Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:53:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a full Node whilst using a VPN  (Read 634 times)
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:55:24 PM

Hi i have been running my node for awhile now but have only recently wanted to start using a vpn permanently.  When i do this my Node drops to the minimum 8 outbound connections and drops all inbound, is there a way round this?  i'm presuming that this is because my IP has changed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:56:36 PM

Maybe your provider blocks Bitcoin ports?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 10:17:21 AM

Hi i have been running my node for awhile now but have only recently wanted to start using a vpn permanently.  When i do this my Node drops to the minimum 8 outbound connections and drops all inbound, is there a way round this?  i'm presuming that this is because my IP has changed?

Since you are (likely) not the only person using the VPN your node is no longer reachable from the outside and is thus limited to 8 connections.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
calkob (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 01:49:04 PM

Since you are (likely) not the only person using the VPN your node is no longer reachable from the outside and is thus limited to 8 connections.

Thanks Shorena i do get that, are you saying then a Bitcoin core node cant be run if using a vpn service permanently?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 01:58:00 PM

Thanks Shorena i do get that, are you saying then a Bitcoin core node cant be run if using a vpn service permanently?

No, you can run a node without accepting connections from the outside. No matter from which direction the connection was established, the traffic can flow in both directions. You will still get all the data and run a full node. You are just no longer available to SPV clients like multibit.

calkob (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 02:03:14 PM

No, you can run a node without accepting connections from the outside. No matter from which direction the connection was established, the traffic can flow in both directions. You will still get all the data and run a full node. You are just no longer available to SPV clients like multibit.

Thanks for that, i was just always under the impression that to be classed a "full node" you had to be excepting incoming connections.   Smiley
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 02:10:50 PM

Thanks for that, i was just always under the impression that to be classed a "full node" you had to be excepting incoming connections.   Smiley

Some people claim that, but I and at least one core developer disagree. Feel free to find your own way, but for me the "full" in full node means, "fully verifying" which has nothing to do with the number of connections (should be at least 1 though) or which way they are established. If you prefer more connections you could also modify the code slightly to make core establish more outbound connections.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: