Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:46:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we use the same wallet.dat file on 2 different laptops simultaneously  (Read 597 times)
cryptoheadd (OP)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 05:23:06 PM

Hey,

Can we use the same Wallet.dat on 2 different laptops at the same time?

Thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 07:05:40 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2016, 08:20:17 PM by DannyHamilton

You should be very careful about taking advice from users that are participating in a paid signature ad campaign.  They generally know very little about bitcoin, and need to maintain a high quantity of posts to generate their desired income.  As such, they will typically make up complete nonsense and give horrible advice just to get a post into a thread.

EDIT: The incorrect responses have been removed by a moderator.
This is one of those situations.  The three users (all three participating in paid signature ad campaigns) that have all responded to you in this thread so far have answered incorrectly.

While it is technically possible to use the same wallet.dat file on 2 different laptops simultaneously, there are a few rather significant risks that could result in confusion (at best) and permanent loss of your bitcoins (at worst) if you don't know what you are doing.
cryptoheadd (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 07:12:53 PM

You should be very careful about taking advice from users that are participating in a paid signature ad campaign.  They generally know very little about bitcoin, and need to maintain a high quantity of posts to generate their desired income.  As such, they will typically make up complete nonsense and give horrible advice just to get a post into a thread.

This is one of those situations.  The three users (all three participating in paid signature ad campaigns) that have all responded to you in this thread so far have answered incorrectly.

While it is technically possible to use the same wallet.dat file on 2 different laptops simultaneously, there are a few rather significant risks that could result in confusion (at best) and permanent loss of your bitcoins (at worst) if you don't know what you are doing.

Haha.
Thank you for your reply.
Will keep that in mind.  Grin

Will create another wallet, so as to avoid any problems.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2207

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 08:08:26 PM

I've removed all the posts that contained bad advice, as it will risk your wallet, and that's not something I can agree with. If you want to complain, feel free to do so in Meta. Thank you DannyHamilton for keeping a watchful eye.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
cryptoheadd (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 08:10:01 PM

I've removed all the posts that contained bad advice, as it will risk your wallet, and that's not something I can agree with. If you want to complain, feel free to do so in Meta.

Thanks.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 08:19:07 PM

I've removed all the posts that contained bad advice, as it will risk your wallet, and that's not something I can agree with. If you want to complain, feel free to do so in Meta.

Thanks.

If you want to use the same wallet over different systems use a HD wallet like Electrum or Multibit. They can mitigate some(!!!) of the risks Danny is talking about. I would say - even with an HD wallet - its not a good idea for different people to use the same wallet on different systems as there is always the chance that both create a transaction that spends the same coins at the same time or very short after eachother. If you are however using the wallet alone I see no issue when its available on different machines, besides maybe that its more likely to get compromised.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 04:50:29 AM

you can use the same wallet.dat on 2 laptops but this can cause many troubles so it's recommended not doing so. if the 2 laptops are not synced together due to nodes or internet problem, you may mistake the balance and transaction between 2 and create a-never-confirmed transaction also known as attacks. Anyway 2 laptops 1 address, you can lost your bitcoin if one of them are not carefully protected
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: