forums. You guys might find it to be an interesting read.

http://www.talkgold.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3971065

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12878

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 06:35:18 AM

http://www.talkgold.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3965344&postcount=32

http://www.talkgold.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3938049&postcount=13

Quote from: nanaimogold
The number issued is hard coded to the width of a certain crypto key.

Quote from: PhD
BitCoin is based on several important aspects of cryptography, I guess BC uses symmetric and asymmetric cryptography at the same time.

LOL. These people have no idea what they're talking about.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 07:35:43 AM

Terribly angry misconceptions in there.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 11:01:24 AM

Terribly angry misconceptions in there.
And those are people who know more about money than the average Joe.

It just shows how difficult it is to introduce a new concept. Advertising agencies know this, of course, and design their campaigns carefully to convey new ideas to potential future buyers.

Steve Jobs knows it too. Watch one of his product presentations and you'll be in no doubt as to the intended purpose of the product.

Never underestimate how difficult it is to communicate a new idea, and how much effort it will take to do so.

Of course, in a few years time when people look back they will wonder with amazement why such an "obvious" idea was so hard to explain.
The Madhatter (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM

+1 These people are "seasoned" alt currency people and they don't even get it. lol!
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 02:18:01 PM

Luckily Bitcoin doesn't have to be explained to the normal user in more detail than: "It is money. You can transfer it between people just like other money using this program."
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 03:25:18 PM

Of course, in a few years time when people look back they will wonder with amazement why such an "obvious" idea was so hard to explain.

I think we have a long discussion about the economic of bitcoins until all the misconceptions of the bitcoiners boiled away.

Aqualung

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:18:36 PM

Bitcoin idea is easy while you're just transferring some coins to buy something or to pay to someone. But if new person is interested in generation bitcoins - it's getting hard to explain how this thing actually works. As for me - bitcoin is simple thing, but to say that i spend about 2 days to understand conception of bitcoin.

used to be a miner
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:28:58 PM

I discovered the same thing when I posted about bitcoin at freedominion.ca.  This is a forum devoted to conservative and libertarian discussion, yet the response I got regarding bitcoin was pretty dismal.

Then I was going to post a chart of the recent trading action at forexfactory.com to see if any of the fx traders would find it interesting but I don't have enough vouchers to start a thread.  If any of you guys are active on forexfactory you might want to start something.

The best way to go about introducing bitcoin to a layman probably isn't to talk about the Federal Reserve, the Treasury and fiat currency inflation, nor is it to talk about anonymity when buying online, and for sure it isn't to talk about how you can generate a whopping 50 bitcoin by letting your PC run 24/7 for 12 weeks. 

Probably the best way is to talk about it's utility for micropayments.  That something anyone who has bought a virtual good on a social network understands.  Likewise, anyone who wants to monetize their meager blog of 20 visitors/day will 'get it'.  At least that's my hypothesis.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:35:42 PM

I discovered the same thing when I posted about bitcoin at freedominion.ca.  This is a forum devoted to conservative and libertarian discussion, yet the response I got regarding bitcoin was pretty dismal.

It is sad that our libertarian comrades don't agree across the board. Only crypto-anarchists comrades agree that this is a good idea.

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 05:34:32 PM

And... bitcoins are accepted still in only a limited way.

Which comes down to something I was thinking about this morning...

We have now many people offering their services for bitcoins. That is fine and all, but how about post (other topic) if you NEED something and you are willing to pay by bitcoins (tell how much you are willing to spend at most). A bit like the pizza topic some time ago, I think that one was quite successful.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 05:59:57 PM

I need Dow Jones Industrial Shorts or Puts next Monday/Tuesday and pay with BTC

Anonymous

October 10, 2010, 01:03:37 AM

Im surprised people say you cant buy anything using bitcoins. Ive been selling Amazon gift cards by proxy for months now and it costs the person buying them nothing extra to do so. All you need to do is provide a way to get the code ie an email address or a pm on the forum. You can buy virtually anything on amazon  Grin.

The issue seems to be that you cant buy them directly. If you can get them just as easily through a third party what really is the issue ?

The assertion that you cant buy anything with bitcoins is false. As davidonpda says he has been able to do this for ages.

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 01:35:13 AM

There is a discussion about bitcoin going on at this forum:
http://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?p=884284#post884284

The Madhatter (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 08:28:59 AM

It is sad that our libertarian comrades don't agree across the board. Only crypto-anarchists comrades agree that this is a good idea.

Cheers to my fellow cryptoanarchists! Cheesy

The Madhatter (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 08:31:08 AM

The issue seems to be that you cant buy them directly. If you can get them just as easily through a third party what really is the issue ?

It's not like you can buy something from Amazon directly with LR either. These people just don't get the concept yet. I've had many many many discussions with people about Bitcoin and I'm surprised how many intelligent people don't grasp it right away. It has a steep learning curve.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 09:52:38 AM

The problem is that, if you don't understand the basics of cryptography, and if you don't know exactly what is P2P or open source, you'll be reluctant. That seemed to be the problem in this talkgold forum.
And if besides that you don't even understand the economic problem in fiat currencies, you just won't see why the hell should you care about bitcoins.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 10:08:17 AM

caveden,

the first issue could be resolved if someone could explain this in simple words, almost if he needs to convince his grandma.

Who could give it a try?

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 10:23:58 AM

Bitcoins are easy to exchange for paypal, or for giftcards etc.  However as an intermediary they become completely unecesssary.  More bitcoin direct merchants will make a big difference that being able to buy amazon giftcards or paypal for use on ebay does not (after all, if I use paypal to buy bitcoins, and then bitcoins to buy paypal I end up paying paypal more money, not less.)

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Anonymous

October 10, 2010, 10:38:11 AM

I tried bumping the thread where we have a bounty for someone to make a video explaining how to use bitcoin. Ive donated a lot of btc to the bitcoin address listed in the thread but the person who started it seems to have disappeared. Is this yet another example of a bitcoin scam? The bounty should be over $1000 with the latest rise in value yet nothing has been posted.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: