Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:45:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOINS: from A-Z....  (Read 2376 times)
dhayes (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:08:35 PM

Over the past weeks I've spent quite a few hours reading blogs and articles concerning bitcoin, and I have even bought a few bought a few btc.  But the more I read, the more confused I become.

It seems the majority of users on this site are extremely technically inclined.  In order for btc to have staying power, it's essential for the general public (or atleast people who have moderate computer competence) to have a general understanding of how this technology works, how to buy/sell/trade bitcoins, and how to securely store them. 

I've searched for a "bitcoins for dummies" type introduction, yet everything seems far to technologically advanced.  Is anyone in the process of creating something like this, or is something already available? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:12:12 PM

it can't be that technily.
1. download client.
2. buy coin from and exchange(mtgox)
2.1 make a account on the site
2.2 transfer fiat money
2.3 buy btc
3. transfer btc from exchange to local client.
4. trade bitcoin, and use it as payment.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:16:44 PM

I'd be happy to write an introductory primer with screenshots - anyone up for contributing toward such a thing?

Open to a reasonable bounty.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
bitlock

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:20:53 PM

Bitcoin = and encrypted store of value (enter your favorite currency)

A storage of wealth or a digital lock box - Al Gore ought to like it.

A container for currency.....
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:25:47 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 08:31:11 PM by MarketNeutral

Edit

[Outdated information]
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:52:38 PM

http://thebitcoinsun.com/post/edition1

My article in there might explain some of what is going on. It's complex no matter how you come at it.
tiptopgemdotcom
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Truly decentralized stable asset

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:58:52 PM

"Agreed. The learning curve is too steep. Techies are so entrenched in it, they can't or don't see it from the outside. I understand very little of the geek speak and jargon that flies back and forth on these forums, but I have a background in finance and mathematics, so I can kind of figure it out as I go. The oft references wiki is inadequate, but has potential. Yet the thought constantly occurs to me that there needs to be a MUCH easier user interface and clearer explanations of pretty much everything. And I'm talking dumbed down! And that goes for the monetary aspects, too. Whether we're trying to explain what P2P means, or how central banks functions, most people are misinformed or completely uninformed. Would your mother or grandmother understand your explanation of bitcoin? "

Until this is understood bitcoin will go nowhere.  Brilliant assessment MarketNeutral.  [applause]

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.PLATINUM  STABLECOINS
..USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ...

─────────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
...FACEBOOK... .....TWITTER..... ...TELEGRAM...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:06:01 PM

"Agreed. The learning curve is too steep. Techies are so entrenched in it, they can't or don't see it from the outside. I understand very little of the geek speak and jargon that flies back and forth on these forums, but I have a background in finance and mathematics, so I can kind of figure it out as I go. The oft references wiki is inadequate, but has potential. Yet the thought constantly occurs to me that there needs to be a MUCH easier user interface and clearer explanations of pretty much everything. And I'm talking dumbed down! And that goes for the monetary aspects, too. Whether we're trying to explain what P2P means, or how central banks functions, most people are misinformed or completely uninformed. Would your mother or grandmother understand your explanation of bitcoin? "

Until this is understood bitcoin will go nowhere.  Brilliant assessment MarketNeutral.  [applause]

Yeah, nobody will ever use cell phones or the internet or computers until they know how they work and are dumbed down for them.

[/sarcasm]

It's a techy thing. We're still in beta, for the REFERENCE client. Hell, if you want an easier to use client, write one! All you need is a GUI around bitcoind.
tiptopgemdotcom
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Truly decentralized stable asset

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:24:33 PM

Bitcoin has come so far, so fast- it's been a dazzling rise.  And a lot of people are doing a wonderful job getting the word out and supporting the project in many different ways.  I think if there is to be a lot more progress in the near future, some aspects of bitcoin need to be presented in a more user-friendly way.  The tech people involved are doing great things.  But we also need some people who have an outsider's viewpoint and can say "hey- my mom would never understand this as presented.  Is there a way to say it differently to make it more easily digested?"

No, surely not everyone needs to know how the technology works precisely.  That is not the point.  And when you use terms like "dumb it down" you are alienating a lot of people who are potential supporters of your cause.  The fact that people are here on the board and talking with you is important.  They are a valuable resource and can contribute a lot to bitcoin in ways that you may not be able to. 

I think that writing software is not the only way to make bitcoin better.  Also pure techies can not be the be-all, end-all of bitcoin or it will implode. 

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.PLATINUM  STABLECOINS
..USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ...

─────────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
...FACEBOOK... .....TWITTER..... ...TELEGRAM...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:27:32 PM

I'm very interested as well. We need more in the vein of that "weusecoins" video that everyone uses. I'm currently working on selling bitcoin miners, and hope to sell these to markets other than those just on this forum, but in order to do so I need to come up with some convincing materials about bitcoin itself. It'll be an interesting task, I'm sure.
dhayes (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:28:26 PM

Until this is understood bitcoin will go nowhere.  Brilliant assessment MarketNeutral.  [applause][/b]
[/quote]

Yeah, nobody will ever use cell phones or the internet or computers until they know how they work and are dumbed down for them.

[/sarcasm]

It's a techy thing. We're still in beta, for the REFERENCE client. Hell, if you want an easier to use client, write one! All you need is a GUI around bitcoind.
[/quote]

We are not arguing that we need to understand the intricacies or the technical components of how bitcoin (or cellphones, computers, or anything else) works, we simply need to be able to understand it well enough to use it with confidence.  We need to have a laypersons understanding of how bitcoins are generated, traded, valued, and redeemed for fiat currency.  

I will never be able to explain how my computer or cellphone works, but I am confident that if I have a problem, I can drive five minutes down the road and either replace it or get someone to fix it.  If someone steals my credit card information, I'll never know how they did it, but I'm confident I can call American Express and get my money back.  I will never understand everything about bitcoin, I just want to be confident that I can use it efficiently and securely.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:24:03 PM

Until this is understood bitcoin will go nowhere.  Brilliant assessment MarketNeutral.  [applause][/b]

[/sarcasm]

[/quote]

We are not arguing that we need to understand the intricacies or the technical components of how bitcoin (or cellphones, computers, or anything else) works, we simply need to be able to understand it well enough to use it with confidence.  We need to have a laypersons understanding of how bitcoins are generated, traded, valued, and redeemed for fiat currency.  

I will never be able to explain how my computer or cellphone works, but I am confident that if I have a problem, I can drive five minutes down the road and either replace it or get someone to fix it.  If someone steals my credit card information, I'll never know how they did it, but I'm confident I can call American Express and get my money back.  I will never understand everything about bitcoin, I just want to be confident that I can use it efficiently and securely.
[/quote]

Right. As in the other thread, I'm going to apologize here. Something about today really got me upset, and I don't know why. I've been taking it out in semi-aggressive forum posts, which isn't right.

I agree completely that a more basic explanation is needed, I'm just cautious because it is incredibly hard to simplify bitcoin to the point where the average joe will be able to understand it.

-Garrett
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:51:32 PM

I'm very interested as well. We need more in the vein of that "weusecoins" video that everyone uses. I'm currently working on selling bitcoin miners, and hope to sell these to markets other than those just on this forum, but in order to do so I need to come up with some convincing materials about bitcoin itself. It'll be an interesting task, I'm sure.

I made another thread about doing just that.  I'm on a phone, otherwise Id link it, but check my post history and weigh in there.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: