Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:57:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you secure a Text file with your private keys on it?  (Read 1373 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 09:52:35 AM

You can order one of these:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977486.0

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
sotisoti

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 09:09:16 AM

GPG has been there for like 16 years, I am sure it will still be there after 5 years.

Bitrated user: sotisoti.
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 09:20:51 AM

I have encrypted mine in an Libre Office 5 Writer document, added a strong password including all sort of characters (I remember it well no problem) and beside it, I also compressed it in a rar file with a sentence long password(which I can remember easily) , pretty much this is the best encryption free programs can offer you.
Ardenyham
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 07:08:39 PM

It would depend on the security of the method the private key was generated by, If it's generated by an offline armory wallet for example in a PC that was never connected to the internet would be safer than a blockchain private key.
I think I would keep the TXT file in multiple flashes and hold them in multiple vaults.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 07:25:11 PM

TrueCrypt is a good way to encrypt, double encrypt, and hide anything you want and it is also free to use. You could encrypt your entire computer if you wanted to or just a single partition.

It has also been tried and tested, and passed.
TrueCrypt is no longer developed and its developers have apparently taken down nearly everything related to TrueCrypt. luckily it is open source so there are forks of it. I recommend using VeraCrypt which is forked off of TrueCrypt. I think a good thing to do would be to GPG encrypt the text and then encrypt it with VeraCrypt for extra security.

I read about the two forks but I don't know enough about them to make a suggestion on using them.

In any way you should move away from TrueCrypt, esp. if you are using windows[1].

[1] http://motherboard.vice.com/read/encryption-program-truecrypt-has-a-critical-vulnerability

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 07:27:20 PM

How would you secure a Text file with your private keys on it?  what encryption do you recommend?

create the TXT
use encryption in 7z format ( AES-256  )
done.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 09:34:53 AM

The OP's question is wrong. It should be "how to I securely erase a text file that I put on my computer's hard drive, a file holding plaintext information that should have only been stored encrypted?"
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 09:59:00 AM

How would you secure a Text file with your private keys on it?  what encryption do you recommend?

Just print it on paper and give it to your Mom.  Tell her it's important.  She'll keep it safe.

True, right next to the family's land titles and every member's birth certificates.

@ontopic As for me, I printed the private key, laminated it and stored it in a safe.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
rinhunter

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 12:32:13 PM

if I, first take the screenshot, I print out and compress IMG files with encrypted rar, I put rar file in a special microSD, and put printed private key in my important archives
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 12:49:48 PM

Easiest is probably to male an archive od your txt file and encrypt the archive when you create it. Also, with a not so clear name, nobody will suspect the archive to contain private keys unless they know you have it and are specifically searching for it.

Printing has the theoretical weakness that the memory can be accessed to take the printed files, so make sure that also happens securely/offline/reset printer.

Handwriting and then laminating would also be a good solution.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 01:47:50 PM

You can paste in the text file the PGP encrypted message, so only you can decrypt it, for example though keybase PGP key. An alternative way is also through Folder lock but it's not free.
I will not recommend any folder lock application which give error after few use like to buy key. Its better u use pgp encryption. Frer encryption ia available at igolder.com search i cant remember exact url.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: