Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:15:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold storage - Question  (Read 1398 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 06:22:02 AM

For those that are tech-savy and want the best protection possible you are welcome to use this: https://susestudio.com/a/kp8B3G/ciyam-safe

(it uses QR codes for 100% air-gapped security)

i'm not a fan of installing something from the web to protect my coin, i have nothing against your software, but one never know

I am pretty tech-savy I know all shit about viruses and such...
I have windows 10 installed since its been out and never had any virus infect my pc but you never know what can happen in future so I think hardware wallet is best solution for me

windows 10 is not really ideal for saving your coin on a codl storage, or even worse running an hot wallet
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 06:31:13 AM

i'm not a fan of installing something from the web to protect my coin, i have nothing against your software, but one never know

You can find the source code here: https://github.com/ciyam/safe

(the download is just a SUSE "live" distro with the CIYAM Safe source code and Bitcoin - also remember this is purely for offline usage)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 11:05:05 AM

use a non-infected device in the first place, (do a secure erase before using it) then you're fine to use your usb even online

you don't need to buy expesive HW like trezor, just be vigilant and don't download random stuff from the web

my hotwallet was never hacked, and i've done with it plenty of transactions

while this is true for someone who knows what he is downloading and doing online (you), it is untrue for technically-unsavvy people which OP probably is. so my advice is always: buy a hardware wallet. there are cheap ones too.

@Towelielie
good choice. have fun with it.  Smiley

I have windows 10 installed since its been out and never had any virus infect my pc but you never know what can happen in future so I think hardware wallet is best solution for me

that is good. you should also think about splitting your funds if you own a large amount of coins. a paper wallet would be good for that.

maybe this is interesting too:

https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 12:10:05 PM

just for the record i want to add that windows 10 is a privacy hazard. Microsoft has officially added their own keylogger to their windows. this doesn't mean viruses or any danger to your bitcoin, just that you should say goodbye to your privacy if you use windows 10.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Towelielie (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 03:39:10 PM

just for the record i want to add that windows 10 is a privacy hazard. Microsoft has officially added their own keylogger to their windows. this doesn't mean viruses or any danger to your bitcoin, just that you should say goodbye to your privacy if you use windows 10.

Dont care if NSA, microsoft or wahtever spy on me, dont have anything to hide
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 03:39:53 PM

Dont care if NSA, microsoft or wahtever spy on me, dont have anything to hide

I guess you'd better hope that they would never decide to steal your BTC then.

BTW - are you going to share with them your bank account details and any other financial details as well (as you seem to trust them so much then I guess you should)?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 05:09:45 PM

For those that are tech-savy and want the best protection possible you are welcome to use this: https://susestudio.com/a/kp8B3G/ciyam-safe

(it uses QR codes for 100% air-gapped security)

windows 10 is not really ideal for saving your coin on a codl storage, or even worse running an hot wallet

Wndows 10 is also practically a virus in itself.

Possibly would be a good didea to test that site on somewhere like virustotal.

You wouldn't really use software for cold storage as it is supposed to be offline.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 07:20:32 AM

You wouldn't really use software for cold storage as it is supposed to be offline.

Huh?

You certainly can run software offline (and in fact every hardware wallet requires software for signing raw transactions).

What you don't want to do is give the offline software internet access or access to something like an infected USB flash drive.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: