Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:07:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Constantly paranoid  (Read 917 times)
Jellybean (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 08:41:47 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 02:06:14 AM by Jellybean

Hi everyone, new folk here.
So basically I was mining for about a year now, and gained 93bitcoins. I mined on 2 different pools (deepbit, btcguild) and sent all the btc to my wallet-qt. Now, the problem is that a week ago i did a virus scan and found malware and spyware and got really really paranoid about it.
My wallet-qt is encrypted (I used the encryption feature in the Wallet) and since reading here and hearing stories about viruses and hacks that steals bitcoins, i'm getting constantly worried about my hardly mined coins.I don't really know what to do, because my 2 workers (Deepbit, btcguild) are connected to my wallet (auto payment every week).

Because i'm not thinking about spending them soon, I thought to create 5 Paper Wallets via www.bitaddress.org, and store 20 coins on each paper wallet, and when i'd like to use let's say 20 coins, I will have only to send the coins to the receipent address. But my question is - How can I create paper wallets when offline? I tried to access the site, but it won't load, because I'm not connected to the interenet, so how should I do that? And should I print the Paper wallets, or should I write them down on papers and hide them securely in a very secure places that only I know?

My second question - Where should I send my new coins (from the pools)? I was thinking to keep sending the mined btc from the pools to my bitcoin-qt wallet, and every time transfer them right away to my Paper Wallets. Is that sounds good?
Maybe I should move to the Armory Wallet, which is much safer? If so, can I replace my current "wallet.dat" from my bitcoin-qt wallet to the Armory Wallet and that will work?

Thanks a lot guys, would love to come back and see some help from someone.
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chrisLG

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:18:25 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 06:23:08 AM by chrisLG

Autor changed the question.

Hi Jellybean,

why do you think should the password on the old wallet have changed? How could the new wallet "talk" to your old wallet? Everything is propably fine (relatively, concerning the malware on your computer).

Just out of curiosity - why do you not just transfer all your btc from one wallet to another and pay the 0,0005 transaction fee?

Or (as long as you trust blockchain.info to not run off with your money) transfer the btc to a wallet there (maybe just for a few hours until the blockchain on your new system is synced).

Hope that helped

Christopher
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:48:06 AM

How can I create paper wallets when offline? I tried to access the site, but it won't load, because I'm not connected to the interenet

The .html from BitAddress contains all the javascript, images, css, etc., so all you need to do is View Source -> Save As (or whatever method your browser uses to save a copy of the .html to disk) and store it to a flash drive. 

Then when you boot to an offline LIveOS, just open the .html from the flash drive. 

If you are using a Linux-based LiveOS, you can probably do a sha1sum and it should be identical to the sha1sum the latest (to verify that the version on the thumb drive matches the one served by BitAddress):
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.msg1492594#msg1492594

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Timer

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:15:46 AM

You should try Armory, I've heard that's the #1 most secure BTC wallet on the web.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 02:54:14 PM

So:

1. You had a bitcoin wallet.dat running on windows with password #1,
2. you copy the Bitcoin wallet to an Ubuntu machine,
3. on the Ubuntu machine you change the password to password #2,
4. you are surprised that when you boot back into Windows and the password is still #1?

before starting anything: re-backup your windows wallet.dat to a different media (USB stick, encrypted 7zip with a strong password and email it to your gmail, etc.)

If you think you will be happy only using Ubuntu, you can migrate your day-to-day Bitcoin to that, which will be less likely to pick up viruses and spyware. You'll want to install Ubuntu on your computer, running off a live CD is inconvenient and it's storage of persistent data is capricious. The best way would be to use a fresh install of Bitcoin on the new Ubuntu (remove the .bitcoin directory and start again), which will give you a new wallet and new addresses, then close that Bitcoin and back up the new Ubuntu wallet.dat to a USB stick and store it safely. Then send all your Windows bitcoins to an address in the new wallet. Then even if someone has compromised the old install or stolen your old wallet, they will have no access to your Bitcoins.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 03:02:00 PM

Easy way to do this:

Open bitaddress.org on your web browser (connected to internet). Hit file>Save As and save it to a flash drive.

Boot your Ubuntu Live OS with internet disconnected, insert the flash drive with the bitaddress.org files, and open the .html file.

Print the paper wallets & transfer your BTC to them.

I would then recommend you copy any important files off of your PC, reformat and do an operating reinstall.

I would also recommend not using the old wallet.dat file in case it has been copied & the virus-writer tries to brute-force the encryption password (or your password may have been keylogged). I would stop giving out those BTC addresses, export all your private keys from the wallet.dat and import them into mtgox.com, anytime new funds arrive at these addresses by accident, mtgox will sweep them out of the addresses automatically.

For extra security, get rid of windows and use Linux.

Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:36:43 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 02:10:47 AM by Jellybean

Wow, thank you so much guys. You rock

All solutions sound REALLY good, I'm going to create the paper wallets and move my btc there. Currently my PC is during a wipe process with CCleaner, and then I'll use the Ubuntu as you suggested, print 5 paper wallets and spread my btc balance to them.

I would stop giving out those BTC addresses, export all your private keys from the wallet.dat and import them into mtgox.com, anytime new funds arrive at these addresses by accident, mtgox will sweep them out of the addresses automatically.

I'm registered to the pools with 2 addresses of my wallet, and they (deepbit/btcguild) do not let me change the addresses for some reasons, so how do I import my private keys out of my wallet?
Getting the mined btc directly to blockchain (only on payouts-once in a week) and then manually to my Paper Wallet would be more secure than my current payout method, right?

Thanks everyone, was really excited to see an amazing support for a newb like me. Bless you
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:47:09 PM

All solutions sound REALLY good, I'm going to create the paper wallets and move my btc there. Currently my PC is during a wipe process with CCleaner, and then I'll use the Ubuntu as you suggested, print 5 paper wallets and spread my btc balance to them.

Sounds perfect. This is exactly what I done when I was afraid my old wallet may have been compromised.

I'm registered in the pools with these addresses, and they do not let me change the address for some reasons, so how do I import my private keys out of my wallet?

In that case I would contact the pool operators and see if they can change the payout addresses, I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Slightly off-topic, but I would recommend using P2Pool (or a P2Pool node) as your pool, no fees & it helps prevent any one pool from getting 51% of the network hashpower.

As for exporting the private keys:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4469/extract-private-keys-from-bitcoin-wallet

You can then type them into the MtGox import private key on the deposit page. This is definitely the best thing to do if you are worried that the wallet may have been compromised.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 05:07:55 PM

if your on Winblows and your Paranoid, the firs thing would be to leave Windows, every security on Win is a pure placebo Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Jellybean (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:28:05 PM

Sounds perfect. This is exactly what I done when I was afraid my old wallet may have been compromised.

I'm registered in the pools with these addresses, and they do not let me change the address for some reasons, so how do I import my private keys out of my wallet?

In that case I would contact the pool operators and see if they can change the payout addresses, I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Slightly off-topic, but I would recommend using P2Pool (or a P2Pool node) as your pool, no fees & it helps prevent any one pool from getting 51% of the network hashpower.

As for exporting the private keys:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4469/extract-private-keys-from-bitcoin-wallet

You can then type them into the MtGox import private key on the deposit page. This is definitely the best thing to do if you are worried that the wallet may have been compromised.
Thank you so much man. I will donate to your address in your signature as soon as I finish the procedure.
Thanks guys, very nice of you all helping me out.

Anyway, I was wondering, since mtgox has been hacked in the past, maybe should I use blockchain.info instead? Would love to hear your opinion on this.
HowGudAmI

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 01:15:43 AM

You should try Armory, I've heard that's the #1 most secure BTC wallet on the web.

Just looked that up... It looks pretty neat! may have to give it a go.

Smiley
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:46:17 AM

Wow, the armory site friggin rocks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: