Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:21:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum or MultiBit?  (Read 3173 times)
ashkanb (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 07:12:39 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2016, 09:38:31 PM by ashkanb

this info about locked account is not about any online wallet, but about bitcointalk account problems.
yes i do understand that; i was thinking of associating a btc address with my bct username thought it would be better to have that address on a desktop wallet.
essentially it only started me thinking of being more serious about my credentials and assets in crypto world!

@Amph & @maku
sure i'll look up the bitcoin core prune mode but if i cant sign messages in it, wouldn't it be a serious limitation?

I might be a bit off-topic here, but I figured I would just ask.... Why go for a desktop wallet? Would it not be better to go for a hardware wallet like Trezor  instead? I feel that is our best bet, other than cold

storage at the moment. I do not know of even one Trezor that was compromised since it started.. The cost is relatively low, if you consider the security it gives you. The free options always come at a cost, so I

would much rather invest in something solid.  Roll Eyes

I know the question is for the thread starter to answer but I would also like to answer it - don't mind me Sad.

I'd like to get a hardware wallet (especially Trezor) too because of the security issues people talked about. However the problem is that it is expensive. Well, how one define 'expensive' and 'cheap' is different from person to person. I think that as long as we take the precaution to protect our wallets, there is no need for a hardware wallet. Unless one is running a big Bitcoin/crypto related business, a softwallet (but not browser based) would be good enough.

I will still purchase a hardware wallet when I am not in a tight budget though since there will be less worries. :p.

sure a hardware wallet would be a very secure option;
i'll definitely consider it when i have a ton of coins that are a major portion of my assets;
for now its a bit too expensive for my taste! $100 plus god knows the cost of shipping it to Iran!
i cloud get a decent card to add to my gpu mining rig for that price!

thatnks everyone for your posts and great inputs, really much appreciated  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 07:22:37 PM

Remember that bloom filters make your wallets and transaction history easier to track (for privacy-concerned people). And that you should always wait for several confirmations (at least 3, probably 6, maybe more would be best) with lite nodes since they do not validate.

maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 07:33:37 PM

@Amph & @maku
sure i'll look up the bitcoin core prune mode but if i cant sign messages in it, wouldn't it be a serious limitation?

This is untrue. Bitcoin Core allows you to Sign Message with no problem. Here is a tutorial how to do it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0#post_core0100
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 07:55:55 PM

I have both and prefer more electrum, personal experience and I think its safer than Multibit Classic, Multibit HD is doing some steps forward to match Electrum security. But both are far more safer than any web wallet.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2016, 08:15:02 PM

wow this conversation is really picking up!

this info about locked account is not about any online wallet, but about bitcointalk account problems.
yes i do understand that; i was thinking of associating a btc address with my bct username thought it would be better to have that address on a desktop wallet.
essentially it only started me thinking of being more serious about my credentials and assets in crypto world!

@Amph & @maku

I might be a bit off-topic here, but I figured I would just ask.... Why go for a desktop wallet? Would it not be better to go for a hardware wallet like Trezor  instead? I feel that is our best bet, other than cold

storage at the moment. I do not know of even one Trezor that was compromised since it started.. The cost is relatively low, if you consider the security it gives you. The free options always come at a cost, so I

would much rather invest in something solid.  Roll Eyes

I know the question is for the thread starter to answer but I would also like to answer it - don't mind me Sad.

I'd like to get a hardware wallet (especially Trezor) too because of the security issues people talked about. However the problem is that it is expensive. Well, how one define 'expensive' and 'cheap' is different from person to person. I think that as long as we take the precaution to protect our wallets, there is no need for a hardware wallet. Unless one is running a big Bitcoin/crypto related business, a softwallet (but not browser based) would be good enough.

I will still purchase a hardware wallet when I am not in a tight budget though since there will be less worries. :p.

sure a hardware wallet would be a very secure option;
i'll definitely consider it when i have a ton of coins that are a major portion of my assets;
for now its a bit too expensive for my taste! $100 plus god knows the cost of shipping it to Iran!
i cloud get a decent card to add to my gpu mining rig for that price!

thatnks everyone for your posts and great inputs, really much appreciated  Smiley

since there's been so many replies here, in just a few hours, i was thinking of changing the subject of the thread making this a discussion of all the different OSX desktop wallets.
what do you think? should we go for that?

AFAIK the only hardware wallet shipping now that works on iOS at present is BitLox. CoolWallet does also but they are sold out.

ashkanb (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 05:23:58 PM

Remember that bloom filters make your wallets and transaction history easier to track (for privacy-concerned people). And that you should always wait for several confirmations (at least 3, probably 6, maybe more would be best) with lite nodes since they do not validate.

what exactly are bloom filters if you don't mind me asking; and the fact that i have to wait for several confirmations is limiting thanks for letting me know.

@maku
thanks for link; very informative.

@BitcoinNewsMagazine
BitLox is quite curious looking.

I prefer to use MultiBit, but if you curious it better you try both and you will feel yourself the difference. Cheesy
i got them both and fiddled around in them a bit; threw away a bit of transaction fees (lol) and decided i'm going to keep them both but work with electrum for the time being; it just felt more at home, you know..  Smiley
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 06:19:46 PM

neither, use core with prune mode, it's everything you ever need, yes i understand the missing features such a off line signing, but i'm sure it can be added in the future(dunno why they didn't already)

It would still require downloading the blockchain or would it not? I don't mind not having some features but don't want to download the whole blockchain, if this can be done without it, I'd give it a shot.

@OP I have tried multibit in the past, actually I installed it as my first wallet and had a little trouble with it, must have been totally my fault as nothing is wrong with the software but then I switched to Electrum and have never even thought of switching to something else after that. So my recommendation to you would be that.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 07:39:17 PM

Both Electrum and Multibit HD support Trezor but if you have passphrase protected wallets they will only show up in Electrum, not Multibit HD. Something to consider. Also Mycelium on Android shows all Trezor passphrase protected wallets .

So if you have a Trezor and want all the features of myTrezor.com on another wallet use Electrum or Mycelium.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: