Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:05:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Video Series Available  (Read 2852 times)
Zebulon Pike (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:16:27 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2013, 02:36:16 AM by Zebulon Pike

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but...

CBT Nuggets (IT Training video company), has made a series of videos about Bitcoin!  There are a bunch up already, and more on the way.  I have only watched the first couple, but they are pretty in-depth and cover a wide range of useful topics.

http://bitcoin.cbtnuggets.com/

Best part, is that they are free (normally their content is only available with subscription).  There is an ask for bitcoin donations, but that's more a way to measure interest in making more videos in the series.

It's a great introduction for new users, and even though I have actually learned some things, I feel like this is one of the best places to start someone who is interested in learning about BTC.  How do we use this as a resource for newbies?

Edit:  To deal with the browser issues that some people were having, we moved the videos from the original lander to a new sub-domain on our own site, at the link above
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:51:24 PM

none of the videos are loading...
Zebulon Pike (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 05:58:45 PM

I haven't had any problems...  What device/browser are you using?
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 06:01:38 PM

I haven't had any problems...  What device/browser are you using?

chrome on mac

Code:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) http://ittraining.cbtnuggets.com/crossdomain.xml/
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) http://ittraining.cbtnuggets.com/crossdomain.xml/

You do have an issue so maybe check into that
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 06:06:20 PM

The videos loaded for me with Chrome on a Mac, but not with Firefox on a Mac.
Zebulon Pike (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

Yeah, I am also using chrome on a mac, and it is loading fine.  It seems like they aren't loading in Firefox for Macs right now for some reason, which we are looking into, but I know that it works in chrome and safari on Macs.
clipcoins

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 06:39:12 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but...

CBT Nuggets (IT Training video company), has made a series of videos about Bitcoin!  There are a bunch up already, and more on the way.  I have only watched the first couple, but they are pretty in-depth and cover a wide range of useful topics.

http://ittraining.cbtnuggets.com/bitcoin_training/

Best part, is that they are free (normally their content is only available with subscription).  There is an ask for bitcoin donations, but it looks like that's more a way to measure interest in making more videos in the series.

It's a great introduction for new users, and even though I have actually learned some things, I feel like this is one of the best places to start someone who is interested in learning about BTC.  How do we use this as a resource for newbies?

Head on over here http://www.clipcoins.com  and upload them!

Opened Now: Clipcoins.com
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 06:47:16 PM

Yeah, I am also using chrome on a mac, and it is loading fine.  It seems like they aren't loading in Firefox for Macs right now for some reason, which we are looking into, but I know that it works in chrome and safari on Macs.
Ok well for chrome on mac on two different macs isn't working so you probably want to check into that...
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 06:53:38 PM

worked fine for me on windows 7, chrome.

i didn't watch much of it, but it looks good. i have a hard time sitting down and watching long videos about subjects i know already, that's all. i should send this to my gf... but i doubt she cares nearly as much as i do. Cheesy

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:01:37 PM

I must say that I went into watching that with the mindset of a youtuber and was bored to death in the first 2 minutes. But once I changed my mindset to that of an employee or developer looking to break into Bitcoin and actually learn something, I found the video fascinating and well documented. He is a good teacher and I enjoyed the video.

Zebulon Pike (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:27:51 PM

gweedo, what Mac OS/version of flash are you using?  It seems to work for most in Chrome on OS X 10.6-8 with flash version 11.5.31.xxx

We may be able to recode so that it will fallback to HTML5, but I have been leaning hard on the dev team for this already, so I can't promise that's at the top of their list...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:36:42 PM

I must say that I went into watching that with the mindset of a youtuber and was bored to death in the first 2 minutes. But once I changed my mindset to that of an employee or developer looking to break into Bitcoin and actually learn something, I found the video fascinating and well documented. He is a good teacher and I enjoyed the video.

thats exactly what we want, professional videos, not aimed at the armchair activist populaton. but actual professionals

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LoveSosa

Activity: 69

EFFECT.AI▲Decentralized network for A.I

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:49:55 PM

This shit is boring what I'd like to see is someone walk the streets doin random crap for coins.

JustJake

Activity: 60

Numisalis - Physical Tradable Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Why does the narrator sound like he is about to laugh the entire time?  I guess the times that he actually is laughing don't count.  Kind of annoying.  Also does not get to the point very quickly.
Zebulon Pike (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:58:00 PM

@franky:  That's exactly what we were going for, something that would be informative enough to get past the "what is it?" point and help users get the most out of Bitcoin.  Glad you like it, and feel free to share it anywhere you want.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 08:38:56 PM

@franky:  That's exactly what we were going for, something that would be informative enough to get past the "what is it?" point and help users get the most out of Bitcoin.  Glad you like it, and feel free to share it anywhere you want.

it's excellent.  thanks.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 08:39:52 PM

Why does the narrator sound like he is about to laugh the entire time?  I guess the times that he actually is laughing don't count.  Kind of annoying.  Also does not get to the point very quickly.

i disagree.  the joviality makes Bitcoin less intimidating.
Zebulon Pike (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 08:48:06 PM

gweedo and others:  We are currently adding HTML5 backup and re-encoding the videos so that they should stream in any browser and on mobile devices. 
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:23:38 PM

I get this error in Chromium on Linux:

"The video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported: http://s3.amazonaws.com/cbtnuggets-streaming-free/cbtn_bitcoin_2.mp4"

Maybe I need a plugin or something to player that file format?

I can download from the link it gives in the error message and play in a standalone player.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:41:14 PM

I just watched this with a friend and I am sorry to say but this was very confusing for her, and she knows a little about how bitcoin works and she was still confused. Also when I showed her the one about bitcoin-qt you missed some points and ran over them fast. A symbolic link would work better then just having an icon with the -datadir parameter. Another quick thing on that video, you talked about how the bitcoin wallet creates new addresses in the background, I think they don't need to know that if they are a first time user. Plus you should have say it has a keypool and when it needs to refill that it will.

I was really hoping this was going to be a good video training thing especially since huge companies use you guys, but again it just something that doesn't met the mark of what people need to know.

P.S you have a lot of errors going on with files not found and that is why the video wasn't working in the beginning maybe double check your CDN or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: