Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:51:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable USB 1:1 duplicator  (Read 7116 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:06:23 PM

I've been looking for this for a while, and even searching the makerspace type hardware hacker forums, and I can't find what I'm looking for.

I need a small, self-powered (i.e. batteries) usb drive duplicator.  One source, one target.  The device looks at the source and attempts to non-destructively copy the data found on the source to the target, if the target's data is older than the source and the target has enough space remaining.  This is for the deaddrops project.

0.05 BTC to the first person that can pm me with a reference to wherever I can actually buy such a device or kit for such a device.  I am the sole judge of whether your references qualify.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tunes0710

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:59:02 PM

Something like this?

EDIT: Sorry, appears to be out of stock.. This site however reports to have one left...
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Something like this?

EDIT: Sorry, appears to be out of stock.. This site however reports to have one left...

Almost, but that device doesn't actually 'dup' anything, as the user is required to peruse the source device on the lcd screen and select files.  Still, you did find one for sale, which is something I wasn't able to do.  PM me your address, and I'll send you a nickel.

EDIT: according to the reviews, it also can't power a usb device and is notablely slow, so it wouldn't fit the bill.  I want a device that can copy at full usb 2.0 speeds, as well as provide enough usb bus power to light up two thumbdrives.  It's for this project...

http://deaddrops.com/

So that I (or anyone else) can walk up to a deaddrop location with this device and a thumbdrive with a respectable amount of freespace, plug it in for a couple minutes, and take off without ever having to stand there with a laptop in the open.  If the user wishes to place something on the deaddrop, he just turns the device around and uses his own thumbdrive as the source.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:38:28 AM

Here is another option, though I think it needs some work and might not be appropriate for this particular project.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 03:10:51 AM

Here is another option, though I think it needs some work and might not be appropriate for this particular project.

I just got a 404.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 03:25:40 AM

Hm, now I get a 404 too.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Tunes0710

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:29:46 AM

Good find error, looks like it's also available here
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:39:41 PM

Could be perfect, but I can't tell yet.

vikingboy

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:00:52 AM

I was able to find this..

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Portable-Duplicator-Tester-EZ2USB/dp/B003N4D7BE
Brummett

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:13:24 AM

The two most recent links look like they would work, although the ports are on the same side, so using them on most dead drops would render the other ports inaccessible.  Cords would solve this problem, but that seems less than ideal.

Have you considered making one?
Jessy Kang

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:21:19 AM

So that I (or anyone else) can walk up to a deaddrop location with this device and a thumbdrive with a respectable amount of freespace, plug it in for a couple minutes, and take off without ever having to stand there with a laptop in the open.  If the user wishes to place something on the deaddrop, he just turns the device around and uses his own thumbdrive as the source.

What about an Android phone with USB OTG support?

http://youtu.be/giJXF5pIITc
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:36:23 AM

What about an Android phone with USB OTG support?

http://youtu.be/giJXF5pIITc

Might work, but I'm not willing to buy a new phone for this.  I'd prefer a standalone device.

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:37:35 AM

The two most recent links look like they would work, although the ports are on the same side, so using them on most dead drops would render the other ports inaccessible.  Cords would solve this problem, but that seems less than ideal.

Have you considered making one?

I would make one, if a kit were available, say from adafruit.

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:38:33 AM

Not portable enough. 

Brummett

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:00:59 PM

I'm interested in finding something like this as well, although not for dead drops.

I'm just a super sketchy guy  Cool
RevolutionMaster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:01:32 AM

It's not the cheapest, but you could use something like this:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino/ <- $40
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-for-arduino-pro-mini/ <- $20
It's an arduino USB 2.0 controller, and if you hardwired a small USB hub into it, you could possibly engineer something out of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: