Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:55:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [AVALON] - I got my ASIC Thread (Batch #1)  (Read 43585 times)
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:18:02 AM

dafuk DHL guys mined your avalon and after weeks deliver you?
Yeah... DHL...
Very believable that some random DHL driver KNOWS about bitcoin and KNOWS that the box he has in his truck has an Avalon in it and then he risked his job and prosecution to steal the package and mine with it for a month.   Then, after mining for a month, he decides to risk his job AND prosecution to repackage the shipment AND HE WOULD NEED TO PRINT NEW LABEL (express labels do not work if the date is wrong) and then smuggle the box back into DHL's system.
Does not seem very likely does it?   So, why don't we look toward someone else who could have STOLEN this pre-paid unit and MINED with it?   
Or, alternatively, why don't we try to figure out why an avalon that was COMPLETELY wrapped in the plastic (look at the un-boxing photos) could have gotten full of dust.  And how the dust could have been spread so nicely around (not just piled up near the holes), almost like the fans were running?
Any ideas?

Are you saying a competitor paid off DHL, took the package, mined with the unit while they tested and reverse engineered it, and then put it back into DHL's system?

What company would be so desperate to have a working ASIC that they would resort to such measures?  Maybe if they were trying for months and kept promising shipping soon or next week...
Any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:59:03 AM

yeah, It looks like that because of the flash of my camera. But It was dark dust, I used a duster to clean it and became dirty entirely of grey/dark dust. here:

http://postimg.org/image/lxxfwj3hx/

It would have had to of been running for a significant time to build up that level of dust.

tidus_13

Activity: 290
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:10:45 AM

It was sent 18-Apr, left China 08-May. It arrived at my country 14-May, I received 16-May. via EMS Priority.

So someone in china mined with your avalon 20 days?  Avalon sent to EMS Priority 18-Apr and only 08-May left china....

But did you tested the avalon? does it run correctly?
WinTame2012

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

Official sponsor of Microsoft Corp.

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 01:28:31 PM

So this was EMS (not DHL). Mess!
I think BitSyncom may want to reconsider the channel they used for shipping with EMS. And it will not harm to stick big f-ng red label FRAGILE on each box sent via EMS.

May the WinTame Power be with you!
http://wintame.com
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:35:43 PM

dafuk DHL guys mined your avalon and after weeks deliver you?
Yeah... DHL...
Very believable that some random DHL driver KNOWS about bitcoin and KNOWS that the box he has in his truck has an Avalon in it and then he risked his job and prosecution to steal the package and mine with it for a month.   Then, after mining for a month, he decides to risk his job AND prosecution to repackage the shipment AND HE WOULD NEED TO PRINT NEW LABEL (express labels do not work if the date is wrong) and then smuggle the box back into DHL's system.
Does not seem very likely does it?   So, why don't we look toward someone else who could have STOLEN this pre-paid unit and MINED with it?   
Or, alternatively, why don't we try to figure out why an avalon that was COMPLETELY wrapped in the plastic (look at the un-boxing photos) could have gotten full of dust.  And how the dust could have been spread so nicely around (not just piled up near the holes), almost like the fans were running?
Any ideas?

Are you saying a competitor paid off DHL, took the package, mined with the unit while they tested and reverse engineered it, and then put it back into DHL's system?

What company would be so desperate to have a working ASIC that they would resort to such measures?  Maybe if they were trying for months and kept promising shipping soon or next week...
Any ideas?
No just saying there is no way plausible to think the courier company stole these units.  Interesting that it sat somewhere in the process so long though.   Read his post about dates and movements.

shbtc

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 06:39:13 AM

Anyone is thinking about getting A/C like this for the summer?
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=4462  and just point the hose towards avalons?

Don't do that. The hose is the exhaust.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:37:40 AM

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=4462  and just point the hose towards avalons?

if you want to focus cool air on a particular rack enclosure or device, swap out the louvered vent and connect the included 6 foot flexible cooling duct
shbtc

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:38:45 PM

if you want to focus cool air on a particular rack enclosure or device, swap out the louvered vent and connect the included 6 foot flexible cooling duct

hmmm. I've always seen similar units hooked up with the hose going out the window. Maybe those units were different.
iammagicmike

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:53:58 PM

not just that. By simple mining you wouldn't chop off of a part of plastic casing. It looks like some rodent took a bite on this stuff!

if you mean this damage:

then no, that looks just like from being banged with the large heatsink.

Were the plastic parts still present in the box?

Also, it would be interested to know the tracking (dates) of this box, how long has it been shuffled around in customs warehouses?

very unpleasant, when I picked up the parcel at the custom office I could feel the noise of detached component parts.. when I first opened the case at my place It was a mess, a lot of plastic parts, detached screws, scratches, spots of silicon grease all over the case. here:

http://postimg.org/image/pcanq674d/ 
http://postimg.org/image/gpuw5uhmt/
http://postimg.org/image/h5npvpnd9/

I forgot mentioning that one of the screws of the detached module is missing, never received it. Even worst, I'm unable to adjust the screws properly on that module. It seems like the bagels of the heatsink are distorted. This may explain why I received it detached and damaged...

It was sent 18-Apr, left China 08-May. It arrived at my country 14-May, I received 16-May. via EMS Priority.

The dust looks greenish-yellow to me.  I wonder if it is pollen, and if it could be useful to locate the unit has been.

yeah, It looks like that because of the flash of my camera. But It was dark dust, I used a duster to clean it and became dirty entirely of grey/dark dust. here:

http://postimg.org/image/lxxfwj3hx/

18-APR: Shipped
08-MAY: Left China
14-MAY: Arrived in country
16-MAY: Received shipment

So my thoughts about the for the delay from 18-APR to 08-MAY are about the Chinese Labor Day.  If I understand correctly, many businesses are closed for the better part of a week.  I can see this adding to the delay. 

I don't suspect foul play, but that dust certainly makes me curious. 

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

LTC: LPGSryKuT2BaEcDBg6VWHwusXj5N8ynu3M
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:25:37 PM

I don't suspect foul play, but that dust certainly makes me curious. 
The dust being concentrated on the edge of the fan blades means that the fans were working: http://postimg.org/image/lxxfwj3hx/. Clearly someone used this unit before this picture was taken and it was not in Avalon's labs.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:49:32 AM

clearly those fans were whirring away for quite some time.

and this is batch 1! paid for in August??

there are only 1-2 possibilities of who is responsible.

why all the 'dhl/ems/bfl/pixies' did it nonsense?

Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:31:37 AM

Maybe the fans were used prior to being placed inside the unit?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: