Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:28:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So what happens if MyTrezor site is offline?  (Read 449 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 03:12:00 PM

Im trying to find what the best way to store your main stack of BTC is. I've got a Core wallet and im looking forward to getting my funds even more safe by having them completely disconnected from the internet.
I've seen MyTrezor requires you to log in in some website.. I don't get it. Isn't the idea be able to manage your money offline?
I want to be able to create new addresses online to receive money like in Bitcoin Core so im not stuck with the same address (so wallet paper wouldn't do) but have it all safe from the internet.
Please recommend me the best method. I thought about buying Trezor but im not sure now.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 03:14:07 PM

When MyTrezor is offline you just use another client to manage your funds. And no, the point isn't being offline. The point of Trezor is exactly the opposite: be online, but having your coins secure just like having the keys offline.
topiOleg

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 03:17:52 PM

I've seen MyTrezor requires you to log in in some website.. I don't get it. Isn't the idea be able to manage your money offline?

You can use other wallets that integrate Trezor instead, I believe Electrum is Trezor compatible. Trezor is good choice if you have more Bitcoins.

thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 03:25:21 PM

When MyTrezor is offline you just use another client to manage your funds. And no, the point isn't being offline. The point of Trezor is exactly the opposite: be online, but having your coins secure just like having the keys offline.

I don't undestand. If you are online, you are prone to attacks. Cold storage means offline.
Does Trezor keep private keys offline, while being able to be online (create new keys and receive payments) how does it do it?

You can use other wallets that integrate Trezor instead, I believe Electrum is Trezor compatible. Trezor is good choice if you have more Bitcoins.

I don't understand.. how does Trezor and Electrum communicate with each other.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 03:31:49 PM

I don't undestand. If you are online, you are prone to attacks. Cold storage means offline.
Does Trezor keep private keys offline, while being able to be online (create new keys and receive payments) how does it do it?

Trezor keeps the keys in itself separated from the online environment to which it is connected to. Transactions are signed on the device and sent to the online computer. Exactly the same as Cold Storage, but with the convenience of being able to be online.

For info on how it does it you'd probably have to review its code Cheesy

Most likely in a similar way Trezor communicates with MyTrezor. There's a plugin for Electrum that allows you to control your Trezor.
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 06:21:18 PM

Trezor keeps the keys in itself separated from the online environment to which it is connected to. Transactions are signed on the device and sent to the online computer. Exactly the same as Cold Storage, but with the convenience of being able to be online.

For info on how it does it you'd probably have to review its code Cheesy

Most likely in a similar way Trezor communicates with MyTrezor. There's a plugin for Electrum that allows you to control your Trezor.

Ok so private keys never touch the internet... but you need to enter MyTrezor to generate new receiving keys yes? Why can't I generate new receiving keys offline?
Also it works in a way that generates the wallet with a seed phrase. Im paranoid of this method... im used to using Bitcoin Core with wallet.dat knowing that no one can generate my wallet through brute force (im paranoid about methods like this since the brainwallet scandal), also I don't need to store some really long seed.. this is giving me a headache. Im just so used to Bitcoin qt for years that everything else makes me paranoid and confused to deal with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: