Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:34:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the groundbreaking new encryption app set to revolutionize privacy.  (Read 1370 times)
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 09:50:17 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/02/silent_circle_s_latest_app_democratizes_encryption_governments_won_t_be.html

Will this be as revolutionary as the article claims?

Will this be useful for Bitcoiners?
(You could hide the fact that you were making a trade or deal using Bitcoin and nobody would know your Bitcoin address except you and your trade partner.)

cjgames.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 09:57:10 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/02/silent_circle_s_latest_app_democratizes_encryption_governments_won_t_be.html

(You could hide the fact that you were making a trade or deal using Bitcoin and nobody would know your Bitcoin address except you and your trade partner.)

Subscription: $240

Total: $240.00

Seriusly?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 10:05:33 PM

I think the author must have never used encryption before in his life, or it is possible this was a paid advertisement (unless I'm grossly missing something in his technology that the author failed to mention).

twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:02:55 PM

Even if they are legit, they are selling something probably already invented.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 12:07:14 AM

While encryption is widely known, the practice of encrypting text messages is virtually unheard of by the public.  There's a huge gap to bridge and somebody's gotta do it!

People are plenty familiar with how to send a text message.  Nobody has a clue how they'd ever go about sending one securely.  In an ideal world, people should be familiar with how to scan a QR off the screen of someone they just met in person, facilitating a key exchange for future secure communications.  Nobody seems to have any freaking clue this is even possible.

The back of people's business cards are blank.  It's a travesty that it's not STANDARD for the back of a business card to have a scannable QR of one's public key (or a URI to say where to get it and a hash to verify it), and for everyone to not know what it's for and why it's there.

So while I know very little about this app, the fact that there's such a wide gap between what the public knows is possible, and what really is possible, is kindling for something revolutionary all in and of itself.  I will bet that the reason the mobile phone companies don't make this kind of functionality standard is that there'd be repercussions if they did.  It most definitely isn't "too hard".

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:08:27 AM

I wonder if Silent Circle has ever heard of Cryptocat (http://bitcoinmagazine.com/review-of-cryptocat/)

BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 12:52:30 AM

"it has an explicit policy that it cannot and will not comply with law enforcement eavesdropping requests."

Yes that will go over well. Also charging $20 a month is not enticing for the general public.

Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:58:41 AM

For encrypted voice/video/chat, use Jitsi or RetroShare on your computer.  Pidgin has a plugin that can do encrypted chat, but no voice.  I like Jitsi.  I can just chat with people over googletalk and it's really easy for my friends to install and configure.

For Android there is Gibberbot

For Iphone there is ChatSecure.

You don't need to pay $20/month for SilentCircle.  This is plenty of open source software.  Use it.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 10:08:52 AM

For encrypted voice/video/chat, use Jitsi or RetroShare on your computer.  Pidgin has a plugin that can do encrypted chat, but no voice.  I like Jitsi.  I can just chat with people over googletalk and it's really easy for my friends to install and configure.

You don't need to pay $20/month for SilentCircle.  This is plenty of open source software.  Use it.

+1
Thanks! 
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 08:19:35 PM

This is made by Phil Zimmermann - Look it up. Also Wikipedia Profile

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
tpantlik

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:02:41 PM

I wonder if Silent Circle has ever heard of Cryptocat (http://bitcoinmagazine.com/review-of-cryptocat/)
..or BitMessage, or torchat, ...

Gods sent us a powerful tool - cryptography - to fight with those who are trying to exploit us. USE IT!!
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:38:57 PM

ChatSecure now accepts bitcoin
https://chatsecure.org/

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:15:23 PM

Yet another "one-click-app" rip-off to pump money from ignorant users.

Orbot, Gibberbot, CSipSimple are trusted free opensource apps which provide you with complete encryption of text and voice communication on Android.

iPhone is not suitable for private communication at all because their terms of service prohibit third party open source chat clients to use encryption as it may "violate" US export restrictions Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: