Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:40:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peer-to-peer cloud web server  (Read 2033 times)
Bazil (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:56:21 PM

So I was thinking about what's going to happen if Bitcoin starts getting banned by major governments.  They will no doubt get server's like the one this forum is on shut down.  So I was thinking why not come up with an open source distributed peer-to-peer web server which is on all of the computers which make it up.  Not sure how the addressing would work exactly, but probably you would have a program on your computer that essentially makes your computer a node in the cloud, as well as creates a new protocol (Like telnet, http, ftp) on your computer and allows your browser to connect through it.  

When someone made an allowed change (like making a forum post), the change would be distributed through the network through all the peers.  A person couldn't see the change until it reached them.  This might also work for chat rooms, newsgroups ect.  But it would be very useful for a market like mtgox.  That way even if it was attacked, they would have to take down all of the computers in the cloud instead of just one computer.

I'm not an expert in C however, so I couldn't do this myself.  I'm mostly into the interpreted languages like javascript and PHP.  Any ideas, flaws, improvements?

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 05:05:04 PM

So I was thinking about what's going to happen if Bitcoin starts getting banned by major governments.  They will no doubt get server's like the one this forum is on shut down.  So I was thinking why not come up with an open source distributed peer-to-peer web server which is on all of the computers which make it up.  Not sure how the addressing would work exactly, but probably you would have a program on your computer that essentially makes your computer a node in the cloud, as well as creates a new protocol (Like telnet, http, ftp) on your computer and allows your browser to connect through it.  

When someone made an allowed change (like making a forum post), the change would be distributed through the network through all the peers.  A person couldn't see the change until it reached them.  This might also work for chat rooms, newsgroups ect.  But it would be very useful for a market like mtgox.  That way even if it was attacked, they would have to take down all of the computers in the cloud instead of just one computer.

I'm not an expert in C however, so I couldn't do this myself.  I'm mostly into the interpreted languages like javascript and PHP.  Any ideas, flaws, improvements?

This has been thought about much on these forums and in the past as well:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+net => freenetproject.org
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tor => torproject.org (see TOR Hidden Service)
I2P Anonymous Network

etc.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Bazil (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:53:01 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 06:13:02 PM by Bazil

I don't think any of those projects are quite what I'm saying.  Individual things are for the most part centralized.  This would be more like bittorrent for web browsing and communicating.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: