Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:15:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the end is near....  (Read 3738 times)
Scientician!

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:24:20 PM

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Schumer et al. have *not* called for shutting Bitcoin down. I haven't read anything where they even call for investigating it. They want Silkroad taken down.

And when they find they cant actually behead SR on a whim, or at least without a seriously concerted SIGINT effort (taking away resources from things like, oh , i dunno, parsing cell phone traffic and automating voice recognition and algorithmically translating arabic, etc etc) they will go after the exchanges. Just my prediction.

Happy mining!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RomertL

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:30:41 PM

Haha good point proudhon. I also agree with earlier comment that governments can never stop bitcoins entirely, for that they would need to seize all hdd:s and servers in the whole world that store bitcoins. That, of course, will never happen. What they can do is, like mentioned earlier, banning all the the sites that exchange bitcoins or accept it for payments. That is, those based in the country of the government in question, in this case US. If most other countries act like US, we will end up exchanging bitcoins in the same countries we today use for "anonymous" offshore-banking and webhosting: Isles of man, Panama, Cayman Islands, Channel islands etc. For the user, the physical location doesn't really matter so this will not change much. Another thing the governments can do is to use scare-tactics and propaganda (already happening), but that will only (maybe) change the exchange-rate, never kill the currency.

If mighty US gov. seriously tries to kill the Bitcoin, I say it's a good thing for two reasons: 1: They will fail and look stupid which will probably refrain many other governments from trying, and 2: The Bitcoin, surviving a attack from the worlds most powerful government, will look a lot more solid and reliable...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

alexbasasa

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 07:36:39 PM

Buying and selling drugs and distributing copyrighted material should be illegal in the US, that way people will stop doing those things!

LOL Grin
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:39:09 PM

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Schumer et al. have *not* called for shutting Bitcoin down. I haven't read anything where they even call for investigating it. They want Silkroad taken down.

"It's an online form of money laundering used to disguise the source of money, and to disguise who's both selling and buying the drug," [1]
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:48:09 PM

"It's an online form of money laundering used to disguise the source of money, and to disguise who's both selling and buying the drug," [1]

Oh, I read that. But what do they mean by "it"? Silk Road does have a tumbling system designed to obfuscate sources for transactions, it's likely they're referring to that way of using Bitcoin, not Bitcoin itself.

Certainly it's possible there will be calls to ban Bitcoin wholesale later on, but as long as none of the politicians are publicly making the case that Bitcoins are just criminal, anyone calling for them not to ban it just ends up making the case there are reasons to ban it.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:10:55 PM

I've heard they just want to buy some bitcoins cheap.
Anonymous

June 09, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

Silk Road buyers should start accepting cash in the mail just to make their heads explode...
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:32:33 PM

1. Make bit coins illegal. Price plummets

3. Buy tons of bitcoins through sites that don't listen

3. Make bitcoins legal.

4. Profit.
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:38:51 PM

with the title i thought someone let off a nuke. so much drama on the site the past week.
AnonymousBat

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:50:18 AM

Silk Road buyers should start accepting cash in the mail just to make their heads explode...

This.

Bitcoins are basically cash anyway, the only risk is the cash being 'lost' in the mail.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: