Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:53:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some more questions, I appreciate all help  (Read 932 times)
Icy- (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:07:32 PM

What exactly are blocks and how are they valuable, what are they used for? Won't there eventually be so many blocks that it takes months to download them all? It took my PC a few hours but mine is more powerful than most with a very high speed connection...

Also what is this currency backed up? The USD is apparently backed by gold, but what gives value in this currency?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:08:33 PM

Also, how does this program work? Can't the creator give himself 10000000000000000000 bitcoins?
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:11:00 PM

start here. this should answer the majority of your questions. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9430.0

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:13:54 PM

Blocks are containers for transactions. Blocks are difficult to create and chained together, which means each block found serves to protect all the transactions that came before. In the future, you may not have to download full blocks or any blocks at all, as there are ways for a modified Bitcoin to function without them.

USD is not backed by gold. It used to be, but now it is only backed by the promise that the government will pay its debts. What gives Bitcoin its value is that other people are willing to trade goods and services for it. Exactly the same as with gold, just a shorter history.

No, in a sense. Anybody can "give themselves" as many bitcoin as they want, but the rest of the network won't see that as valid. Satoshi and the other early adopters had to mine every bitcoin the old fashioned way, though at an admittedly low difficult compared to today's.
Icy- (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:25:45 PM

Blocks are containers for transactions. Blocks are difficult to create and chained together, which means each block found serves to protect all the transactions that came before. In the future, you may not have to download full blocks or any blocks at all, as there are ways for a modified Bitcoin to function without them.

USD is not backed by gold. It used to be, but now it is only backed by the promise that the government will pay its debts. What gives Bitcoin its value is that other people are willing to trade goods and services for it. Exactly the same as with gold, just a shorter history.

No, in a sense. Anybody can "give themselves" as many bitcoin as they want, but the rest of the network won't see that as valid. Satoshi and the other early adopters had to mine every bitcoin the old fashioned way, though at an admittedly low difficult compared to today's.

Okay, but what gives bitcoins value? We would still need USD/EUROS, ect otherwise for it to work, right? I'm having a hard time explaining this to others like my family as I hardly understand it myself even after reading those long wikipages.
Calavera

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:37:47 PM

Nothing gives it value.

Bitcoin gets it's value because a) it's rare and b) people are willing to exchange it for goods/services/other currencies.  People are willing to do b because they think that they themselves will be able to exchange it for goods/services/other currencies,  perhaps getting even more in the future than they're giving you for it now. 

Keep in mind that most currencies today aren't backed by anything.  The main differences in that sense between bitcoin and some fiat currency is that a government controls the supply of the fiat currency and usually there's a law saying that you must accept the local fiat currency to settle an existing debt.  The second part is important, and it's something that fiat currencies have but bitcoin doesn't. 
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:40:00 PM

Okay, but what gives bitcoins value? We would still need USD/EUROS, ect otherwise for it to work, right? I'm having a hard time explaining this to others like my family as I hardly understand it myself even after reading those long wikipages.

It's the same thing that gives gold value, that people trade their goods or services in exchange for bitcoins/gold. No other currencies are necessary in order to determine the value of a bitcoin, it's just that right now merchants still pay their expenses in dollars. This means that they set their price in dollars and then convert to bitcoins based on exchange rate. In the future, it could be that most merchants pay most of their bills with bitcoin, so they can price directly in the currency as opposed to dealing with exchange rates.

The only reason people want dollars is so they can pay for things they need or want. The same is true for bitcoin, except it's also a good vehicle for storing value (saving).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: