Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:47:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My review of BitPay  (Read 6953 times)
litehacker (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:02:49 PM

I run the website BestChineseMedicines.com.

I have been reading a lot about Bitcoin, and have been debating whether or not to add it to my site.

I come from a very technical background. I work as a computer consultant for large firms in New York.
Creating multiple addresses for each transaction is not the easiest thing in the world for more people.
I'd be able to do it, but I just have no time.

Judging from my perspective I wanted to see how easy would it be to use BitPay.
BitPay is supposed to allow you to accept Bitcoins "easily".. So I wanted to see how quick I can implement it on my site.

Now that I've implemented it on my site, I've got a list of pros and cons for using BitPay.

Pros:
* It is very easy for non-technical people to start accepting payment using Bitcoins. Even if if they don't understand what Bitcoins are exactly.
The actual time spend on integrating with BitPay was about 30 minutes, and most of it had to do with rewriting our code, not using the BitPay library.
* BitPay seems to take into account security with Bitcoin. They have a timer for how long each transaction can take.
* It looks professional. They have a nice "Click to pay" button which is compatible with most bitcoin clients.
* Very configurable. You can set the callback location, where to route users after paying, the order ID they would be receiving. All this can be set PER INVOICE.. I wish Paypal had such functionality.
* The callback functionality is VERY simple.. the keys match the input you provided. This is VERY different from Paypal, and Google Checkout especially.

Cons:
* BitPay doesn't entirely show the 'Bitcoin' is actually a different currency. They show their service as an alternative form of payment.
As a result, they did not yet provide any function that will convert your dollars into bitcoins on your site. (Not even some cheap javascript version.)
For true Bitcoin users, if the products are not expressed in Bitcoins, it removes confidence that the site actually accepts Bitcoins. You need some kind of sign or something. Which brings me to the next point:
* BitPay doesn't have an obvious  "We accept Bitcoins" sign to add to your page.
* Refunds are not automated. Every time you want to send a refund, you need to send an email to their support address.

hi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:05:26 PM

Here's what you're looking for:

And for the exchange rates:

http://blockchain.info/api/exchange_rates_api

* Refunds are not automated. Every time you want to send a refund, you need to send an email to their support address.

Really? Never knew that. Definitely something that should be addressed.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 05:48:06 PM

Yep, we are working on it. 

Thanks for the review!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:09:57 AM

What are the max limits for bitpay if you have a business and go through all the verification? For example there's a mail order gold company in my country I want to set up with Bitpay so I can buy gold easier
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:11:48 PM

Reviving an old topic.  

Does anyone have any opinion on the fact that the payment process is so cumbersome and complicated?   Buying a product on a web site actually takes you off the browser completely, the system looks for a windows application, prompts you to select the best application to complete the task, seeks out BitcoinQT software on your computer, loads up the QT windows application, takes you to the "Send" screen on there, fills in the blanks for you, etc .... *(exhausting!)* ......... geez.

I am a little spoiled by Coinbase, where a beautiful popup appears, and you click, click, done.  Within the browser.  Its much faster, and easier.  

I am worried that most of my users aren't going to have QT installed, and if they do, they wont want the hassle of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 steps just to get everything loaded up, and a payment sent using it.  It feels very strange taking them off their browser entirely and loading up a local application like that.  Surely there must be a better method for doing this .... ?

Any opinions or am I just being too nitpicky?

Thanks

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 07:47:17 PM by BittBurger

What if you're using another client like electrum and don't even have bitcoin-qt on your computer? Sounds like a poor solution to me.
It does let you select an application.  Using a windows browse popup   Undecided But the whole concept of taking the user off the browser, to manually load a windows app, is so old school to me.   If that is the process, why do I need BitPay?  I can just tell users:  "Load up your wallet and send to this address".  Or pay a programmer 10 minutes to create a button that loads QT when clicked.  Not sure I can justify paying $thousands$ in merchant fees to BitPay for a tool that is identical to the manual process which can be done for free.

they just showed an address & QR-code on the screen and I could use whatever client/service to pay
Yes.  You're basically saying the same thing I am.  There is a QR code, and you "click" to pay ... which initiates the whole "Pick a windows application" process.

Obviously im missing something here.  

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
postcd

Activity: 182
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:14:25 PM

My review: Smiley
Bitpay charges 1% fee per transaction. I have merchant account of my bitcoin hosting and it works as advertissed, quite easy setup (except setting your withdrawal bitcoin wallet (Its in Direct Deposit area on the bottom).

Bitcoin Web hosting, Server? InstantcPanelHosting.com
Contact.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 11:13:53 PM

From a buyers point of view.

Preconditions: I am well banked, have a number of debit and credit cards, domestic and foreign bank accounts, internet broker accounts and so on. It is really easy to order online. At home I use to pay with a local bank transfer, sometimes Visa, sometimes "Cash on deliverey", except it is really local bank transfer on delivery. On the internet, normally Visa.

The other day I ordered a subscription of a private virtual private network (privateinternetaccess) and they offered payment with bitcoin via Bitpay. Guess what, the payment process with bitcoin was even easier than the smoothest Visa internet payment.

This is going to be big.
margaritahuyan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:36:05 AM

Good review.

elm
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:25:26 AM

Yep, we are working on it. 

Thanks for the review!

I mailed 2 times to Bitpay and after 10 days no answer yet. I am new to this and wanted some info Sad
elm
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:34:57 AM

My review: Smiley
Bitpay charges 1% fee per transaction. I have merchant account of my bitcoin hosting and it works as advertissed, quite easy setup (except setting your withdrawal bitcoin wallet (Its in Direct Deposit area on the bottom).

@postcd

would there be a possibility that You could help me with some info how to work with bitpay? I mean I need a merchant account for my website. any help is very much appreciated.
Crowd

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:44:54 AM

they dont want answer on letters
I paid already 60 dollars for the card, send all documents but they do not answer more than 3 weeks
BITPAY IS SCAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: