Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:12:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridiculous Transaction Times  (Read 612 times)
Fishbones78 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:53:32 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2016, 08:44:50 PM by Fishbones78

Hi.
So since I have returned to Bitcoin, all of the transactions are taking nearly an hour if not more to get a single confirmation. This seems stupid to me, and it really puts me off Bitcoin. I buy things with Bitcoin but have to wait an hour to receive the item. I deposit into dice sites, and have to wait an hour to roll.

This is because of the small block size right? As if in my transactions can't fit into the next 6 blocks (approx.) so I have to wait 7 blocks to be moned for my transaction to confirm once? I'm not sure but that's what I think causes it? Yes I am paying a reasonable fee, all of my transactions are marked high priority.

Even if that isn't what causes it, it's really, really annoying. It's holding Bitcoin back if you ask me.

EDIT: Yes, I did write this whilst I was (and still am) waiting for a transaction to confirm once - coming up to an hour now. Took 62 minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 07:56:39 PM

What kind of fees are you using?

Personally, I haven't had any troubles getting my transactions confirmed in the first block after my transaction with the regular recommended fee of 10k satoshi. Are you sure it takes multiple blocks and it is not just the time it takes to find a block that is longer by chance?

If you are using sufficient fees there should be no reason for your transactions to take a long time to get included.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:25:38 PM

Another post from someone who has used bitcoin forever,
but doesn't even know the most basic parts of the system.

I'll bet this person paid little to no fee.
There have been five blocks found since the OP created this thread.

If he isn't in a block yet, then there is no fee attached.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Fishbones78 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:37:20 PM

I said in the original post that I give a fee, so yes, I do know that you have to use fees for miners to bother with your transaction ('the basic parts of the system'). Don't jump to conclusions!  Tongue

Personally, I haven't had any troubles getting my transactions confirmed in the first block after my transaction with the regular recommended fee of 10k satoshi. Are you sure it takes multiple blocks and it is not just the time it takes to find a block that is longer by chance?

If you are using sufficient fees there should be no reason for your transactions to take a long time to get included.
I also use a 10K Satoshi fee.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:38:15 PM

Transaction times are not ridiculous, they're instant. How are they marked high priority? Did you calculate priority yourself?

As for dice sites, most required X confirmations before crediting.
Fishbones78 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:39:17 PM

Transaction times are not ridiculous, they're instant. How are they marked high priority? Did you calculate priority yourself?

No. Blockchain.info regards them as high priority. The dice site I was using requires 1 confirmation, and even in the client (as well as blockchain.info) I was still seeing 0 confirmations. It's just annoying that one of the bragging points of Bitcoin is transactions in minutes, but to me it really doesn't seem true.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:40:41 PM

Are you willing to provide the Tx ID of the transaction, so that we may see why you are having a delay?

It is possible you paid an appropriate fee, but the total size of your tx was much larger, thus needing a larger fee.
What was the data size of your tx?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:41:00 PM

No. Blockchain.info regards them as high priority. The dice site I was using requires 1 confirmation, and even in the client (as well as blockchain.info) I was still seeing 0 confirmations.

Blockchain.info seems to be quite inexact calculating priorities, so no reason to really take their word... Cheesy

And your inputs? Probably the issue is there.
Fishbones78 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:43:59 PM

I said in the original post that I give a fee, so yes, I do know that you have to use fees for miners to bother with your transaction, don't jump to conclusions!  Tongue

Are you willing provide the Tx ID of the transaction, so that we may see why you are having a delay?

It is possible you paid an appropriate fee, but the total size of your tx was much larger, thus needing a larger fee.
No problem.
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/04f86b00ab6496957e35cb4b23e4bfd728954c2786b2f228069d3262d88e413c
Maybe the transaction time issues are on my end and not on Bitcoin, but I honestly don't see any problems. Once my transactions get 1 confirmation, they start gaining more very quickly.

No. Blockchain.info regards them as high priority. The dice site I was using requires 1 confirmation, and even in the client (as well as blockchain.info) I was still seeing 0 confirmations.

Blockchain.info seems to be quite inexact calculating priorities, so no reason to really take their word... Cheesy
You're probably right haha  Grin
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:49:31 PM

I said in the original post that I give a fee, so yes, I do know that you have to use fees for miners to bother with your transaction, don't jump to conclusions!  Tongue

Are you willing provide the Tx ID of the transaction, so that we may see why you are having a delay?

No problem.
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/04f86b00ab6496957e35cb4b23e4bfd728954c2786b2f228069d3262d88e413c
Maybe the transaction time issues are on my end and not on Bitcoin, but I honestly don't see any problems. Once my transactions get 1 confirmation, they start gaining more very quickly.

You're probably right haha  Grin

There have been six blocks within approximately the last half hour, but they were all close to full. When they are that close to full you have to pay higher fees to get your transaction included in a block, or wait until there is more room in the blocks. This screenshot shows the last six blocks were found within 33 minutes.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 08:57:01 PM

No problem.

Yes. After review, the issue was that you needed to pay a higher fee because blocks were full at the time.
I apologize for accusing you of paying too little and not knowing what you are doing.
Just a few more satoshis in your fee and you would have been picked up faster.

What I do is I always check the current status of the mempool, before sending any txs.
Sometimes I can send with 10k no problem, other times there is a bottle neck and I need to send 15k to 30K Satos.

These are the site I use to check mempool and fee estimates:
https://bitcoinfees.21.co/#delay
https://bitcoinfees.github.io/
https://tradeblock.com/bitcoin/

These sites should help you determine a more appropriate fee in the event of a bottleneck.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 09:32:09 PM

I mainly use mycelium with their recommended normal fee. I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than I traditionally have apart from extreme stress tests.
Arcteryx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 09:38:18 PM

I notice this delay too from the normal wait times for even the first confirmation. I now have to wait for 20-60 minutes for it.
I send in high priority to sites that usually get this transaction within minutes but in the last week they have announced they even have extended wait times as of now. When this will be rectified, it is not likely to be resolved to return to the way it was. That is just the price of complexity to the thing called the blockchain.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 09:42:34 PM

Summing this thread up: Bitcoin works correctly, but it can and will improve in the future Cheesy Glad to see everything solved
Fishbones78 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:39:17 PM

Well, I guess that the recommended transaction fee isn't always so 'recommended'! I must have always been sending BTC when the blocks were very full! Thank you everyone for the replies, I will make sure to check the block capacity (if you could call it that) in the future. But I guess that if the problem is near full blocks needing higher transaction fees, we definitely need to keep asking for bigger blocks.

Once again, thanks for all of the replies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: