Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:25:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Exchange Fee's?  (Read 1137 times)
buybtc (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 04:51:49 AM

What is the average fee these exchanges for you buying Bitcoin typically?

I saw bitcoinordic was 9 percent fee this is about right ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:19:53 AM

I think MtGox is 0.6% and BitInstant is 2% with Dwolla and 4% with cash deposit.
I think Coinbase charges $0.15 + 1% fee. (source: http://blog.coinbase.com/post/34357253898/you-can-now-buy-and-sell-bitcoin-by-connecting-any-u-s)

Not sure about any others but they're probably similar.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:23:40 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 10:58:19 PM by DannyHamilton

I think BitInstant is $4 + 3.99% with cash deposit
I think BitFloor has two options.  With option one (a market order) you pay a 0.4% fee.  With option two (a limit order) they pay you a 0.1% bonus.
I think MtGox is between 0.55% and 0.6% depending on the size of the order.  (although you may pay some fees just to transfer your money to them in the first place as well)

EDIT: As of 2013-04-17 BitFloor has ceased all operations.
buybtc (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:24:11 AM

I think MtGox is 0.6% and BitInstant is 2% with Dwolla and 4% with cash deposit.
I think Coinbase charges $0.15 + 1% fee. (source: http://blog.coinbase.com/post/34357253898/you-can-now-buy-and-sell-bitcoin-by-connecting-any-u-s)

Not sure about any others but they're probably similar.

Oh yes that's about right. What would be fair if someone bought w/ credit card if you could?

buybtc (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:26:38 AM

I think BitFloor has two options.  With option one (a market order) you pay a 0.4% fee.  With option two (a limit order) they pay you a 0.1% bonus.
I think MtGox is between 0.55% and 0.6% depending on the size of the order.  (although you may pay some fees just to transfer your money to them in the first place as well)

Yes, so mt. Gox is .55% so $10 worth of Bitcoin would be a $5 fee roughly ?
Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 05:30:16 AM

It's a 0.55% fee so 10 worth of bitcoin would have a fee of $0.055

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:31:16 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:06:48 PM by DannyHamilton

EDIT: As of 2013-04-17 BitFloor has ceased all operations.
A $5 fee on $10 worth of Bitcoin would be 50%

.55% would be a $0.06 fee on $10 worth of Bitcoin ($0.055 rounded up to $0.06)
buybtc (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:31:27 AM

It's a 0.55% fee so 10 worth of bitcoin would have a fee of $0.055

Oops ya read that wrong got it!
mitty

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:35:27 AM

MtGox is 0.6% for less than 100 BTC, then 0.55%, and continues to decrease based on volume.  You can see their fee schedule here: https://mtgox.com/fee-schedule
$10 worth of BTC would have a 0.6% fee so 6 cents worth of fees. (unless you previously bought 100+ BTC)

Oh yes that's about right. What would be fair if someone bought w/ credit card if you could?
I don't think you can buy BTC via credit card anywhere since credit card transactions are easily reversed.  You could get a cash advance and then buy BTC using cash deposit, but there are huge fees involved with doing this. (most credit cards charge ~20% for cash advances)

The cheapest option is probably to create and verify a MtGox account and transfer funds in using Dwolla.  Your easiest option is to use BitInstant and pay via Dwolla.

Good luck!
buybtc (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:38:11 AM

I don't think you can buy BTC via credit card anywhere since credit card transactions are easily reversed.  You could get a cash advance then buy using cash deposit, but there are huge fees involved with doing that.

Yes, just using a hypothetical what would be a fair charge if someone could use it.

I don't think you can buy BTC via credit card anywhere since credit card transactions are easily reversed.  You could get a cash advance and then buy BTC using cash deposit, but there are huge fees involved with doing this. (most credit cards charge ~20% for cash advances) The cheapest option is probably to create and verify a MtGox account and transfer funds in using Dwolla.  Your easiest option is to use BitInstant and pay via Dwolla.
Good luck!

Thanks! yes, I had a feeling this would be the best route agreed thanks for the input.
mitty

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:53:25 AM

I think credit card transaction fees are around 2-3% so I'd guess the fee for buying BTC with a credit card would be 4-5% if it ever became a reality.  I highly doubt credit card companies would protect people running bitcoin exchanges from chargebacks though.

Another option is https://localbitcoins.com/ - LocalBitcoins lets you search for people in your area who are selling coins so you don't have to deal with online exchanges, moneygram, bank transfers, etc.  The downside is that you need to find someone in your area (could be hard depending on where you live) and that it seems like a lot of people on that site charge huge fees.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 09:22:23 AM

I think credit card transaction fees are around 2-3% so I'd guess the fee for buying BTC with a credit card would be 4-5% if it ever became a reality.  I highly doubt credit card companies would protect people running bitcoin exchanges from chargebacks though.

Another option is https://localbitcoins.com/ - LocalBitcoins lets you search for people in your area who are selling coins so you don't have to deal with online exchanges, moneygram, bank transfers, etc.  The downside is that you need to find someone in your area (could be hard depending on where you live) and that it seems like a lot of people on that site charge huge fees.

I tried to charge huge fees, too until I couldn't wait anymore. Then I accepted some 5% offer and reduced my fees to 0%. Now people queued up.

I really hope localbitcoins doesn't turn greedy and stays as a low fee high anonymity platform for those who are flexible.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 02:41:02 PM

I tried to charge huge fees, too until I couldn't wait anymore. Then I accepted some 5% offer and reduced my fees to 0%. Now people queued up.

I really hope localbitcoins doesn't turn greedy and stays as a low fee high anonymity platform for those who are flexible.

Doesn't that guarantee you have a loss? Assuming you buy those coins back from an exchange, you'll have to pay their fees. And that's before taking in the risk that the cost to buy them back rises? None of that is an issue, of course, if you are just looking to get out of bitcoins and someoe else is looking to get in. Then everyone saves on fees.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 08:40:32 PM

Doesn't that guarantee you have a loss? Assuming you buy those coins back from an exchange, you'll have to pay their fees. And that's before taking in the risk that the cost to buy them back rises? None of that is an issue, of course, if you are just looking to get out of bitcoins and someoe else is looking to get in. Then everyone saves on fees.

That's my point: If you have no time, you accept the fees of market makers. If you have tons of time, be an expensive market maker, too. If you have somewhat time, act as a really cheap market maker.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: