Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [AVALON] - I got my ASIC Thread (Batch #1)  (Read 43585 times)
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 04:57:31 PM

I think it was because of the stacking system they designed, which I think is quite ingenious for cooling purposes. I realized early on I needed some pincers, unfortunately I didn't have any at the time, so it made for a pretty frustrating experience for mee too Tongue

Anyway, Darklore, add another 2 units for Romania (for a total of 6) - Thorvald mentioned he got 2 units too earlier this week.

Do you know where I can read more about their ingenious stacking system?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 04:58:30 PM

I forgot to mention but I received my batch 1 Avalon yesterday. So add one for Canada.

Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:18:19 PM

No idea, I just remember Yifu or Zhang posting at some point about how the casing is designed to be part of the heatsink. And I noticed how well the units clamp down on each other if you stack them. It was obviously intended that way - when you stack several units on top of each other, the outer casing of the stack becomes one giant heatsink.
BitSyncom

Activity: 336

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:23:47 PM

No idea, I just remember Yifu or Zhang posting at some point about how the casing is designed to be part of the heatsink. And I noticed how well the units clamp down on each other if you stack them. It was obviously intended that way - when you stack several units on top of each other, the outer casing of the stack becomes one giant heatsink.

This is correct, the "bolt" exclusion from top of one unit's case fit directly into the "socket" of another unit's bottom plate.

Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:58:34 PM

How many units high can you safely stack?

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 06:35:18 PM

This is correct, the "bolt" exclusion from top of one unit's case fit directly into the "socket" of another unit's bottom plate.

Excellent. That will make for one very practical setup - just stack all your units on top of each other. There might be minor differences in temps as the one at the bottom will draw in relatively cooler air, but the differences should be minor.

By the way BitSyncom, I must say I like the case design and appreciate the fact that it's solid aluminium - it is very sexy in an raw industrial design sort of way Smiley

Now excuse me while I go and rub my hands all over it...

Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 08:36:11 PM

In pictures from their warehouse with units being prepared for shipping they've shown stacks 6 units high. But if you have a solid base that's not wobbly I guess you can probably stack even more... It all depends on the weight the bottom unit can support. I think Yifu or Zhang know the real numbers here.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:56:18 PM

Excellent. That will make for one very practical setup - just stack all your units on top of each other. There might be minor differences in temps as the one at the bottom will draw in relatively cooler air, but the differences should be minor.

By the way BitSyncom, I must say I like the case design and appreciate the fact that it's solid aluminium - it is very sexy in an raw industrial design sort of way Smiley

Rub it for me too!

I try to be respectful and informed.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 10:02:25 PM

ewww... don't do it! the oils from your dirty hands will destroy the heat dissipation properties of that lovely aluminium.

(*joking of course*)  Grin

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
BitSyncom

Activity: 336

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 10:13:40 PM

In pictures from their warehouse with units being prepared for shipping they've shown stacks 6 units high. But if you have a solid base that's not wobbly I guess you can probably stack even more... It all depends on the weight the bottom unit can support. I think Yifu or Zhang know the real numbers here.

I recommend 5 per stack.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 11:07:43 PM

ewww... don't do it! the oils from your dirty hands will destroy the heat dissipation properties of that lovely aluminium.

(*joking of course*)  Grin

I will disinfect it, and afterwards burn candles and incense to cleanse the area of my unworthy presence. All hail Lord Avalon who bringeth the hashing goodness. lool

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 02:05:37 AM

now don't go and lose $500,000 worth of BTC this time. Wink
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 04:09:59 AM

now don't go and lose $500,000 worth of BTC this time. Wink

No Sir I shall not. Now try to imagine how many Avalons 25K BTC could buy.

dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

Received Avalon batch 1 today unfortunately at my old address in another state (Australia). Will post picture when I finally get it hopefully tomorrow!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 02:50:54 PM

Received Avalon batch 1 today unfortunately at my old address in another state (Australia). Will post picture when I finally get it hopefully tomorrow!

Congrats! Make sure you stroke it gently - I hear it hashes better that way lool

coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:53:24 PM

Woo hoo!   Grin

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:54:06 AM

Is that really the DHL van that delivered your unit or just some random occurence Smiley? If the first then congrats! Smiley

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:16:48 AM

Woo hoo!   Grin

cool, you spotted them first,  thats what I call hashing anxiety  Shocked
dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 08:58:27 AM

Finally hashing!

Now I can concentrate on what's important. Making Bitcoin music

YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 09:56:04 AM

Crysis??

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print