Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:03:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heads up for people planning to use Ubuntu 16.04  (Read 1180 times)
droark (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2016, 08:08:47 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2016, 05:18:43 PM by droark

According to the Core team, Ubuntu 16.04 won't install Python 2 by default; it'll be Python 3 by default starting at 16.04. Armory users will need to manually install Python 2.7 per the instructions in the page. I'll try to get a 16.04 VM spun up and see what all is needed to make Armory happy, then I'll send out a PR (probably just a documentation update).

EDIT: Just gave Beta 1 a spin. Had no problems compiling Armory as currently recommended. Seemed to run fine too. Am trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe Beta 2 (out tomorrow, AFAIK) will shift? I doubt it but who knows.

EDIT 2: Looks like it was a quasi-false alarm. If you're running the full Ubuntu desktop, you should be fine. If you're running a minimal version, a bit of manual intervention may be necessary, although I'd imagine that the packaging system would take care of that automatically when installing Py2 packages like Twisted.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 12:57:23 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2016, 01:40:45 AM by unamis76

Downloaded Ubuntu and setting up a VM a few minutes after you posted, it's finishing installing now... I'm giving it a shot too to see what's up. Also want to check up on Ubuntu Cheesy

EDIT: Bitcoin Core 0.12 runs perfectly out of the box on the daily image I've downloaded from Ubuntu's website. I've downloaded the Core tar from bitcoin.org, which I assume is what most people do. Also tried adding the repository, which doesn't work, as expected. Armory however does not install from the deb, which I again assume is the way most people try to install it.

EDIT2: downloaded the offline installer and did dpkg -i *.deb, errored out. Did apt-get install python2.7 and terminal requested me to do apt-get -f install, which I did and in the end it said "Armory installed successfully". So I'm having success with both Core and Armory too... Doesn't seem to be breaking any compatibility so far whatsoever (at least it installs, not sure if it runs fine Cheesy). Tried with Armory 0.93.3, BTW, can try later with the most recent test versions.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 07:00:49 PM

Just checked your edit. I also thought it was really odd to have a Core dev experiencing issues and things went smooth here.. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: