Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:48:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: does unocoin giving away kyc detail to authorities?  (Read 1599 times)
prakar.t (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 01:43:03 PM

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/india-cracking-bitcoin/

Although OP could not disclose which authority he was speaking with, he did note that the authorities had some questions regarding a particular customer[/b] of Unocoin, whose information was not requested.

also one one particular thread in the forums it has mentioned that IT dept raided unocoin and took dvd with customer details.
is this true?

may be it is compulsory on exchanges to give away detail to authorities.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ReckLess.6

Activity: 44
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 02:40:50 PM

AFAIK, CoinSecure customer's KYC details have also been handed over to authorities as part of escrow.ms investigation. In fact, it was inevitable as escrow.ms laundered his coins by trading on CoinSecure.
prakar.t (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 05:27:19 AM

coinsecure i can able to understand because it is p2p trading. also there wud hav been court order for that case for which coin secure has to agree.

but unocoin directly buy from users and sell to users. also nothing bad have happened in unocoin. in any case it is correct on their parts to inform all users that their details were given.

are the admins on this forum?or should i send an email to them asking this?

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 12:02:48 PM

coinsecure i can able to understand because it is p2p trading. also there wud hav been court order for that case for which coin secure has to agree.

but unocoin directly buy from users and sell to users. also nothing bad have happened in unocoin. in any case it is correct on their parts to inform all users that their details were given.

Coinsecure handed over details that were only relevant to that customer due to the investigation.
No other details were handed over and wont be under any circumstances unless there is a legal request to hand over.
We certainly did not provide a blanket DVD of all our customer data or anything of that sort.

I would rather flush our data than hand over blanket information to authorities.

ReckLess.6

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 12:16:19 PM

Coinsecure handed over details that were only relevant to that customer due to the investigation.
No other details were handed over and wont be under any circumstances unless there is a legal request to hand over.
We certainly did not provide a blanket DVD of all our customer data or anything of that sort.

I would rather flush our data than hand over blanket information to authorities.
No need to exaggerate. If u flush customer data denying a legal request to hand over blanket information to authorities, you'll land up in jail.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 12:20:35 PM

No need to exaggerate. If u flush customer data denying a legal request to hand over blanket information to authorities, you'll land up in jail.

If it is a legal request, We dont have a problem complying.
There is a problem if this request comes without that.

ReckLess.6

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 12:23:24 PM

hmm... its not difficult for authorities to get a legal order if they customer information from any bitcoin service locating in India.

By the way, where is Pankaj Bhardwaj now? Is he still in jail?
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 12:28:12 PM

hmm... its not difficult for authorities to get a legal order if they customer information from any bitcoin service locating in India.

By the way, where is Pankaj Bhardwaj now? Is he still in jail?

Every legal order has to go through our legal team and has to be a valid one.
There would have to be very grievous circumstances, if there is a request for all data.
Depending on which, Lawyers decide what our next steps are.

Not sure of Pankaj. We were not involved in any way, so nothing came up to us apart from a document request.
But I am aware, that the case is a lot more complicated involving several other crimes which I am not in a position to vet or disclose.

prakar.t (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 01:02:31 PM

benson-

what it means by "relevant" to that customer? how any one else can be associate in such a crime? that person bought bit coins from coinsecure and mis used it. how anyone else can be "related" or involved in this. if some body sell bit coin to coinsecure and that person bought it for illegal purpose from coinsecure does the seller also get into trouble?
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 01:05:28 PM

benson-

what it means by "relevant" to that customer? how any one else can be associate in such a crime? that person bought bit coins from coinsecure and mis used it. how anyone else can be "related" or involved in this. if some body sell bit coin to coinsecure and that person bought it for illegal purpose from coinsecure does the seller also get into trouble?

By that customer, I meant Pankaj.

prakar.t (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 01:14:08 PM

benson-

got it.but what i was meant to ask was who gets "related" to one customer if that customer does something illegal?
if that customer had bought bit coins from someone through coin secure, did that other customer get into trouble?
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 01:17:16 PM

benson-

got it.but what i was meant to ask was who gets "related" to one customer if that customer does something illegal?
if that customer had bought bit coins from someone through coin secure, did that other customer get into trouble?

Coinsecure is an algorithmic trading platform.
Trades get distributed across users. Am not sure what your question even means.

prakar.t (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 01:24:06 PM

benson-

Coinsecure is an algorithmic trading platform.
Trades get distributed across users. Am not sure what your question even means.

ok. i am asking from a general perspective.not targeting coin secure or anything Smiley
in your case,after he was caught,i do not understand why govt would be interest in an exchange's other customers. i do not understand what kyc detail they wanted from you apart from Pankaj's who they had caught already.
prakar.t (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 05:30:18 PM

sorry benson. i misread your reply. you said you gave away only the involved person's details and that is very genuine from you. please ignore my question about coin secure.

it would be great if other exchange also told us what policy they follow.unnecessary disclosure of customer details seems like wrong to me. particularly feel concern about the dvds which uno coin gave.
nagatraju

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:42:01 PM

Is this situation going to make trouble to Unocoin or it's customers in near future?  Is present Unocoin transactions continue without delays?
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 11:37:28 AM

Hello,
Yes Unocoin had an query regarding a specific customer last year by authorities. Unocoin has complied to submit his KYC documents and cease that customer account after getting a legal order from the concerned department. This is about 10 months ago though. These were given out as a print out and not DVDs. This has not affected any other transactions or any other customers.

Regards

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 06:48:38 PM

Hello,
Yes Unocoin had an query regarding a specific customer last year by authorities. Unocoin has complied to submit his KYC documents and cease that customer account after getting a legal order from the concerned department. This is about 10 months ago though. These were given out as a print out and not DVDs. This has not affected any other transactions or any other customers.

Regards

Do you mind disclosing who was this person or what he had done ? Also how are we suppose to believe our details are safe with Unocoin ?
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 04:20:46 AM

Hello,

Regards

Do you mind disclosing who was this person or what he had done ? Also how are we suppose to believe our details are safe with Unocoin ?
The identity of the person cannot be disclosed. He was caught red-handed by the authorities. So Unocoin was summoned visit the authorities and was also asked to provide his KYC that was acquired while getting that user sign-up. You can read the privacy policy on Unocoin.com.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

simple_love

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 05:18:31 AM

Hello,

Regards

The identity of the person cannot be disclosed. He was caught red-handed by the authorities. So Unocoin was summoned visit the authorities and was also asked to provide his KYC that was acquired while getting that user sign-up. You can read the privacy policy on Unocoin.com.

out of curiosity was he caught because it was bitcoin related or because bitcoin was only a means of his crime? i don ot understand how people can do illegal stuff while using an exchange that solely uses bank transfers. it would be good to keep everyone aware of even the bad ways bitcoin can get used.

bitcoinisfurture

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 05:41:17 AM

I hope the data will remain same with Unocoin. Because its the trust that people have registered with you all and trading ensuring that it that utmost care is taken when it comes to KYC details.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: