Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:42:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Casascius 10BTC silver BitCoin (UK)  (Read 607 times)
turtleIam (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 12:42:46 AM

Hi,

I've been scouring the web, and auctions sites, to find an (unused) 10BTC .999 silver BitCoin in the UK, but so far nothing.

Does any one know where I can? Or is any one willing to sell one they own?

Importing them from other countries would cost a fortune as our UK customs are quite strict, and will impose rather significant costs to claim the coin.

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
turtleIam (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:16:01 PM

Going to give this a last bump.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:25:43 PM

I doubt you will get it cheaper, than directly buying it from the US.

BTW. Casascius "loads" the coin only after you revived it. So when it goes through customs it has only the value of the silver. Shouldn't be so high.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
turtleIam (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:41:19 PM

I doubt you will get it cheaper, than directly buying it from the US.

BTW. Casascius "loads" the coin only after you revived it. So when it goes through customs it has only the value of the silver. Shouldn't be so high.
I'm not too concerned about getting it cheaper than from the manufacturer.
It's just with silver imported the UK, I've heard you get charged 20% VAT of the value of the coin plus the spot price of silver.
So, if I'm correct, the fees would amount to: ~£20(spot)+£4(vat) = £24 on top of the price of buying the coin itself.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 09:49:12 PM

Assuming we're talking about when I have silvers in stock...

if you receive the coin via regular CD/DVD envelope mail shipping and have me omit the presentation box, 99% of the time it slips through and nobody notices it.  In fact, I have never heard of anyone ever having customs care about anything that fit in a CD/DVD envelope.  It is always express mail that gets their attention, and sometimes boxes, that are a magnet for being charged VAT by customs.  The way I ship it, by the way, it's hard to even tell it's a silver coin (when you see it you'll know what I mean, but I don't want to spoil it).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
doghouse

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 09:50:53 AM

What we need (in the UK) is somebody trustworthy to build on Casascius' work, and start "minting" their own physical bitcoins in the UK under a different "brand". Mike has already laid the path with the BTC Address Utility he's written. This way we can solve the problem of import duties and delivery. However, it will need some work building the reputation and trustworthiness Casascius already has. I'm surprised nobody else has gone through the effort to make physical bitcoins.
turtleIam (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 03:56:54 AM

Assuming we're talking about when I have silvers in stock...

if you receive the coin via regular CD/DVD envelope mail shipping and have me omit the presentation box, 99% of the time it slips through and nobody notices it.  In fact, I have never heard of anyone ever having customs care about anything that fit in a CD/DVD envelope.  It is always express mail that gets their attention, and sometimes boxes, that are a magnet for being charged VAT by customs.  The way I ship it, by the way, it's hard to even tell it's a silver coin (when you see it you'll know what I mean, but I don't want to spoil it).
I've heard off two people from IRC and BTC-e.com chat who got hit with charges by UK customs, not sure by how much.
I've also found this on reddit about a guy who sells UK casascius coins who has also been hit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/17xql4/first_dedicated_uk_based_casascius_physical/

What would be great is if someone who is taking a trip to/from the US/UK brought some through in their hand luggage, I think this way they are unlikely to be hit Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: